Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, I sure don't envy you having to go back to work! I work from home with an internet job, I can pretty much pick when I want to work and I have been working since about two weeks after surgery... but I can do that in my recliner... iced..elevated and with my laptop! I just have to be able to think clearly.. which is often a problem:snork:. I sure wouldn't want to have to get myself up and out the door and in public everyday yet!!! Enjoy your last week of kneecation...pamper yourself!
 
@hbacres , i can work most days from home on my laptop as well. I do think I need to go in a few days here and there. But I also feel like I could use some real human interaction as well. I think I am ready!
 
If the biking's working for you, go for it. It is good to get back to some normal activities. As always, be alert to the knee's signals to avoid the ODIC. :)
 
@LaxMom you are amazing! I am so impressed with your progress. I hope things go well with work. Hubby's been ill, so I delayed my job search but I will need to start soon. Good luck!
 
Chris, @PuppyLove - thank you for your constant support and encouragement. It has meant so much to me during my recovery from all this. I hope your husband is ok. It must have been much harder to do the knees at the same time. I cannot imagine! Enjoy your time off while you have it. Yesterday, I was thinking that I am actually bored and more than ready to face the world. What a difference a few weeks have made. I will need to be careful not to overdo, but I have a supportive boss and will have a slow ramp back to work.

Sharon
 
I am so frustrated this morning! Yesterday was a slow day. I did not overdo a thing. Got up this morning thinking I would go to my Pilates class for the first time since September. But, it did not happen. My knee is aching, especially in the back with not much bend. And I am exhausted. I do not feel like I can move. Just want to sleep. Now where the heck did all this come from!?!?! Maybe it is the bad weather moving in. Alas, it will be a quiet day reading on my recliner under a blanket with my ice pack. I guess I will try for Pilates again next week!

The ups and downs of THE KNEE - even at almost 8 weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Bother...just when you think you've cracked it @LaxMom My sis said this happened to her up to the 12 week stage.....energy drain out of the blue....but she's going back for her 2nd TKR this month and is ready for it! But ...would gently remind you that you've had two back to back ops (remember now? ) Your body is telling you to take it easy! You will soon be back on form....take care...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @Hoppy Nanny for the sympathy and gentle reminder! You are so right. The infuriating thing is how you can feel so good, and so bored one minute, and then it all changes for no apparent reason. We are expecting 'weather' and that is all I can attribute it to, if indeed it needs attribution at all!

I am at least patting myself on the back that I was smart enough to crawl under my blanket with a cuppa tea and not try to power through Pilates. Much as I would have liked to...

Thank you!

And as for the 2 surgeries, I keep wondering what to say to others who are considering it. I guess the answer depends on the point in time. Before hand, when I had daily pain, it seemed like a great idea. In the few weeks after the knee, it was the stupidest thing I ever did. Now, 8 weeks past the knee op, I am happy they are both behind me and I am getting back to normal. I guess I would say if you are considering it, be prepared - it will be harder than you can imagine. But, you will survive it.

I told my sister I would resume my responsibilities of caring for my mom next week - which mostly is groceries every Saturday and then doing her weekly pill boxes, followed by lunch and a visit. My sister was not having it. She wants me to wait a few more weeks. She is a wise sister, I can now see!

I guess once I do go back to work, I can expect this energy drain to raise its ugly head some more! These surgeries do have a way of teaching us patience.
 
Yay for your lovely sister...she is right! You will get back to doing everything, in time & that time is not yet. Save all your energy for going back to work...you will need it! I only had THR and it was 12 weeks before my energy levels were anywhere near normal and I'm retired, but very active.
It's the patience thing that I found very difficult...we all want to run before we can walk. You have done amazingly well....I could not have done it x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @LaxMom aka Sharon:)

Have you returned to work? I have my OS appointment on 1/12. I will be back on 1/13. I had to push my date back. My mom is having a lumpectomy on 1/8 and I wanted to be there for her since she helped me with my hip. So I pushed my appointment date / release date back.

Let me know how the energy drain works with going back to work. I am trying to prepare myself. I know it will be tough. Plus I am a sales manager and will need to set an alarm to remind me to get up from my desk so I don't stiffen up. I hope your energy lasts. You have two things to deal with too. Your positive energy will fight through it though. I cannot believe how far you have come. You are a strong woman. My hat goes off to you! :bow:

I am glad your sister told you that she will take care of mom the next few weeks . I am sure you will need the weekends to recuperate. :bath:

Happy New Year my hippie twin.

All my best, Kristina
 
Hi Kristina @xtina16405 - I was just about to write my update for the week, so you can hear all about it!

Today is 8 weeks post knee and 13 post hip. Where did the time go? And yes, this was the week I started back to work.

At week 8, there is very little new to report, but a few things that are worth cataloging:
  • When I go up stairs, foot over foot, I most often can do it with no hand on the railing. A big change from when I used the railing to drag myself up the stairs! I still need a light touch on the railing when going down, but still foot over foot.
  • My knee does not get aggravated and swell when I work it.
  • I am past worrying about ROM, having exceeded my goals and am working on strengthening and balance.
  • I still occasionally get a day where I crash - just feel awful in the knee and exhausted all over - but not often
That said, I want to talk about what it was like to go back to work after 13 weeks. On Monday, I worked from home. I spent the morning reviewing things and getting back into my old routine. I spent a few too many hours at the laptop without a break and did begin to feel very stiff, so I got up a few times to ride the bike. At 1:30, I had PT and started out feeling stiff from the morning. However, after a few heel slides my physical therapist said I had maintained my ROM and did not even bother to measure it. She had me use a 2.5 pound weight for some of my exercises, and large elastic bands for others. I ended on the bike. After 30 minutes, I felt limber and no longer stiff, which was great news! She told me to go home and ice, which I did. Icing led to me falling asleep exhausted, and waking up at 5 pm! So much for my first day back! I guess I actually just worked 8 am to 1 pm, but it seemed about enough to handle. I am fortunate to have a boss who expected this to happen!

Today, I decided to go into a building to meet with a colleague because I frankly am craving human interaction having been secluded for so long. So, I drove 80 minutes to one of our offices and then walked about a third of a mile from the parking lot to the building - not exactly set up for handicapped, but the walk was doable and refreshing, although it was pretty darn cold out! I then spent a few hours with tech support trying to fix my laptop, followed by a meeting with a colleague. We were sitting in a collaborative work space that looks like a booth and has a monitor to plug in a laptop and look at things together. We had a great meeting, getting me back up to speed. When it was time to get up, I neglected to notice that the booth was set on a platform and when I stepped out, I started to fall as I did not expect the step. Fortunately, the leading leg was the left side with the new hip, and not the right side with the new knee and frozen ankle. The left ankle bent a bit and I did a few quick side steps before I regained my balance, with no harm done to my bionic parts! My colleague said she watched in horror as she was sure I was going to fall and she could not reach me. But, she also said I had some pretty agile dance moves! LOL! So, fortunately, I was lucky, did not fall and did not hurt my new parts. Although, my back is sore tonight - something got a bit wrenched!

Then, as I was walking back to my cube, I noticed it was snowing! This alarmed me as I thought the snow would come in the late afternoon and I would have plenty of time to get to my car first. So, I immediately had to pack my things up, and then gingerly make my way down the slightly snow covered path to the garage. It actually was not slippery at all, the surface is sort of a pebbled stone thing, but I was not about to take any chances! With no further incident, I made it to the car and then back home. I worked to about 3 pm, when I started to realize my back hurt, so I took a hot shower, followed by lying down with ice on my knee and a heating pad under my back - which led to another nap until 5 pm! Nice work if you can get it, right?

So, having learned my lesson (I think!), I am now going to stay put at my home office for the rest of the week. New England in January is not a good time for a newly bionic lady to be venturing outside! I do have PT again tomorrow, but my therapist has said I should just cancel if I am at all concerned about the weather. As we will be having snow squalls tomorrow, I will have to see about that! I do think it is important to set an alarm to get up and move, and will start doing that - even just 5 minutes on the bike or a few leg lifts and heel slides.

I do think the next couple days will likely be half to 2/3 days, and perhaps next week I can manage an 8 hour day. I am seeing the wisdom in holding off on assuming chores for my mom!

Work wise, I am very rusty, but I am sure that will wear off soon.
 
Well, despite your "dance moves" it sounds like you did just fine. I think it's a good move to not do full days yet if you don't have to. As you found, you will crash at the end of the day, but it will get better.
 
Just caught up with your thread @LaxMom - you're doing great by the sounds of it :happydance:I'm so happy for you

I'm glad the "new agile you" could recover from your platform diving incident :heehee:

I can't imagine dealing with snow and other adverse weather... I don't have to give it a second thought when I go out; it certainly sounds like it adds to the angst :dubious:

I do understand the need to 'connect with real people'... it's not that you can't DO just about everything digitally that you can do face to face, it's more that you can't always convey or read tone on a computer, and you can't "feel" the interaction at the same level. Having said that, I am so grateful for my laptop and internet, during my recovery AND in my every day life... it has given me access to people (and an insight to other ways of life) across the globe that I would never have connected to without it:wave:

I'm sure you must get tired... I'm back up to "life at full speed" (except for some pesky residual muscle/tendon issues:sigh:) and get tired enough... no TKR involved :snork: I'm glad you've seen sense and doing a "phased return to work"... even though it wasn't exactly your idea :loll: it's good too that your sister is happy to keep up the lion's share of caring for your Mum, especially in the early days of being back to work... there'll be plenty of time for you to "do your share" when you're fully fit.

I thought I might try again with the stationary bike, though I went to the PT today and she has said, the same as the OS a few weeks ago, sigh, that my hamstring/piriformis/ITBand issues are most likely tendinopathy rather than muscular so NOT exercising (or more specifically over exercising) is probably still the best thing to do.

Keep up the good recovery, hope you still find some time to update on BS,

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Than you Donna, @craftdee , for stopping by! Things are going well. My dear sister is giving me yet another week off. Then, she is out of town to see the grandkids, so I can either do the chores for my mom, or ask my niece. I do hope by Jan 24 I will be ready!

I am glad to let her do things, as once again yesterday, I was napping by 3 pm! I think next week will get better and more energy will return.

Today, I recommenced by Pilates class! It was wonderful. I found that I was able to keep up very well even though it has been 3 month. I think that is because all the times post surgery that my lower extremities were not working, I used my Pilates abdominal movements to lift my body where it needed to be. After class, since I did not need to run off to my mom's, I stayed to ride a recumbent bike and to also do some low-weight leg presses that my physical therapist approved. After having no lower extremity strength for so long, it is good to know my new parts can be strong and support me. It is also good that my physical therapist has a satellite office at my health club because I know just what machines to use and how much pressure is right. It is a wonderful thing!

Night time is still the worst time. I can get to sleep, but somewhere around 4 am, the inside of my knee starts to ache and I am fishing for the extra pillow that now is on the floor to shove under or between my legs. I guess that too will go away eventually. But for now, it probably adds to my day time exhaustion as I cannot get a full night's sleep.

All that said, every day gets better, I love that my new parts work, and finally, finally, I can say I am very happy I put myself through all this! I am not ready to commit to doing the next knee just yet, but it is funny that what once was my 'good knee' is now my 'bad knee.' I would say that is progress.

Cheers to all my BS pals out there. Donna, I echo you that one thing I have loved is meeting people around the world, and especially you!

Sharon
 
Great news @LaxMom

Glad both your new bits are both working great! You have done so well & it seems like you are gradually easing back into work mode...so pleased for you. I'm sure you will soon be able to resume your 'Mum' duties too. So happy to read such good progress...take care...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today is 9 weeks post knee and 14 post hip. This week, I went into the office twice so far. Yesterday, I worked a full day in the office, took the train home, cooked dinner, and pretty much had a normal pre-surgery day. I was exhausted by 8 pm, but I did it. The best part about was the exhaustion caused me to sleep through the night without waking for the first time. Bliss!

A few changes I have noticed:
  • I can now go down the stairs without holding the railing
  • I have much more stamina than last week
  • My knee feels really good - no pain, great range
  • I am noticing my other knee, by comparison, is sort of crappy!
I also thought I would add a photo of my knee at 9 weeks. My scar looks a bit worse - sort of like a zipper. I am told that is because it had to stretch out so I can bend my knee. But, also was told in about 4 weeks the pinkins purple will fade to white. I can live with that - my badge of honor.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bionic LaxMom
    knee at 9 weeks.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 208
Just a bit over 10 weeks out. I am fully back to work and my energy is great. My KNEE, as I used to refer to it, is now thought of as my "good knee." I am starting to see how bad my unoperated one is by comparison.

The best thing I can say this week is that last night, I went to kneel on my right knee. Luckily, it was on my soft foamy bed, so no damage was done. I caught myself right away. Afterward, I realized that for a moment, I forgot about my TKR, which is why I thought it was ok to kneel. And the idea that I forgot, even for a moment, made me so happy. It speaks to how good this knee feels most of the time!

Believe it or not, I am going for my very first follow-up with my surgeon tomorrow. I think he wanted me to get past the crying and cursing him stage before he saw me again. Pretty good strategy on his part! Anyway, I am compiling my list of questions for him, but thought I would consult the pros. What are good questions to ask at this point?

Thanks, all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A quick update on my post op appointment with my surgeon. He is very pleased with everything and was happy with me for "doing the work I needed to do to make it work."

As far as he is concerned, I can do anything that feels ok to me, with the exception of sky diving (my doctor is a funny guy), I can stop all meds, or take what I think I need - just Tylenol or Advil, I can stop PT if I want as long as I continue to do the exercises on my own. If I want, I can cancel my next follow-up in March, since everything is going so well. And finally, I can call to schedule my next knee whenever I am ready, but it is up to me.

I left the office smiling and thinking - I am well! I know I was ok before the appointment, but there was just a symbolic sort of relief that came over me that felt so wonderful. I am well...

Happy dance!:happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom