TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! Isn't it nice when the new knee becomes the good knee?:happydance:
 
It is a bit over 11 weeks. I find each week there is less and less to say. And that is a wonderful thing!

The news for this week is that my last PT appointment was yesterday. I get PT at my health club, which has really worked out. For my last visit I got to work on what concerns me the most and that is stairs. Sometimes, typically at the end of the day when I am tired, I feel like I am dragging myself up the stairs. Truth told, I think it is my left hip more than my right knee. I just need to develop strength. And so, we used the stair stepper machine! I have never in my life used such a machine. It was always on my list of things not to do in order to preserve my joints. But yesterday I did it! For about 5 minutes - it is very hard to do! But I did it!!! And today I felt stronger. It is so great to regain things that were lost!!!

I am off all meds. The only thing I notice is I am exhausted, as in tired to the bone, by 8 pm. Stamina is fine until then. And then I crash, but sleep well. Not a bad thing.

For anyone out there reading, I hope you kept reading to this happy place. It was, indeed, all worth it. I love my new knee.

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in supporting me. I am so grateful.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What a great recovery story!!! Believe me, your documentation will help people who are just beginning their new knee journey and I thank you so much for taking time to chronicle your recovery.
 
I find each week there is less and less to say. And that is a wonderful thing!
Ironically, that is what it is all about---we have focused on our knee or knees for a long time---the pain, the lack of functionality, the operations, the PT---and now, when the knee is doing exactly what it should---it is no big deal---which is exactly what it should be!!! Yipppeee!!
 
Here it is at week 12. I guess I should start counting in months. First we have days, then weeks and here I am at 3 months!

As I am writing this, I am on my stationary bike. 26 minutes so far at level 9. I just checked my knee and it is cool to the touch and no swelling.

My story of the week is about snow. Last week we got almost 3 feet of snow in one day. Yesterday we got over a foot. And the snow blower would not start. I went out with my husband and son and helped shovel. How normal is that?!?!? Today I am very sore but in my muscles. My knee and hip are just fine!

Now, if it would have only stop snowing. I need it to be spring!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are doing great my hippie twin. I am so glad both the hip and knee are healing. You sound like you are almost back to normal. What a great thing.
 
Happy 4 months anniversary to me! As I am in the process of moving on with my life, I sometimes marvel that so much time has passed. I remember those first 8 or so weeks when every day seemed to go by in slow motion - rest, ice, exercise, ice, rest, repeat! And now I am here - at 4 months.

So, what's new?

For one thing, I am no longer afraid of my knee. It is just me. It supports me well. I walk on snow and ice, and yes a lot of it here in New England, with the confidence that I am solid, with care, I will be ok and not fall.

And, I took my maiden bionic plane trip. This was something I both joked about and stressed about. I feared that I would set off alarms, bring on the dogs, hold up lines, all manner of things! And in reality, it was so easy. For some reason, I always get Precheck TSA status. Probably from traveling for work so much. The first time, I got to the airport early, and asked what to do with my bionic parts as they were checking my license. They told me all I had to do was ask for the body scanner, as opposed to the machine that you walk through. So, as I got to the belt, I asked and they had it ready by the time my items were going through the belt. After getting out the first time, the image showed a yellow box over my right knee, and they gave me a quick check with their hands and off I went. On the way home, I once again asked for the body scanner. This time, the knee did not even register, although I am sure it would if I went through the walk through. Not sure if this makes me feel good, or unsafe, but in any event flying was uneventful! I was a tiny bit stiff when I first got off the plane, but otherwise fine. So, if you wondered, and were afraid, just go book your trip and fly! You will be fine!

Next, I went bowling this weekend! Or, at least, what we in New England call bowling, which is actually candlepin bowling. The balls are small and lighter with no holes and the pins are, well, like candles, straighter, not what you imagine when you think of a bowling pin. My knee was fine although my left hip was a bit yikey.

I am looking forward to the melting of all this snow and enjoying the spring with my new bionic parts! Photo included of THE KNEE at 4 months.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bionic LaxMom
    knee at 4 months.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 226
What a great report!!!

Thank you so much for coming back and reporting in---you have helped quite a few folks who are in the dark days of recovery---you have shown them what awaits them! There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Enjoy your new life and enjoy that new knee!
 
Reporting back after 7 months out. My knee is great! I still do not kneel on it, but other than that, it does everything I ask of it and is pain free. The best part is it feels so sturdy. I never fear that it will go out of joint or collapse on my like it did before surgery.

I tend to cycle each morning and go for a walk with my husband each evening. It is so nice to just do simple things like walk and not be concerned. Now that the weather if finally warm, I started swimming again. Last summer, swimming was actually painful, something I had never experienced before. Now, it is great and I am strong enough to really get some laps in!

My other knee had been acting up and I had a steroid shot back in April to calm it down. It is better now and I am hoping it will stay calm until I am good and ready to replace it. Next week, we fly to Michigan State University for my son's orientation. I heard the school is huge, so I guess it will put my walking to the test. And I say that with a smile, knowing it will be fine.

I am very happy I had my knee and my hip replaced. It is good to have a normal, pain free life, and to be able to sleep at night without waking from pain. Such simple things to ask for, really, but not with a bad knee. Good luck to anyone who is deciding, or in the middle of the dark days after surgery. If you happen to be stumbling onto my post, I am here to say it is all worth it!
 
Great to hear from you @LaxMom and happy you're doing so well!
Very encouraging for those waiting in the wings and those struggling with postop!
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Great update. Glad your doing well. Nice to know after 7 months how sturdy knee fills. I often wondered. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom