TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. Donna, you make me laugh as usual. Chrissie, I will eventually tell you how wonderful this is, but you may want to not read my post for about a week!

I am eating now. In fact, just ate a cookie, which made me stop crying. Finally got the new IV on the first try this morning. Then my pain started to get bad and my nurse and I had a miscommunication about this, which resulted in me full out sobbing in my room and the nurse coming back to ask why I had not called her. To which I said you told me I had to wait 45 minutes. This led to her getting defensive and me yelling at her -while crying. Those who have read my hip post will know that is no my typical behavior - mostly I am very calm and cheerful. Do wow, really hit the wall.

I do like that thing about the mind and the body. You nailed it with that!!!

Anyway, now I have the pain and nausea under controls long with the IV and have calmed myself. Hopefully things are on the upswing.

As always, thank you all for being there!!!! Hugs all around.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad they're getting your pain and nausea under control. Once they do that things do improve.
 
Oh @LaxMom. I was so so to hear you crying. :bawl:That is no way to start recovering. I am so happy to hear they FINALLY got your pain and nausea under control. You are normally calm, cool a no collected. Darn nurse!:skep:

I had my PT appointment and my PT said there is such a difference with hip vs knee as I am sure your finding out.

You are so positive. I know you will get there to help your body heal. Especially after all you have been through with your body. I know you will be walking circles soon. Drink lots of water. :martini: Get your hydration under control. You are going to be just fine. I have no doubt. :cheers:

All my best,
Kristina
 
Ah, @LaxMom... we know the first butt you want to kick once that new knee's firing, a certain nurse methinks:arrow:
I'm sure things ARE on the upswing, which is good - have fun laying in that there bed :sleeep: and don't forget to drink lots too:martini:...I mean water and stuff:)
:loveshwr:
 
@LaxMom Hope you are getting your meds on time...the first few days are the worst with the knee ( my twin sis had TKR last jan..she's waiting for date for 2nd one now).... She said once she was up & moving properly she felt much better.

Wishing you a much better day....! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone. The nurse and I have called a truce. I certainly was not at my best, but who is with pain, sleep deprivation, low hemoglobin, and dehydration.

Today I am hydrated, the poopie fairies have come, and am up a bit more. But oh my, the pain. They say it is better tomorrow. Today it is impossible to say ahead of it even with maximum doses. This is just a 'get through one hour at a time' situation.

I am going home this afternoon and think I will do better in my own environment.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Home is better in that we feel more secure and catnap more. Dont be afraid to call on medical help if you aremin pain. Good luck I loved getting home cept when dogs kept wanting to sit on me.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm right there with you LAX mom, had my surgery Tuesday as well and waiting to get discharged today(thank God). I thought I had experienced pain before, but TNR IS NO JOKE. I hope your pain was not as severe and best of luck in your recovery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi LaxMom - hope you get the nausea and pain under control quickly. So sorry to hear you are struggling.
 
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the nice and encouraging notes. What a wild ride this has been! As I fill in the details of my journey, I wanted to mention that I had my left hip replaced just 5 weeks before the right knee. As I browsed through the forum, I did not find anyone that had them done quite so close together. Part of what I want to write about here is that experience, in case anyone comes behind me with the same scenario.

So, a bit about the hip. For me, and I know this is not how it is for everyone, but for me, the hip was an absolute breeze. I had a very minimally invasive surgery with a great surgeon, did everything in my power to prepare mentally and physically and just sailed right through. Again, not this way for everyone, but a great experience for me.

That said, there were things going on in my body that I was not fully aware of until the knee surgery. First, while I went into the hip with a great hematocrit (over 12), I was only able to get back up to 11.9 post knee surgery. Second, I was and still am on coumadin. I was taking 6 mg nightly for the first 4 weeks after hip surgery, and then went to 1 mg nightly for the week before the knee surgery. Initially, I was supposed to have my knee done on 11/18, and would have had one week free of coumadin before restarting the 1 mg. Not sure if that would have made a difference, but I do think the combination of starting with a low hemoglobin and being on a blood thinner had its consequences. Everything with the knee was different - how I reacted to anesthesia (I remember being in the OR for the knee, but not at all for the hip), the nausea following the surgery, the dehydration - everything was different, and likely was related to my blood situation. Would I do this all over again knowing what I know now? Well...not sure about that. For me, my body was just falling apart and I have a goal of being well again by spring for my son's graduation from high school and final lacrosse season. I also needed to consider taking time off from work and it just seemed like a good idea to get it all done. I guess I am fortunate that I did not know all I know now! And that said, this worst part is behind me. And I now know what I am dealing with. So I am hoping to crawl out of this hole and thrive!

Next, things I would do the same for the knee and hip, vs. differently. I still love my Vera Bradley cross body bag for carrying phones and even travel mugs, ice packs around in a hands free way. A must have! But, this time, being a bit less mobile, I actually just ordered a walker with a basket so I can tote meals from the counter to the table, etc, while I am home alone. It will come tomorrow and I think it will be huge help. Microwavable bath towelettes - a must have. So easy to feel clean with no effort and I will use them until I can get the courage to climb the stairs to the second floor for a shower (that should take a week to be done with drainage anyway). Shoe situation - for the hip, I loved my Easy Spirit slip on sneakers. For the knee, I cannot even believe how swollen my entire leg, including my ankle is. Instead, I am using some sketcher sneakers with built in shoe laces that are very light weight and loose. I need the shoe horn to get them on. Not loving this, but the slip ons are just not working yet. And finally, this is an odd one my friends - cotton lady boxer shorts. I have not read about anyone else wearing them, and I was not even sure anyone made them, but I got them for the hip and am using them again for the knee. They are just so comfy.

Now to my current status - this is day 3 post op. I came hope yesterday afternoon. Yesterday morning, I was not sure I could do this, but there is surely no place like home! I feel better and more independent just being here. And, I can fall asleep in seconds just being in my own place. I came home with an 8.4 hemoglobin, and that is after getting a blood transfusion yesterday. So, I am feeling very light headed and need to take the next few days very slow and easy. Everything is a challenge, even just thinking. For meds I am taking dilaudin every 3 hours, unless like last night, I sleep right through my reminder (not that I am complaining about that!) and tylenol 650 mg every 6 hours. Also taking celebrex twice a day. In the hospital, they had me on 4 mg of dilaudin every 3 hours, but yesterday suggested 6 mg. The 6 mg finally took the pain away and made it manageable. Today, I am trying to figure out if I should do 4 or 6. As I said, I am light headed and the extra dilaudin is making me very woozy and a tiny bit nauseous (not vomitting, but just no appetite). I will ask the visiting nurse her opinion on dosing when she comes this afternoon. Both PT and the nurse are coming today. I do not expect to be doing very much in the way of PT. But, I feel a 100 times more mobile at home - just getting up when I want to rather than hitting the call button and waiting makes such a huge difference.

Swelling - holy cow, I have never seen swelling like this!!! They tell you about it, but it is hard to grasp until you see what your own body will do. Now I can understand why everything hurts - just too much fluid everywhere. And the bruising - that is crazy too. My entire right leg is black and blue as well as my arms from the assault of the IV nurse who could not find veins! Again, a lot of this is due to the coumadin/low hemocrit due to the back to back surgeries. But, this will pass. I know from the hip that it will go away. And, I do think I can move my knee more without groaning and yelling, so think that means the swelling is going down.

Constipation - I can proudly say this is one thing I did very right for the knee as opposed to the hip. For every hospital meal I ordered prune juice and stewed prunes. That combined with the stool softeners and senna, i never got to the truly miserable stage. In fact, the first think I vomited was those darn prunes! I have the nurses a scare when they saw all that black stuff - they thought I had a GI bleed, but no, just the prunes. :-) I have the dried prunes at home and just pop a few in my mouth every now and then. And, to counteract the nauseous feeling, I keep graham crackers at my bed. Works for me.

Fever - this is just the most frustrating thing. With all the narcs, I just want to sleep, but the result of that is a 99.5 fever. So, keep using my little breathing gizmo to keep a handle on it. Highly recommend it, although I find it is a pain in the butt for me.

That is all folks. I do feel like I am turning a corner and dealing with all of this better. And now, trying to be way more gentle with myself as I have, in fact, just had not one, but tow major surgeries. All the bone smartie mantras will serve me well in the coming days.

Thank you all again - my old hippie pals and me new knee pals for all your encouragement. It is so nice to just come here and say whatever I need to say. And, I hope some of my words will help those coming behind. Virtual hugs to all...
 
@LaxMom Hope this post finds to doing better and that the nausea has disappeared. I relied heavily on my relaxation CD and lavender scented eye mask the day of surgery and especially that night. Don't know how I would have managed without. Glad you were switched to Dilaudin. I know it made all the difference for me. Every other dose (doses were 3 hrs apart), they would add 2-325 Tylenols and that really helped, too. I'm hoping you are able to rest, rest and more rest. I know it was wonderful for me to get home and be able to take charge of the icing and elevating myself. I'm thinking of you and wishing you the very best. Each day that passes is a victory and one day further into our recovery. Take care and keep posting so we know how you are faring. :loveshwr:
 
@LaxMom Forgot to say how envious I am that you have already been visited by the poop fairy! :) I haven't been so lucky. Have been drinking prune juice and OS added colesce and senna but nothing yet. I've heard of an herbal tea "Smooth Moves" that also contains senna. My sister is picking some up for me this afternoon. Fingers crossed it gets things going.
 
Hi @sandbar525. Sounds like we are taking the same pain meds. I have the sane dose of Tylenol as well as dilaudin. I did feel pretty good yesterday so kept most of my doses of dilaudin to 4 mg. just took 2 mg at 2:30 - just want to be held over the night but not too drugged. I do hate how the narcs make me feel in general. Even though dilaudin is better than most it is still a narc!

As to the stools. I asked for a stool softener early in the day on post op day 1 and took it again in the evening along with 2 senna. I also had 3 servings each of prunes and prune juice on post op days 1&2 in the hospital. I was going by the night of post op day 1. When I got home on the 13th, I took 1 ducalax and 2 senna at bed time. Last night I skipped the ducalax and just used the senna. For me, once the dam had burst, shall we say, it is easier to keep on going. But I like to take the senna for a few days to keep things going. The more dilaudin you are on, the more senna and stool softener you will require. Keep the dried prunes nearby!

My biggest issue yesterday was the swelling. Tons when I woke up and even worse by bed time. My poor little ankle was puffed up beyond recognition. The visiting nurse that came yesterday (post op day 2) said that is the peak day for swelling. I certainly hope that is right!!! As I lie here at 3 am it does appear to have reduced some, but not enough.

So happy that you are doing so well. I think I am lagging in comparison due to this being the second surgery. My body is just rebelling! This can only get better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So glad you're home @LaxMom ... it's so much better being the master of your own (albeit tiny) universe, isn't it?
I can tell from the tone of your post that you have most definitely turned a corner; you are on course for a sound recovery... I know you're at the beginning of that course but at least the aimless wandering trying to find the start is past:SUNsmile:
I've taken note too of the "things I would and wouldn't do again" ... it looks like the other hip is gonna get the same treatment sooner or later so I'm making my list now in the hope that I will have forgotten the things that worked/didn't work because it is so much "later":loll:
I know exactly what you mean about what the human body is capable of... I know I posted somewhere about my nephew's crush injury (not to be confused with my son's, which was his toes and bad enough because he's my SON). My nephew Craig had his arm caught in a hiab (truck mounted crane) as it closed. He was working in a very remote area near the Argyle Diamond Mine in outback WA, long story short he was taken by Royal Flying Doctor to Darwin Hospital... which believe it or not has an exceptional trauma unit. My sister (his mum) flew up to be with him, it was a very grim time.
As Craig was conscious or semi-conscious for much of the three weeks he was there before being airlifted back to Perth, she took lots of photos to explain to him later what had happened to him and why decisions were made on his behalf; the first photo I saw I simply could not compute; it was his arm but it was easily the size of his leg... he had to have incisions made from armpit to wrist to allow for the swelling - beyond incredible. Eventually the swelling went down, he had nearly 20 surgeries, for debridement, muscle grafts and skin grafts to cover the "splits", he kept his arm but it's not functional - but none of that was to do with the swelling, it was to do with the delay in initial treatment (the Flying Doctor didn't get there for three hours and then the flight was another three... the critical six hours) If you had seen the swelling you would have thought it impossible to recover from... yup, the human body is incredible!
Glad you and the poo fairy are on good terms, it can make a world of difference to your overall comfort levels, and how:thumb: Hope you get your temp under control soon, and the balance of pain control/clarity too
thinking of you (I'm on my recliner, may have overdone it just a tad, some people never learn:rofsign:
 
@LaxMom Welcome to Knee Recovery Land! It sounds like you've finally gotten a good start after a very bumpy beginning. Being home must make a world of difference. Do you live alone? I do, and was very nervous about going home straight from the hospital. I was supposed to go to rehab first, but after six days in the hospital, they couldn't find a bed for me at a rehab facility, so I ended up going home after all. But I must say, if I had had to go home the third day after the surgery, I'm not sure I would've done very well!:rolleyes:

I like your idea of writing down "notes" about your surgery experience the first time, and applying them to the second surgery. I just had my right knee done three weeks ago, and in three or four weeks, I'm getting the left knee done. I need to go make some notes of my own!

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery! :fingersx:
 
@craftdee, you and your family never cease to amaze me! I am quite sure you have more stories you have yet to share. I think you all need to be wrapped in bubble wrap!!! So true about the human body and swelling.

And yes, I am returning to my old calm and cheerful self. However, I did remind my husband that there is only so much energy reserved for each day and when it is gone, it is truly gone. It was my way of apologizing for being very nasty yesterday. He wanted me to fix something on the computer and I had reached my limit. Poor dear. Oh well, been married 27 years - he knows the good, the bad , and the ugly by now!

@PrincessTia, I live with my husband, noted above, and 18 year old son. But, my husband works and my son had school, work, sports so during the day I am alone. We have set the house up so I can be very self sufficient. Bed in the living room, elevated toilet seat on the first floor half bath, my trusty cross body bag, and everything where I need it. The biggest challenge I have during the day is that I can maneuver around my kitchen and Island but transporting food to the table with 2 crutches is impossible. Hence, today a walker with a basket is arriving so I do not try anything stupid. I also have friends who can pop over and a hidden key in case of emergencies. And, visiting nurse and PT come by. Honestly, yesterday the nurse and PT exhausted me! I just wanted them to leave so I could peacefully do my thing!!! It is sort of like that on weekends - nice to have my menfolk around, but much less peaceful! Anyway, when we are alone, I think our bodies and minds amaze us in finding ways to cope and get by. Hope you are doing well and glad you liked the notes idea! I will also have one more surgery - my left knee - at some point in the future. So it is great to write this for ourselves, but also for anyone who will be in a similar situation. Mine is a bit unique, so I do hope someone out there is helped by it!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom Sounds like we are medicating about the same. I'm having good results with the Dilaudid/Tylenol mixture, too. I've been eating prunes, drinking prune juice and taking senna but still no results! :( I feel it can' tbe far off, though. :fingersx: Was able to lift my leg today so that felt like progress. Like you, swelling seems to be the biggest issue right now. I'm icing like mad and keeping elevated (3 pillow wedge) almost all of the time. Fortunately, sleep seems to be OK. It comes on and off but I just sleep when my body feels like it. I figure there will be time to get back into a day/night cycle further on down the road. Well, it sure feels good to be on the other side, doesn't it? Hope your swelling goes down and you are able to have a restful evening. Glad you're my Bone Smart buddy!:wave:
 
Honestly, yesterday the nurse and PT exhausted me! I just wanted them to leave so I could peacefully do my thing!!!
Boy, I understand this feeling completely! I've had some home help that I've hired who have been coming in to do the things I can't do for myself yet, and I always feel like I can't wait till they leave! Today is the first time I'm trying out having someone come only once, in the morning. I'm on my own for the rest of the day. It doesn't feel scary at all right now, just kind of exhilarating! It's much better for me this way; I don't try to do much when someone's here, but when I'm alone I get a little adventurous, and I'm much more likely to expand my limits.
 
I'm glad you're feeling better at home. I relied on my walker and basket (hubby attached my bike basket) for carrying things around. It worked great. I had the same issue with my temp- it normally stays around 97.6 and for a while after surgery it hovered in the 99.7 range, but did not cause any issues. Be sure to let your family know what you want- whether it be help or quiet. My 17 year old homeschools (via a computer course) and leaves me alone until I call or text him. He also listened for crashes! And, by the way, I think anger is normal with pain- I've been married for 23 years and my hubby knows when to back off when the pain hits. Life does get better!
 
Glad things are a little better for you @LaxMom. Sounds like you are well set up for recovering from these two major back to back ops.....I'm still amazed at your courage! Can do understand though how you wanted to merge your recoveries to be back to 'normal ' as soon as possible.
It is surprising just how much our bodies can recover from....I'm sure the swelling will go down with a little exercise, a lot of rest & a lots of icing.
Our hubbys do take a bit of a bashing don't they? I kept saying to mine.." Sorry..I don't mean any of what I'm saying really". As you say we've been married long enough to get over that (43 years in my case)
Hoping your walker with the basket arrives on time & proves invaluable...I'm sure it will......!! Take care Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom