Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I went to church - first time since the operation. That was harder than I thought. I am Catholic, and while I did not kneel, there was a lot of up and down, sitting and standing. I was pretty achy by the time it was over. It gave me an idea of what going back to work would be like! But, I still have 3 more weeks to improve before that happens.
You may have been a a little bit achy afterwards, but it probably was a nice feeling going back to church and gaining a little bit of normalcy. The achiness will go way in time.

Kneeling for me is weird---I can do it, but I choose not to.
 
@referee54 I am not sure what my doctor's opinion of kneeling is, but I am thinking I may avoid it as well so that my knee will last as long as possible. I worry about that since I amin my 50's. I do think I will miss kneeling in church though. And yes, it was good to,regain some normalcy.

The aches did indeed go away. This morning I rode the recumbent bike and have pushed the seat forward to get a good bend. For the first time I noticed that my new knee glides smoothly as compared to my unoperated knee. It may not have all the ROM back yet, but what it does have is very smooth. I think this might be the first positive thing I have said about my new knee! :upright:
 
I am not sure what my doctor's opinion of kneeling is, but I am thinking I may avoid it as well so that my knee will last as long as possible.
Different OS's have differing protocol about post-TKR kneeling; some forbid it, mine said that I could kneel after six months.

It sure feels weird, so I just find other ways to get low to the ground when something needs to get done down there.
This morning I rode the recumbent bike and have pushed the seat forward to get a good bend. For the first time I noticed that my new knee glides smoothly as compared to my unoperated knee. It may not have all the ROM back yet, but what it does have is very smooth.
That is tremendous! That is a victory!! It is doing what it is supposed to do---and things will get even better as you gain more ROM. That is an excellent report!
 
I asked my OS about kneeling. He said it is more of a comfort thing. If it feels OK, then I can. I was just asking b/c I like to garden. I think I will be using my gardening stool for quite a while.
 
@ConnieJOS - and you are certainly someone who would know!!! You are my inspiration every time I get down. I do not know how you did it! I compare my KNEE to having a baby. When I finally forget what the labor (or knee recovery) was like, then I can do another one, but not until then!!! Of course, I only have one son, so maybe that does not speak well for replacing my right knee!!! :heehee:
 
Hey, there must be something to that! I only have one son as well! ...and TWO knees! :loll:I did wait 28 years between my son and my first knee replacement however. :rofsign:
 
My 5 week point was Tuesday, December 16, so I am a little late with this report. But I do want a good record of what I am experiencing now, so here goes!

I know others at this point are talking about less improvements and the need for patience (like my knee twin, @sandbar525 ). I have found my experience to be different, and I wonder if perhaps it is due to the fact that I stayed with home health nursing and PT for 4 weeks, just starting outpatient PT last week. Anyway, I find that this point in my recovery is the best I have experienced. It took me a while to come to the realization that I had turned a corner, that things weren't all bad, and that I am finally at a point where I am beginning to see improvements. I had to recognize it, and then rejoice it, but here I am!

So, what is different... Quite a lot!

At some point, not sure when, sometime last week, I walked away from the crutches and cane and do not think I need them. If it is icy outside, I might try a walking stick with an ice pick point, or a ski pole, but only because of the ice. I can walk freely, and have mastered most of the gait issues I faced earlier in my recovery. I am still thinking about striking the ground with my heel, not my toe, bending my knee, and keeping a straight line, but i can do it! It should be more natural from here on, I hope.

My pain is less, much, much less. What I feel now is more of a tightness, not a sharp pain. It is true, I still have jumpy leg at night and the accompanying pain, but even less of that. What I feel during the day know is pressure when I get to the point of most bending, but not pain. And this means I can earnestly work on PT now to improve my flexion. For meds, I take 4 tramadol per day, 650 mg of tylenol 3x/day, along with Celebrex 2x/day. I am beginning to wonder if I might start to reduce or wean the tramadol. I will continue to monitor and possibly adjust this week.

Outpatient PT is terrific! I love my therapist. She pushes me but never to a point where I should not be. She has also helped me stop stressing about my numbers. She thinks I am where I should be or possibly a bit ahead, and there is no need to worry. That attitude has given me so much relief! I find it hard to look at the posts here and see other's numbers and not feel a bit down. Silly, I know. We are each on our own track, and my therapist has helped reinforce that healthier outlook for me. She also spends a good amount of each session with massage, which has done wonders to loosen the tissue around my knee cap, enabling better and easier mobility. She has taught me how to do this as well, and it has made a difference. Speaking of number, last week when I started outpatient, I was at 100 and maybe 2. Yesterday, at my 6 pm appointment, when my knee was already tired and a bit swollen, I was at 110 and zero. I think perhaps my measurement would have been even better if it was taken in the morning. I can also do 20 minutes on the recumbent bike pushed forward very far for 20 minutes. I do this several times a day. Sometimes, I have to push the seat back to get started and then can gradually move it forward. The interesting thing while biking is the new knee feels so smooth and effortless, with just a bit of tightness as the bend. At the same time, my unoperated knee sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies, with all the snap/crackle/pop sounds it makes with the bike seat pushed forward! Not hurting, but I can tell it is damaged with all the noise it makes!

I am grateful that I still have 2.5 weeks before going back to work. Now that I am more mobile and the pain levels are greatly reduced, I can use this remaining time to be diligent and consistent with PT. I can see the daily improvements and it feels great!

I am starting to help out more around the house - folding clothes, making simple meals, simple things. I can see the relief in my husband as I do this. The strain of my 2 surgeries has been a lot for him, while still working full time, commuting, and doing all the things he does for my son, like multiple college visits. He still does the majority of house chores and shopping, but at least he has a little relief.

Stamina wise, I am doing better. I am trying to take little outings every day to get used to a more active life as I prepare to go back to work in a few weeks. Yesterday was 90 minutes of Christmas shopping, today will be lunch with a friend, Friday a pedicure! Getting out tests my stamina but also makes me feel so much more whole as a person! I find I get a little achy and tired with these outings, but they are doable. I am purposely trying to see if I can go without a nap, so that I can begin to adapt to a more normal pattern as work get closer. So, instead of a 2 hour afternoon nap, I might try just lying down for 30 minutes to rest. At the same time, I am trying to work on my sleep. I realized, I am not getting enough sleep at night because I stay up to take my last dose of tramadol, usually around 11:30 pm, and then get up at 6 am, with some sleepless hours in the middle of all that. I am going to try to take the tramadol earlier and see if I can go to bed at 10 pm. I have also been experimenting with easing the jumpy leg at night. I found that if I use 2 pillows under my head, and maybe a pillow under my leg, I can sleep longer. I will still wake up in about 3-4 hours, but at that point, I get rid of the extra pillows and make and effort to not turn on a light or look at my ipad or iphone - just go back to sleep. Last night, that seemed to work - less jumpy leg pain, and slept through from 11:30 to 6:30 with just a few wakings and pillow readjustments. I do feel more refreshed this morning!

Mood wise, I am positive. I am seeing improvements in my health and life style, which makes me a happier person. I can envision going back to work - something that just a few weeks ago seemed like an impossible task. I know that I am now entering a time where I will need to be careful of balance - not overdoing my new found freedoms, and finding a way to balance things as I get more active. That said, I do think I am up to the task.

That's the report. As always, I am so grateful to everyone at Bonesmart for the constant support, suggestions and encouragement. I am grateful to my knee and hip twins, @sandbar525 and @xtina16405 for always being there, to @referee54 for his constant great advice and encouragement, and to all the others... @hbacres , @ConnieJOS , @Hoppy Nanny and all the others who have seen me through this wild ride! Hugs to all! :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting to help out more around the house - folding clothes, making simple meals, simple things. I can see the relief in my husband as I do this.
That in itself is all part of the normalcy that we crave so much!!! Soon---this will be all part of your lifestyle the way it should be---normal is great!
 
@LaxMom ---that report was not only great for you--but for many of the other Bonesmart forum members who may be struggling at this time. You report has shown them a great reason why they had the TKR or the BTKR---and there certainly is light at the end of the tunnel!!

Thank you very, very much!! You have lifted quite a few peoples' spirits!
 
Thanks @referee54 - I was certainly one of those people who wondered why I did this, and as late as last week, was tearful and still wondering. And now I am starting to see...

I do not think anyone can prepare you for what a TKR will be like. I truly believe all of us on the forum are accustomed to huge amounts of pain, and have had previous surgeries. That is certainly true for me. And yet, as much as I was warned ahead of time, I had no idea how difficult the first few weeks would be. Probably, my story was exacerbated by the two back to back surgeries, the low blood count, the weariness, etc. But still, it was so tough. If this helped anyone see there is a better day coming, I am so happy for that!

If anyone is struggling with their recovery and just started reading my thread, I encourage you to go back to the beginning of this and see how it was for me the first few weeks. Pain, nausea, vomitting, swelling, more pain...!!!

All the best,
Sharon
 
Really good detailed report. Thanks!!

With your restless legs at night, you might try a heating pad at the small of your back. That worked wonders for me.
 
Hi @LaxMom - do you mind my asking when you were at CWRU? My mom was the Assistant Registrar at the University from about 1967 until the summer of 1990 when she retired. I grew up running around that campus, working summers in her office. Such great memories! Little Italy - Corbo's Bakery and the world's best cassata cakes. I don't know why, but strange child that I was, I loved going across Adelbert to UH and having lunch in the hospital cafeteria.

My best friend's son is a year ahead of your son. He's also a lacrosse player - also a goalie. He was very fortunate to receive an offer from a D-I school in/near Buffalo. He just finished his first semester.

Honestly, it sounds like you're doing great. I went back to work at 8 weeks - it would have been nice to have more time, but really, I was ready. I made it through the day without any problems but the exhaustion would hit as soon as I got home. I got used to a very quick dinner and going right to bed. At 10.5 months, I still have sleep issues - obviously, it is 3am. But my sleep issues started with my back and chronic pain - well before my knee. It's slowly improving - sometimes I get 3 straight hours of sleep now. I agree that attitude is key - that and a sense of humor.

Sue
 
Hi @susie09 - you really must have gone back and read the whole post! LOL!

I was at CWRU from Sept 1978 to Dec 1979. I did a combined Masters in Nutrition and Dietetic Internship at Mt Sinai Hospital. I lived in the Mt Sinai nurses dorm with other interns from a variety of disciplines - nutrition, PT, etc. We were the last class of interns for Mt. Sinai. Later in life, when I was a Food Service Director at a hospital, we got a new president from the Cleveland area. Sure enough, he had been the president at Mt. Sinai while I was there and had signed my internship diploma. We got a good laugh over that. What a small world we live in! Now I am actually out of the nutrition business and work as a web product manager. A dramatic change of events, and I have to say, I love both roles.

Great about your friend's son! Lacrosse is a tricky sport, being a spring sport. My son was not a starter until junior year. He was a star last year, but D1 had already made their picks by the time they knew of him. He did just have a very interesting offer from a highly selective D3 program. But, he has decided to stay with his original plan and go to a large state university - Big 10 or SEC. I think it will work better for him - allow him to play club for a 'virtual D1 team' while still doing the other things he wants to do like study abroad, join a fraternity, etc. Exciting times ahead for him, while I adjust to my empty nest.

I can imagine what you mean about exhaustion starting work at 8 weeks post-op, which is exactly when I will start. Yesterday, I wrote in my post about trying to stop the long naps. Then, I went to lunch with a friend from 11:30 to 1:30 and had a lacrosse boosters meeting at 7 pm. By 3 pm in the afternoon, I could not keep my eyes open and ended up napping from 3 - 4:30! But then, woke up, cooked dinner for my guys and made my boosters meeting, so it is all good. I get to work from home on my laptop most days, and my boss is very supportive. I hope it all works. Sooner or later, I will need to travel for a sales meeting, and that will be the challenge - exhausting and lighting up the airport security with all my bionic parts!!!

And I get what you are saying about posting at 3 am! I am trying to purposely not turn on the light and start posting when I wake up at 3 am, but try to just readjust, go to the bathroom, grab an ice pack, whatever, but try not to break the normal sleep pattern by turning on lights or looking at an ipad or computer screen. That said, I think I get the most alerts from those wee hours of the night, so most of Bonesmart Nation is a sleep deprived lot! LOL! It is also a great time to communicate with my friends from OZ, like my dear @craftdee !

Thanks for stopping by my thread, @susie09 ! You are so right about attitude and sense of humor. I try to do the same - not always successfully! :loveshwr:
 
You are doing great and have turned the corner...way to go....I think a positive attitude is so important for recovery and not just knees...5 weeks post op today for me and I feel like a new person.......Best wishes for a continued terrific recovery....:santaclap:

Vincent
 
Thanks for thinking of me @LaxMom... I was thinking about you too today, spooky:rotfl:

Hope you're going well, it sounds like you've got over a hump in the road, so that's good :cool:

My hubby has RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome, and yes... it is a REAL syndrome!) so I feel your pain... he doesn't, he's asleep while it's goin' on... so trust me when I say I feel your pain:heehee: He is worse when he's overtired, which is just about all the time these days, lol. I hope your's is only temporary... for your hubby's sake too:heehee:

It's nearly 2am here, I'm going to go to bed and try to get some decent sleep... think I'm dreaming before I even get into bed:loll:

Talk to you soon,

Donna
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom