TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PuppyLove I am not even on the other side yet, but my preop pain I am dealing with without the help of my beloved NSAID's is making me a bear. I snap at my poor hubby and then 10 mins later I am telling him I am so sorry sweetie and he says no worries. Like you gals, glad to have a loving and understanding hubby. @Hoppy Nanny I never did hear what your doc said, do you have the knee to be done in your future or was it just tendons and the like.
 
Hi Everyone,

It is so nice to log on and see so many nice notes of encouragement! Thank you!!! @sandbar525 , I am very happy you are my knee twin as well. I love your positive attitude and steady, reasonable progress. When I was struggling, I kept thinking, she is so much like me, if I did not have all these extra issues, I could manage this. And now I am! Having you has been a great encouragement! And yes, I started miraculously being able to lift my leg yesterday too.

I have great news to report and am bursting with joy to tell it!!! But first, the background - Friday was exhausting with the visiting nurse who would not leave (glad I am not the only one who harbors these feelings!) and the result was tons of swelling and an ankle that just was overflowing and bulging with fluid. As a result, I spent most of Saturday just icing and elevating. I did the ankle pumps, quads and gluts whenever I thought of them, since they do not hurt and help push out the fluid. The only PT I did was one set of bed exercise in the morning, chair exercises while I was sitting having breakfast and lunch, and a couple standing exercises while I was brushing my teeth. I like to space them like that because then it does not feel like doing anything extra and it does not overdo. I kept my pain meds and tylenol coming. The worse issue yesterday was a burpy nauseous feeling from the dilaudin. I even kept a bucket nearby just in case, and my hubby got me some minty gum that seems to help a bit. I hate the narcotics, but understand I have to take them. I am guessing the nausea is still related to the low hemoglobin. My normally fair complexion looks ghostly even to me!!!

So, now for the good news!!! My leg swelling did reduce from yesterday till today. PT came by to help me get the hang of the fine balance of things. I did all my exercises, went up and down my stairs (now I feel comfortable that I can do it), and even got on the bike. I can go all the way around peddling backwards but not forward. Not going to do that much, but it is a nice way to loosen up. My therapist took measurements and said I have all my extension and have 100 degrees of flexion!!! I am so excited to have that already. Before surgery I was only at 110. I can really imagine getting to 120 after I am done healing. What a wonderful thing that will be! I can actually put all my weight on the new knee with no pain, which means, I can see that the arthritis is gone. Just the outsides hurt, from bending and stretching with all this fluid. But, the knee is structurally sound, and works. No arthritis! I have had arthritis for 46 years. This just is so unbelievable to me!

Now, to a good thing that came from back to back surgeries. Before doing my hip, I had just started to develop chronic pain syndrome, so I was doing nothing, and not sleeping. The pain was awful. I could not even swim without pain. After having the new hip, the pain started to subside rapidly and I was able to do my PT, including strengthening my quads and going for multiple daily walks. I do think the strength I build up in the knee after the hip surgery has benefited me now in my knee recovery. So even though I am still an anemic, weak thing, my muscles are strong and supple, which is beginning to pay off.

The walker and basket came, which is nice. In some ways, I think I can just walk without crutches and carry things short distances, but with all the blood issues, I really am trying to baby myself much more with the knee than I did with the hip.

When PT left today, she said I was to not do anything further other than to sleep, ice and elevate. Sounds like a good plan, and happy to see I have very practical therapists. The knee is such a tricky balance between swelling, pain, stiffness from not moving, etc. Hard to know how to get it all right, but was reassured today that I am doing things right and it is paying off. I feel so happy, particularly after such a rough start to all this. I can visualize getting back to my old self and it is such a great feeling.

For anyone following me who I may have scared, I hope this report calms you as you get ready for your surgery. I am seeing now that this is all worth it.

Virtual hugs to all,
Sharon
 
@LaxMom I will admit that your first couple days had me running scared but so glad you are now on the upswing. Just hoping that if mine goes as scheduled with this dratted cough that I too can say in a few days that things are going well. Keep up the great recovery!!
 
@mystikfairy61, well these blasted knees are no day at the beach, that is for sure. But I did want to explain that my circumstances were very unique and affected by the double surgery whammy, low hemoglobin and blood thinners. I think if not for that, my posts would have been more similar to those of my twin, @sandbar525 .

Try not to think about it too much and just get yourself as relaxed as possible before the surgery. I did love the Peggy Huddleston recordings. https://www.healfaster.com/ And my other go to relaxation music is https://www.amazon.com/Conversations-God-Windham-Hill-Collection/dp/B00000DF9H/?tag=ate362da-20

I had this downloaded onto my iphone and used them in pre-op. Then gave them to my hubby who brought it to my room post op. Very helpful to get in the zone in pre-op, and then to just move past the pain once you are in your hospital room. Good luck to you. I hope all goes well. I will be thinking of you and sending you my prayers.
 
Oh @LaxMom I'm so thrilled for you. What a wonderful post! Isn't it funny how something as basic as being able to lift one's leg can make your day? :yes!: I know that we still have a long road to travel but I have complete confidence that we will reach our destination. I too relied on Peggy Huddleston's CD as well as one by Martin L. Rossman and think they really made a positive difference. The Rossman CD has one section devoted to healing after major surgery and I make sure to listen to that at least once a day. Terrific news about your ROM! I have my first PT on Monday and am anxious to see the number. I feel that my extension is quite good but the flexion will be iffy due to the amount of swelling. However, we need to remember that ROM is only one piece of this puzzle we call TKR! I think one of the great things about this site is that a woman from OR and a woman from MA can go through this major procedure together...gotta' love technology!:SUNsmile: Hope you have a great day and will check in with you later.
 
Hi @LaxMom - Wow, just read you knee replacement thread, what an ordeal...glad though, that you are now on the mend and feeling a bit better. I guess the first 1-2 weeks post op are bad. My hubby might be going in for bi-knee replacement and I don't know what we are looking at. I heard it is very painful at first, but then eases up. Well, i hope you have turned a corner and will be feeling a little back to yourself soon!!! Best wishes!!
 
@sandbar525 , so true on the technology end. And let's not forget our Aussie and UK pals. The best part about that is I can be sleepless at 3 am, post, and get a response.

I will have to look for the Rossman CD, have not heard of it. But positive thinking, relaxation, and community do make a difference. As does posting here. Who else understands, cares, listens, and knows exactly the right thing to say like our Bone Smarties.

For flexion, I get the best results earlier in the day before the swelling takes over. Both seated exercises - one way is to push my bad leg back with my good leg, let it rest, then try for a bit more. Or sit back in your chair, plant your leg as best you can, then move your body forward and it bends the knee. These bending exercises are ones that everyone said will hurt a bit. The trick is to get the knee loose first with other, easier things, try it, do not over do it, and then go ice and elevate. Never overdo. But you know that!

Good luck at PT on Monday. We may not always be at the same point, but we will end up in relatively the same place. :bicycle1:
 
Hi @toohip. I hope some of my comments on what is good and not so good about doing surgeries close will benefit your hubby. He will need to be extra patient, and realize that he cannot expect to breeze through this like some people do. My advice to him is to strengthen those quads as much as he can now - use the bike, do the quad isolation exercises, anything to go in strong. Get healthy in all ways possible ahead of time - well nourished, well rested, get mentally and spiritually prepared. And prep the house! The one good thing about the knees is that you can put weight on them - it is the bending and straightening that is hard, but weight bearing is ok. I was not able to do that with the hip. I guess that is the one fact that makes the bilateral knee replacements even possible.
 
Hi @LaxMom - Yes, I heard that bending and straightening is very important, in order not to build up scar tissue. Is that correct? He has good hips...it's just his knees that need to be repaired.
 
You do need to get range of motion. But, it is a fine balance of reducing swelling, reducing stiffness, keeping the right level of meds, and movement. So movement is not everything and initially not the most important thing. Just follow the BS mantras. They have it right!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom So true about the international appeal of this forum. The fact that it crosses all time zones means you are never alone no matter when you post. I've been doing the heel slide while sitting in a chair and bringing heel back as far as possible without going past the point of extreme pain, hold for a count of 30 and then release. Right now I'm doing one set of 4, twice a day. I agree, I always seem to have better results in the morning than in the evening when swelling is up. I'll let you know how PT goes tomorrow. Have a peaceful evening.
 
Hi @LaxMom Greetings from Sunny Australia:cool: we come in peace:heehee:
You sound like you're doing great, which was really nice to read. I'm so happy that your arthritic pain has gone, it's amazing that after having something as your constant companion for 46 years you can be so glad to see the back of it... mind you our neighbours across the road are thinking the same about each other at this point:rotfl: I think they'll pull through, but I do remember that sort of time period being the danger zone for my Mum and Dad.. they've been married 64 years in Feb, so they clearly got through it! We've been married 38 years in Feb, still seems fine, may not be a universal problem then:heehee:
I think that every recovery is a fine balance, knees would seem to be more temperamental than hips, your essentially "back to back" ops would have added a significant layer of complexity for sure, but this recovery may still have gone differently than you anticipated. Your advice to toohip's husband to "not expect to breeze through as some people do" is good advice, my hip recovery has gone pretty well... for my circumstances, but it feels retarded compared to some others - like I said every recovery is different and comparing yourself to another can be soul destroying.
The more constant thing about TKR is that there is little variation in technique; hips have the three or four different approaches with considerably different short term impacts, (eg I couldn't even have a knee op yet as I'm still not allowed to bend my leg towards my chest which I think is one of the knee "things" you need to do) so the recovery from one TKR is going to be more closely aligned with any other - BUT still dependent on so many variables like your general health going in and tolerance to PT etc and let's not forget that fickle lady LUCK
Anyways, hope you're trajectory continues upwards, I've gotta go, unlike SOME layabouts who shall remain nameless, I've got laundry to do, housework to wrangle, a cake to make for my son's birthday (my baby turns 30 next Monday, ye gods and little fishes, where DID that time go??) ... and of course Monday is invoice day - which is how I come to be sitting at this here computer, can't you see me typing invoices with my other hand? :rotfl:
Have a good one
Donna :SUNsmile:
 
@craftdee, All so true Donna. And even for me, the surgeries are different but I was also a different person going into the second one. So many variables! With the hip I know it may have been hurtful to compare progress to my easy road. And with the knee, I got to experience exactly what that feels like from the other side. I had a talk with my sister in law today who teaches surgical nursing. She was so angry when she heard my story. I started to think I might have been in worse condition than I realized at the time. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

So funny to hear you talk about your very active day when now I am reduced to whether or not I will do 5 heel slides or if I can manage to watch one hour of TV. Just trying to lie back and enjoy the restful knee vacation. Life will begin again with all its drama soon enough.

Oh, and I gave been married almost 28 years and would happily sign up for another 28. But one more day with rheumatoid arthritis - never!!!

G'night!
Sharon


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom. I just got caught up on your blog. Wow. You have had a roller coaster of a ride. You handle things so well. You are only a few days out. It is ok to take it easy and rest. You deserve it. Your body has been through so much. the rest will help your blood too. You are doing great my hippie twin. Keep icing so that swelling goes away.
 
Home PT came and went today. I went through my paces and got my flexion to 105! Got on the bike and was able to go all the way around - the trick was to push my foot far into the peddle and to take my shoe off to do so. A minute on the bike made the knee feel so limber and good! She said I can do a minute at a time 2-3 times a day and work up daily if it feels good.

We looked at my incision today and there is no drainage so the bandages are off and the incision is exposed to the air. This means a shower on Wednesday. Woo hoo!!!! :yes!:

The nice thing is now all I need to do is relax, ice, and elevate! Nurse is coming around 1 pm to to PT/INR. It is a cold, rainy, dreary day in Massachusetts. Good day to stay elevated, nap and watch TV.
 
es, I heard that bending and straightening is very important, in order not to build up scar tissue. Is that correct?
Very untrue---very few of us get scar tissue or adhesions---I did, but I am in the definite minority.

The truth of the matter is this---some people---very, very few people----are prone to scar tissue or adhesions---but the vast majority is not. There is no window about regaining ROM---it has nothing to do with "Scar tissue."
 
There is no "Window" for ROM---you can regain ROM all the way upwards to a year---and beyond.

I know---I did regain ROM well past eight months, when I was at 90%-95, too. My own recovery went to about a year.
 
Good morning @LaxMom Congratulations on a great first PT! It sounds like it went really well. I'll be leaving for my first PT in about 45 minutes. I'll let you know how it goes once I'm back home.
 
wishing you good luck, @sandbar525. This is actually PT session #3 for me. The VNA program here is great - they have really kept up nicely on visiting me. Next PT and nurse visits are Thursday.
 
Hi @LaxMom Had a great first outpatient PT. I outlined it in my Day 6 entry on my recovery journal. INR not so good so that is still a work in progress. Onward and upward (baby steps)! Hope you have a restful evening.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom