Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kneeper , based on our ages now and when we got JRA, I think we both got it the same year, so I know what you mean - there was not a lot of treatment. I remember taking aspirin for the longest time and I got gold injections from age 12 until well into my 30s. The drugs then did not do much to prevent the damage.

I do feel like I have spent my entire life concentrating on good health - eating right, sleeping enough, exercising enough, avoiding stress. I had a recent PT say her best patients had RA because they were so used to taking care of themselves, following directions, and of course are no strangers to PT!

On the flip side, my ideas about pain are all messed up because I have spent a lifetime dealing with pain while trying to not let anyone know. So my tolerance is very high and sometimes I have trouble admitting or describing pain. That tendency has not been my friend during the TKR. And this has been painful, which is saying something for me!!!

This surgery has been so hard for me, which is something I am not used to. I typically sail through all kinds of awful things, and have had more than my share of surgeries. But the knee .... Let's just say I have a new respect for the knee and for everyone who has to undergo a TKR. And an BTKR, I cannot even fathom! Having done the knee 5 weeks after the hip was enough for me. The tricky part is figuring out when I will feel ok with having the left one done. The left is not in as bad shape, so maybe it will not be so bad. But, like giving birth, I think I need time to forget what this feels like!

Thanks for sharing some of your background with me.
 
0 and 115!!!!! Once again I am sooooooo jealous!!!! :wowspring:Nice Job!!!!!!! I only got to 104 today and not totally flat yet... but the PT was pleased since I messed things up by dropping my meds too low.... At least it was worth measuring today.. unlike Monday.
 
Those numbers are great @hbacres - I shoild say that I am never flat to start PT, but after some stretching I get there. Also, the 115 was while doing the stair lunge. My lying heel slide was around 105.

Now it is 1 am and I woke up with a sore throat, temp of 99.5, and a sore knee. Ugh!!! Looks like one of my visiting people gave me a cold or something. Very frustrating that I can see so few people and end up getting sick. :-(
 
Hi my hippie twin. I just got caught up on your thread. So happy your boss approved the extra two weeks. I can't believe your short term disability is up. My doctor has me off until 1/6 when I see him for my 12 week appointment. I am sure I will return to work shortly after that. I could go back now except for the stamina.

You are moving along just fine with the knee and that does not surprise me. You are a strong person. I got a cold right after my birthday. Awful chest congestion. I hope you don't get it too badly. Take airborne or emergen-c to help fight it faster. Nothing is worse than trying to recover and feeling sick.

My son has been fighting the cold for two weeks now. I don't know how he does it. I am sure it is the youthful vitality. Oh I so miss that energy. :)

I just wanted to check in on my friend. So happy things are going in the right direction. All my best. Kristina
 
Hi Kristina @xtina16405 - thanks for checking in. When I woke up at 1 am and took my temp, the first thing I did was fill my water bottle with an airborne tab and take some vitamin c! It is amazing how that can work if you start in time, so hoping for the best.

It is impressive that you got so much time approved for your hip. Your hip was much tougher than mine. I am not happy with the insurance company, but at least my boss helped me with an alternative solution. I think I will be ok to return on 1/5, although my stamina will not be great. I take 2 hour naps every day, something I did not do with the hip at the same point in time. Here's to hoping that I am more ready in 5 weeks. Won't it feel strange to go back to work after being out so long? Feels that way to me. I am trying to enjoy this long rest the best I can because I probably will not get another stint of time off like this until I retire. Unless I build up the courage todo the other knee!

Hugs to my hippie twin! :loveshwr:
 
Did your disability time start with your hip? It seems like an awfully short time for your knee. I hope you don't have a physically demanding job. I'm at 11 weeks and still fatigued. I don't think I ever got my energy back completely after my THR, and yours were so much closer together. I need to start job hunting but I'm still so tired all the time. I was subbing last year so I didn't have benefits. My PA suggested I wait til January, but he doesn't have to stress over my bills.

I didn't have a fever this week, but other cold/flu type symptoms. I'm starting to feel better today, but have stayed in for the last few days. I even called in sick to PT for today. I hope you're feeling better soon!
 
Hi @PuppyLove , I think my STD was evaluated independently for each surgery. Because I dona desk job, they think I do not need much time off. They did not take into consideration any of my particulars - 2 surgeries close together, complications after 2nd surgery, anemia, length of time with pre-existing condition. Nothing! Fortunately, I work on my laptop and can easily work from home. And, my boss plans on having me have a very gentle start back. He has faced his own surgeries, so he gets it!

Today I had my last VNA visit to check my INR for Coumadin. The regular nurse was not here today and the sub said she was subbing for all her patients. I think I found the person who got me sick! I have been taking vitamin c, and my temp taken by the nurse was back to normal, but she did notice that I look very tired. Just finished lunch and am about to go take a long nap. No PT for me today! Sleep is what I need, and to let the vitamin c work its magic.

I hope you feel better, @PuppyLove. And I get what you are saying about when we would like to return to work and when we need to to stay employed, pay our bills, etc. my parents both had both their knees replaced, but they were well into retirement and did not have these worries. Take care, my friend!
 
So sorry you are sick... I can't even imagine being sick on top of the surgery. Whenever we go in public for my blood draw or PT we immediately use hand sanitizer when we get back in the car.... I lead a very sheltered (read hermit) life normally, so when I go out in public I often come down with something. Take care, drink lots and lots of fluids and sleep, sleep, sleep.
 
Today was a sleepy day. I did one round of PT in the morning, and road the bike a bit before dinner, but mostly I just slept. It felt good. I had my last visiting nurse appointment to check my INR. It was actually above normal today, so taking no coumadin tonight, and then 4 mg Friday through Monday. Then I am done! No more coumadin, no more compression stockings, and no more nurses in and out of the house. YAY!!! The IRN was 3.4. I did a little reading and found out that the increase is probably due to increasing my tramadol from every 4 hours to every 6 hours. Interesting...

Next week, I start outpatient PT. My local hospital has a therapist who works out of my health club and that is where I will have PT. I like that idea because then after PT is over, I will know what equipment to use. But, I do think I need to beware and let the therapist know that mine is no athlete in recovery sort of PT and that she needs to be gentle with me! I will be on the lookout for that. But mostly I am excited to get out of the house a bit and have a new set of eyes on my knee.

Temp is 98.5, so officially not a fever, except that I typically run cold at around 97. We will see what tonight brings. Still taking some vitamin C.
 
I have done outpatient PT since the start and I really enjoy going there. There are other people around doing stuff that are in the same boat. I must say, yesterday I had PT in the afternoon and it was kinda fun... all the high school kids with sports injuries came in and they were fun. But, you get to know your regular PT buddies. The place I go to has 5 tables and all the work out equipment in one room and the PT goes from person to person.
 
I have done outpatient PT since the start and I really enjoy going there.
I did, too---I enjoyed getting out of the house, and I also enjoyed the camaraderie.

The sports injuries were taken care of by certain PT's, and the joint replacement patients were taken care of by another set of PT's. They never crossed taking care of patients.

It did give me a sense of accomplishment as well as a small bit of normalcy throughout everything!
 
@referee54 and @hbacres - I certainly could use some normalcy about now! Starting to feel like a hermit. Today is the first day I am off of the dilaudin. I will try driving around the neighborhood over the weekend, and then should be good to drive myself to PT on Monday afternoon.

Just had my last visiting PT appointment. I had fairly good strength but less flexion. I do feel like a cold or something is coming on. Another day to lay low.
 
Starting to feel like a hermit.
I can understand! I had cabin-fever at times---I wanted to get out and go places---and I was lonely at times, too. When I started driving---a little bit here and there---it began to get better.
and then should be good to drive myself to PT on Monday afternoon.
Those trips to the PT did add that normalcy---it gave me a real chance to get out and do something, and it gave me the camaraderie that helped me through some of the frustrating times.

I will warn you--that, in the early days, the littlest errands in my truck (f-150 4WD) wore me out. Stamina is the last thing to come back in this recovery.
 
@LaxMom So happy you were able to extend your leave. I know it must be a huge relief. Sounds like you are also making great strides with your pain management. This recovery process is such a tightrope walk. Every step has to be calculated and adjusted and readjusted as the situation changes. However, the results will be worth it...in spades!:)
 
Today, so far, is a good day. I love the hours of 9 am through noon. I am at my best. The stiffness of the initial waking is gone and the swelling and the stiffness of later in the day has not set it. I can do my best results and feel most hopeful then. Today is my first day with no dilaudin! I did up my tramadol to every 4 hours and i fear it may be giving me side effects. Last night I work up with bad stomach pains. I am going to try every 5 hours. This morning I feel very good, no pain.

I noticed today for the first time that I can go up and down the stairs foot over foot with no crutch or cane. I realized earlier in the week I was getting close. One of the new exercises I have to work my inner quads and correct my gait is to stair step just one step. So, I do it in both directions, first up, then down. Essentially, I put the operated leg up a step and then use the good leg to step up and down while facing up. I try to do this without holding on, if possible. Then, I turn around, keep the operated leg on the first step and use the good leg to go up and down while facing down. I get no pain in the knee, but can feel the inner quad muscle working. It is a surprise to start doing this because I swear I had never felt that particular muscle before!

I am also starting to go further on the bike. I had to move the seat back now that I use the bike with my shoes on so that I can extend my time while not feeling pain. I am starting with 5 minutes froward and back. I think I can add more, but want to do it gradually so that I do not anger the knee!

My energy level is also a tiny bit better. Which is good, since next week I will be adding driving to outpatient PT. I feel like I am at a point where I need to trust I can do a bit more, but I also want to be very cautious as I know what can happen if I am not.

I do not think I am getting much further with ROM. My knee is bent a bit and I have to work it to get to zero. And a comfortable flexion is probably about 105. I am trying not to worry about the numbers for now and just focus on keeping the movements easy and pain free. It does not help to get a great number and then not be able to a thing after that!

In general, I am feeling optimistic. I hope the day stays this way! I hope all my pals in BS land are doing well today.
 
@LaxMom Absolutely wonderful report! Sounds like you are spot on in every respect. I agree whole heartedly about the hours of 9am - noon being the best. Outstanding progress...you're a star! :)
 
Today is the first day I am off of the dilaudin. I will try driving around the neighborhood over the weekend, and then should be good to drive myself to PT on Monday afternoon.

It's only about 3 weeks since your latest surgery. Do be careful abut driving. You do need to be completely off the narcotics. Some people have insurance issues too, and need a clearance from their surgeon before they resume driving.
 
Good point. It's easy to not realize that you are affected by the narcotics.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom