Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
A minor little whiney session coming - beware. So, in the history of me and my med problems... here is yet another on. This one is partially my fault. I waited until yesterday morning with just one day left of Tramadol to call the doctor's office for a refill. And yes, that would be a Friday, which was stupid of me for waiting so long. And then, i did not bother to check in with the pharmacy in the afternoon, since I was out having a pedicure. See where this is going, right?

Sooo.... at 7 pm on Friday, I call the pharmacy and nope, they did not get an order from the physician. Which means today, I am off the Tramadol whether I need to be or not. Arghhh!!! Medications, knees, and me do not go right.

In truth, I am not sure if I miss the Tramadol or not. I do not feel great today, my stomach is once again upside down. Not sure if that is cold turkey off the medication, or if it had anything to do with the Thai Chicken Burrito I had for lunch yesterday, which certainly was yummy at the time. And, it is cold, damp, and about to snow outside. I feel a tad achy in every joint, but cannot say the knee feels worse than the others.

This might be a good or a bad thing. Maybe I settle down in a day and find I do not need the Tramadol. Or I do, in which case I call on Monday, and read that nasty secretary the riot act. Time will tell!

Anyway, chalking this up to we have good and bad days. This is an odd one. I think I will go back to bed with my ice pack!:sleeep:
 
@LaxMom Sorry to hear about the mixup on meds. I know we are weaning off of Tramadol but I'm sure this isn't what you had in mind. Hopefully Tylenol, ice and rest will get you through the weekend! It is kind of crazy but I think we both might been in the phase of 1 good day/1 not so good day routine...it's always something, isn't it? Hope you have a restful weekend and ice your way through to Monday. Hugs!:)
 
So true @sandbar525. There is always something. And who knows what is up with me today. I am just not 'right' and a bit worried about the meds. I almost have to laugh because haven't I had screwed up meds from the very beginning? It seems like the theme of my KNEE!!!

I am also sorry you are having a time of it. Since I do no think I bend to 115, much less past it, I figured I could not offer any advice. Other than massage away!!!

I would really like to go sink in a hot tub right now. I think that is a no no! But wouldn't that be lovely?

Have a good rest of your weekend. Hugs!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @LaxMom Think I might have found the answer to the pain behind my knee. I actually put the heating pad on low behind my knee and then ice on the top of knee...what a visual! :) Felt a little weird but definitely helped with the pain and also seemed to ease the ROM discomfort at the bendiest part of the flexion. All I can say is we are certainly works in progress! :) Hope you have a better tomorrow.
 
That is great @sandbar525 It is almost 2am and I cannot sleep. I think it is the no Tramadol. Bouncing off the walks here. Ugh.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Are you trying Extra Strength Tylenol? It can work well for pain. You take doses of 1000mg (2 extra strength tablets). You can have up to 4000mg (4 doses) in a 24 hour period, as long as you take them at least 4 hours apart. You might try calling your surgeon's office. Usually they have an on call doctor who might be able to issue a prescription for you for additional Tramadol.
 
@LaxMom So sorry about your discomfort. Wish I could teleport you some Tramadol! Think Jamie has the right idea about calling your OS office for on-call help (or maybe even your GP on-call desk). Hopefully you can get that prescription filled tomorrow. You really have my sympathy. Can't imagine only being on Tylenol now. Keep up with the icing for at least a little relief. Thinking of you! :)
 
I tried calling the on call doctor last time there was a education issue. They would not help me. I might be able to call my primary care. I am actually not in pain. I think I am having side effects from stopping the Tramadol too quickly. Cannot sleep


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oops. Medication issue, not education issue.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well @LaxMom I think your Medication IS an Education:rotfl: Sorry you're feeling a bit crappy... at least it qualifies you for the Craftdee Donna Whine and Cheese night :cool: Seriously though, as Jamie said, you may be able to ramp up the Tylenol (or Paracetemol, we have an Osteo version here which is actually 625mg per tab, so at 1350mg per dose, even stronger... you may have similar OTC options) and have that cover the pain; it is such a safe drug relatively speaking, with less side effects that you may find it's an improvement on the Tramadol. I do have to add that I found the Panadol Osteo DID cover the pain, but when I went off Tramadol completely my sleep issues were greater (so obviously one of the positive effects/side effects of the Tramadol was that it helped me sleep)

It sounds like your KNEE (note capitilization!) is something of a needy infant indeed. It brought to mind one of my maxims, sort of; I often ask what's a four letter swear word ending with "k", the answer being worK (tut tut, NOT what you were thinking, I'm shocked... well I would be if that were at all possible any more :eyebrows:) in your case it's "what's a four letter swear word BEGINNING with "K" :loll: I am only really, genuinely (not bitter and twistedly - feeling better today :wink:) glad that your hip recovery went well... it would have been intolerable for you if you'd had this sort of recovery for the hip and then a repeat performance for the KNEE:yikes:

I'm glad you enjoyed your Burrito... hope it was worth it if that is what has upset your stomach. We went to a "work do" last night and my hubby said that this is how he's worked out he's "grown up"... he had a few drinks and then - while still in a fit condition to make sound decisions - started on soft drink as he didn't think the pleasure he'd get out of more alcohol would outweigh the horrors to be faced this morning :sick: It's only taken him until he's sixty to work it out :rotfl: He was kind of sad, in mourning in a way for the "lad" that would have ploughed on and suffered the consequences - mind you it only ever happened once or twice a year anyway - we're such light weights:rofsign:We were up until nearly 2am too, because we gave a few people a lift home.. I'm not sleeping that well anyway so it was nice to have some company :yes: I sooooo empathize with your lack of sleep, it makes everything so much "bigger" somehow - hopefully we'll both be sleeping like babies soon ... mind you if I remember babies right that just means we'll be waking up every three or four hours starving hungry :heehee:

Hope you feel better soon

Donna:flwrysmile:
 
@LaxMom Hope you were able to get some sleep last night and that by upping your Tylenol and icing vigorously, you are able to have a good Sunday! By the way, have you tried Tylenol PM in the evening? It might help a little with sleep issues. Hugs! :)
 
@LaxMom I read your great report at 5 weeks. It was so useful to read how much progress you have made. Great stuff.
I was interested as to how you felt after running out of Tramadol.
I gave up the Tramadol after a couple of weeks - was very lucky not to really need it as my kidneys are not great and I didn't want to take any more meds than strictly necessary. I felt dreadful , upset stomach, depressed, tired, whining at my other half - just awful this lasted a couple of days and gradually a cloud lifted and I feel fine now. I honestly believe it had to be coming off the Tramadol. It was weird. And I'm not taking it again unless I get another new knee! Just on a small dose of paracetamol now and again and it's fine.
Good luck with your meds and pain control and thanks again for posting your report.best wishes
 
@SuperSnapper you nailed it! Yesterday I felt so crappy do I googled "stopping Tramadol abruptly" and figured out what was up. Symptoms I had were


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oops. This is what happens when you try to write on you phone while getting your hair done and your stylist is ready for you.

Anyway @SuperSnapper, symptoms are nausea and accompanying trips to the bathroom, sore throat, sneezing, achy all over, insomnia, and restlessness. There are other symptoms but those are the ones I had. Today I realized I had one pill left that I meant to take last night so I took it to ease the symptoms. Given these awful side effects, I am going to get off this.

Again, my knee still does not hurt badly. I am on 650 mg Tylenol 3 times a day. I was told not to go higher than that. With the Celebrex 2 times per day, I may be ok. I will calm the doctor to get more Tramadol tomorrow even if just for weaning.

I had not seen anywhere on BS about weaning Tramadol unless I missed it but hopefully this will help others. Do not try this at home, folks!

I was literally pacing the floor all night until around 3:45 when I finally got 3 hours of restless sleep. So again, this is not an issue of pain, it is a withdrawal issue.

Thank you @sandbar525, @Jamie and @craftdee for your concern and advice. It is so good to not be alone in the middle of the night.

And @craftdee, you once again made me laugh, which I needed.

Doing better today. I do hope I can sleep at some point.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sandbar525 - glad to help especially since I know you want to start reducing. Treat it like a narcotic and reduce one pill every few days.

I feel much better today probably because I took the last Tramadol pill. Today I went to Mass, got my hair colored and trimmed, and made beef stew. That is pretty good for a crappy day and a far cry from where we were just a few weeks ago. I am taking advice you had a while back and taking a day off from PT today. Do not think I could handle one more thing. Hoping and praying that I sleep tonight. I might see if I have a cotylenol left over from previous dental surgery to get me through the night! I really am sick of taking all these meds!

I not feeling so jumpy anymore, so that is good!

Hugs!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you approve @referee54. My work ethic makes me feel slightly guilty when I take a day off. It is good to get someone to say it is a good idea!!!

And really, I have been fairly active today. Although just watching football now. Patriots squeezed in a close win. Phew!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom