Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Celle and @kneeper - I do have clearance from my physician. And I have a backup plan should I not feel safe tomorrow. The Tramadol is also cut back to one every 6 hours. I would imagine that is another concern. Therapy is a 5 minute drive mostly on lightly traveled roads - nothing too challenging. Thanks for the concern!

I was going to try a little drive today but am not feeling as good as yesterday so have kept it a quiet day. I did take a short walk outside, which felt good except that it is so COLD!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Some people have insurance issues too, and need a clearance from their surgeon before they resume driving.
I was one of those folks who had to be cleared by my OS---I still have a copy of the note.

Were you able to get a handicapped parking permit. In Ohio, you need a prescription for one and take it to the DMV. It is really worthwhile, and, whirl mine was good for six months, I used it for about three months and then tore it up.

I would certainly look into getting one, especially if, down the road, you plan on going to the mall to do some Christmas shopping.
 
Hi Tim, @referee54 - my clearance was pretty much me calling the office and asking when I could drive. They said when I was off the dilaudin. No note, that was it! I did a test drive this morning and then just got back from outpatient PT. The driving went smoothly - no accidents! :thumb:

Funny you mentioned the handicapped tag. I called the office before my surgeries to see if I should get one, and the secretary said, sure, send in the form since I was getting 2 replacements. But then the doctor never sent it back. Not sure if he forgot (he had been in Europe when I sent it), or if he thinks he does such a great job that I will not need it! I decided not to pursue in any event. I have never been a mall shopper, and really, when you think about it, there is likely more walking IN the mall, than walking getting from the parking spot to the mall, so not sure what the point is. I tend to be an Amazon shopper, or go to smaller shops with less walking. And, I get to work from home for the first few month, so will not need it for work either. I think I will be ok for the most part.

I had a good first PT appointment. Starting measurements were 0 and 104 (from lying down heel slide). She watched me walk and noticed the odd things I do that need to be retrained - got a few more tips on how to walk. That sounds so crazy to write - that I do not know how to walk, but alas, it is true! I guess I am allowed - I have had a lot of bad joint things in my life. Feeling positive about this new step with driving and outpatient PT. One step closer to being back to normal (that is, if I ever was normal!!!).

Are you happy that OSU is in the top 4? I am, although we are still waiting on pins and needles to see if my son gets accepted. All fingers and toes are crossed!!! :fingersx::fingersx::fingersx:

Thanks for checking in!:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I too, hate mall shopping, but at Christmas time, I used my Handicapped placard to get a closer spot. I do not walk around the mall much---I am more on a mission.

I also used it to get a spot at the grocery store---especially nice in the winter months when I was still learning how to walk with my new implants.
 
@referee54 you do have a point about the snow and ice. It is my biggest concern with doing this as winter approaches. I am fortunate in that my husband does the grocery shopping. I think if I go out when it is icy, I will need to go with someone and be dropped at the door. Unless I can get my doctor to ok that handicap card!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh happy day! I took my last dose of Coumadin and my TED stockings are off for good!!!! Until the next TKR, that is...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Unless I can get my doctor to ok that handicap card!
I do not see a problem with that. I hate the mall, but there was a time or two when I had to make a run to pick something up. I do the grocery shopping, so it was great to have the handicapped tag hanging from the mirror. Another point is if you go to the movies, or to a restaurant later on in recovery, it is nice to have. I did not use mine for the full six months.

Oh happy day! I took my last dose of Coumadin and my TED stockings are off for good!!!! Until the next TKR, that is..
Big steps here!!! Moving forward!!! Congratulations!!!

On a side note, did your son get to watch the Buckeyes win the Big Ten Championship?
 
@referee54 - we all watched the game. Fabulous!!! So happy for the Buckeyes!!!

Of course, now said son came home saying his lacrosse coach is going to try to get him into a D1 program. Sigh! Just when I thought he was becoming mature and knew what he wanted... He has a major conflict about playing in college vs going to the best college for him. Drives me nuts!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom D1 for your son. That would be awesome. My son has dreamt of playing football or basketball at a D1 school. i love lacrosse. It is just becoming more popular in CA. I tried to get my son to play when his high school started it his freshman year. He said it would be too much.

Glad to hear you are driving. Amazing it was 9 weeks ago we had our hip done. And now you are at 4 weeks? On the knee. Hope all is well. Just checking in on my hippie twin.
 
@xtina16405 - it would be exciting, but I do wish the dear boy would make up his mind! I spoke with him yesterday and he said, "Mom, can anyone truly say for certain what it is they want?" That stopped me in my tracks! Sometime that boy has wisdom beyond his years! Anyway, lacrosse is a great sport, and he is a most talented young man. He helped win the state championship last year, and he is the goalie, so that is no small task! Ah well, his drama keeps my mind off THE KNEE, so I guess it is not so bad! I hope you son's football season ended well. I was so impressed that you got to games with all that was going on with your hip! I am just trying to get well for the spring - he will be captain and I will be team mom and year book coordinator! Big tasks ahead as they defend their title. I want to be well enough to enjoy every moment.
 
I used to tell students that making a decision as to where to attend a college or university is the toughest decision that they will make in their young lives. Different sized school, different majors, etc----and all of the pamphlets that go out make the universities look great. Leavenworth Penitentiary could like like a wonderful place to go to!

I tell the students that, in the end, they have to go with their gut---what will be best for them. $$$ should be the a consideration, but the last one. If you have a chance to play D-1---I would think seriously about it, as the experience, (not to mention getting everything paid for) is tremendous.

Go back to the schools that he thinks are "prime" a second time---it will open his eyes and it will allow him to be more objective.

All of this will indeed keep you mind off of your knee!
 
@referee54 you have such great advice and not just for the knee! I think if he gets a D1 gig at this late date, it might be via walk on. And, unlike football, D1 lax does not pay the big bucks. But to be able to play in college at any level is a dream not every kid can fulfill. We will see - he just got a bunch of interest from some very good D3 schools. Just when I thought we were all done with applications!
 
We have some great D-III schools here in Ohio---and lots of them.

The good news is that, when it comes time for you to help move your son into his dorm room on that first day on campus, you will be doing it pain-free!
 
except for the emotional mom pain!
I was a good father and it did not hit me until about halfway through the drive home when I dropped off my daughter.

However, that was in my pre-BTKR days, and moving almost all of my daughter's earthly possessions (she never seemed to travel lightly) up three flights of stairs really took its toll on my knees. It was one of those moments we talk about here---knowing that you will "pay the price."
 
I bet, &referee54. I did college tours last February with a cane. It was torture. It made up my mind that it was time for surgery! I hope to be in good shape to share this special time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom i played softball and soccer in college. Partial scholarships in both. I am so grateful to this day that I had the opportunity to play at an elite level. In softball, I was able to travel the world. This was when softball was not an Olympic sport. California had 2 travel teams that traveled the world to get it in the Olympics. I would have never had this opportunity if it wasn't for my college scholarship. It is a tough decision. As my parents said "any little bit helps".

I am glad it is taking your mind off your knee. And goalie is a tough position. Wow.

This weekend I traveled to Sacramento for basketball. My son is in a tournament. Taking advantage of being off work.

I hope you have a great weekend.
 
Hi @xtina16405 - that is so fascinating about you! Alas, not sure my son will play in college. The schools interested are D3, private and very expensive. And, we thought he wanted large and public, so we missed the private school financial aid deadline. They are also liberal arts colleges that do not have a business major. After some thought, he has decided to stick with his earlier decision process. So hard when the major and type of school you want do not match up with where you could play. He did have a very interesting offer from a very highly rated school, but he is passing it up. I also think that school was so competitive that going there would have been too stressful for him. It is interesting that we both have such athletic sons! He also just got deferred by Ohio State. Very sad boy in the house!!! :sad:

Well, anyway, that was a little diversion from THE KNEE, which does seem to be doing better of late. I have far less pain, and no longer use the crutches or cane, even for walks outside. Flexion remains a challenge, but I do not get excruciating pain when I try to bend anymore, it is more like tight muscles, and I just reach some kind of wall where the knee will not move any further. I did move the bike seat to get a big bend and can do 20 minutes 3 times a day, which feels terrific. I probably am still around 105, not sure when that will budge. But all else feels pretty good. Almost to the 5 week point!

Yesterday, I went out for a holiday lunch at a quaint nearby historic inn with my sister and my mom. We had a nice time. It was my first time out of the house for anything besides PT! So nice to dress up a little and feel normal. My sister drove. Of course, as the meal was ending, my knee was getting uncomfortable, and I had to elevate my leg on a nearby chair. And then I went home hand slept for 2 hours!
 
@LaxMom So happy to hear how well you are doing. Of course your awesome attitude helps.

Your poor son. I am a firm believer in one door closes another opens and it is normally the better door:heehee:

How is your mom doing? She must be better since she is out and about. All good stuff happening.

I hope you have a great Monday. All my best, Kristina
 
@xtina16405 - not sure how good my attitude is! It was great for the hip, but this knee is wearing me down. It is getting better, but what a long road! I hope you are also doing better and are having fun shopping for Christmas.

I told my son something very similar to what you said about new doors opening. I think the best advice for young people is that if you knew how your life was going to turn out, you would not waste one minute worrying about it. Things always happen as they should. He will be fine, and he did perk up as the weekend went on. He as 4 acceptances so far and he is trying other things on for size.

My mom is doing great - fully recovered from her nasty fall and broken nose! Thanks for asking! I had not seen her for a long time due to the surgery and was so glad to see how well and happy she looked. We have been slowly working with her doctors to reduce her medications. I think that was half the problem. Too many meds where making her tired, confused, and dangerously lowering her blood pressure. My sister was teasing her that she is now in better shape than me at 93, since my sister put me in the front seat of the car and my mom had to get into the back seat!

Yesterday I went to church - first time since the operation. That was harder than I thought. I am Catholic, and while I did not kneel, there was a lot of up and down, sitting and standing. I was pretty achy by the time it was over. It gave me an idea of what going back to work would be like! But, I still have 3 more weeks to improve before that happens.

I have PT today at noon. I find I do like to go out for PT as I get more suggestions and encouragement and can ask lots of questions about form, etc. Here's hoping I have a successful go at it today.

Have a great day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom