Guest viewing is limited

THR Bill's Bionic Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
@fulafoto So proud of you...and as u say "you are doing swimmingly" lol Love the pictures. Keep on feeling great my friend :)
 
Thanks so much everyone. I'll do my 3 week update even tough it is not three weeks for another 4 minutes time.
The hip is feeling great pain wise and only suffering some muscular aches and a little pain from time to time. I have been using my walking tick (cane) since lunch time today for walking and it feels mmm 'adequate' I guess you would say although I am not that confident on it yet and will continue to use crutches when out.
As far as the shortening of my leg is concerned I went to my GP who ordered and X-Ray just to see if the cup had moved up into the cyst area and I am to go back tomorrow for the radiologist report on that but the leg still feels shorter.
The incision is good and mostly numb and I tried laying on it last night and the pain in one particular part of the incision went through the roof! 8-9/10 but it eased right off when I rolled off it. I can lay on my other side quite comfortably thank goodness!
Under my GP supervision I have been reducing my pain meds and am now on 1000mg of panadol (tylenol I think it is for my overseas friends) and one 5mg Targin (Oxycodone) a day since yesterday.
The reduction in the Oxy bought it's own set of problems last night, well I believe it was that but I had the worse ever sleep. I was dog tired but I just could not settle, could not turn off my mind; I have a meditation app on my phone but could not pay attention to it, I was hot, I was cold, I could not get comfortable and continual fidgeting, up walking around the house - this went on until 4am this morning when my very tired and exasperated DW told me to take two Panadiene Forte (Tylenol 3 I think it is) and that seemed to do the trick as I was asleep by 5am.
Speaking to my best friend who is a drug and alcohol counsellor he said I was exhibiting all the signs of withdrawal so I hope if it was I have finished with that.
An interesting observation I made about our public hospital system here in Australia and particularly in my state of Queensland during my sleeplessness last night;
Last week we had our car serviced and yesterday we received a call from the mechanic asking how the car was going and were we happy with the service. That's great and very much appreciated - I know they value out business and they care about the job they do.
3 weeks ago tomorrow I had a hip replacement and was discharged two days later. I was told I will receive a letter for a follow up appointment in 6-8 weeks with one of the hospital OS. Since then I have not heard hide not hare from the hospital - no follow-up phone calls or reports or any contact from the allied health professionals that do the physio here in Queensland. My GP has not received any reports from the hospital either and she is pretty well disgusted with it.
Admittedly it is a public health system and I am very thankful for job they did and the extreme pressures that they as health professional work under but I would think some form of follow up would be in order.
Another ironic sideline to my whole episode is that from entering hospital to leaving I never actually saw the surgeon who was attributed to doing my surgery. He did not come and see me before the surgery and afterwards I was seen by two different assistants on ward rounds....
Oh well as one infamous Australian bush ranger once said "Such is life" :)
 
Dang Bill, that is a bit disheartening. My post-op appt. was scheduled at the same time they scheduled the surgery. And the next appt (6-8 weeks out) is now scheduled as well. However, I would be williing to bet my left pinkie that the total bill for your procedure is far less that mine! I just took a peek to see if the hospital bill had shown up yet, and it's there. It's still being processed by the insurance co. and I know the amount that they actually pay will be far far less, but the total of that bill is $57000!!!! Insanity! I think I will update the thread I had started about costs.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And you know @Chessie you're exactly right. That old saying of you get what you pay for rings true. As a public patient I will never see a bill for any part of the procedure.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I absolutely understand where you are coming from Bill. I, too, used the NHS and albeit I had very good results from the surgery it was disconcerting that there was no aftercare. I had my staples out at 10 days at my local GP surgery and never heard or spoke to any healthcare professional until I saw my surgeon at 8.5 weeks. Even then, he only watched me walking...noted a limp and referred me to the hydrotherapy dept. Never looked at my hip/scar...no hands on care at all.

Now, today I went privately to a physio as I have had bad knee pain since the op....my fear was that they had damaged it during the procedure. Within minutes she was 'hands on'....told me it was due to tight muscles, soft tissue, etc because of bad gait....did deep tissue masssage for an hour and it has given me so much relief and made me feel more confident it will get better in time...She has rung me since I got home to enquire how it is & sent me an exercise sheet by email ......the cost .....£55.00. Such a stark contrast in gems of communication & after care.

However, having said all that I have a new hip courtesy of the NHS for which I am grateful.......no way could I have afforded to pay the £12,000 fee privately. But of course I did pay my stamps for 30 years!! Xxx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Bill, I liked your pics from the childers event.
Glad you are moving to the cane. Yet another step of progress.
It sounds like you are doing a lot! Bravo!
 
Nice pix Bill, sounds like you're doing okay!!
 
Happy bionic 3-weeks post-op @fulafoto Bill! Mine's tomorrow and can't believe how quickly the time has gone. You are doing so well and you'll be walking without a cane sooner than you think!
I'm doing well still no pain and now very very tempted to leave the cane at home but if I go far I might get tired, so I guess I'll kerp it another week or so.

Regarding costs @Chessie @Hoppy Nanny I am always horrified at the medical costs in the US...it's truly perverse. My mother is 79 and lives in Chicago (where I'm from originally) and has a few medical issues, but doesn't have everthing done that she should because even with Medicare, there are lots of extra costs. My hip surgery at a private but non - profit hospital, with one of the top orthopedic centers in France, cost me a total of 25 euros (about 34$) for the TV and phone in the room! This is because RA is considered a long-term chronic disease and is covered at 100%. I would never would have been able to have my hip replaced if that wasn't the case, and would probably be in a wheelchair right now. I hope I don't sound like I'l trying to "show-off" or anything about the health care system in France, but it really makes you stop and think and appreciate what is offered, as others have said above.
 
Hi Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny and I seriously feel for you through the post op follow up by your surgeon and it is not good that you have had to fork out money for physio to get the positive result you did.
Thanks so much Claire @MajorHeidi and Joe @JoeL - I'm not so great tonight due to muscle soreness only but it was a major day today for me - I vacuumed my car AND rode my exercise bike. The exercise bike bit is such a revelation. Due to my original injury (SCFE) my leg has always pointed out to some extent and to ride a bike I did it mainly by the heel of my left foot but now can do it easy with my toes!!! So happy with that !!!!!
Actually Gabrielle @GabsJL I find it really interesting the different ways the health systems work throughout he world so please do not apologise and feel free to launch form your soapbox anytime on my thread:) I'm really pleased you're doing so well too!!!
 
@fulafoto - glad to hear you are riding the bike!! Doesn't it feel great to be able to do these things now!! Keep up the good work. You may be a bit sore but you will recover quickly I am sure!

@GabsJL - no worries I did not take it that way at all. I even started a thread a few weeks back about costs of this surgery. I know costs are inflated here...it's really infuriating. However I can not ever complain about the quality of care.. I have never had a single issue with excellent care here, in my life, for me or my family. But, the costs are always a hot topic here in the U.S. as I am sure you know. I have my own beliefs about why costs are so high, it's one of our favorite topics at work. LOL. It is amazing though, what the "total" bills get reduced to after insurance pays. For instance - my surgeon's bill was $6200. But insurance paid him $1298. And you know what - I think that is a perfectly reasonable amount. Heck I would have written him a $2000 check myself for this surgery. So in light of that reduction, I am guessing the hospital bill will come down to somewhere around 20K, but who knows. Even that is still a ridiculous amount though...for barely 27 hours at the hospital. Nuts!
 
@fulafoto , gosh Bill, sounds like you are going through the same paperwork nightmare that I have just fought my way through. Can you call and embarrass someone who obvously has not followed through? That post op appointment can be an important one!
 
Oh yes very much so @Jaycey. It seems to be the way of governments doesn't it? I really don't know if no one has followed through or not to be honest - not sure if the protocol is to actually check to see if your patients are still alive or not! Sorry that was a bit sarcastic! Oh I have heard from the hospital now - got a letter today advising my post-op appointment was on 27 August - only 7 weeks to the day after surgery. Now without the assistance, help and advice of the terrific people here, I could not imagine what sort of blithering mess I would be after 7 weeks. On the day I might actually get to see the surgeon who did my THR for the first time since March! That would be novel!!! My sarcasm level is really overflowing here tonight. I am actually looking forward to seeing him and him asking me how I am progressing to which I will reply, how would I know? :heehee::heehee::heehee:
@Chessie - yes riding the bike is absolutely brilliant - I did another 1 kilometre today and went for two walks. I am really sore muscularly now but that is fine!
 
Hi there good friend, I am amazed at how active you are at not even 4 weeks - take care won't you, remember slow and steady x
 
No problem with the sarcasm @fulafoto - sometimes it's the only way to get through all this. It's so sad we must fight for the care we are entitled to!

Wow - well done on all your exercise. Must be great to get going again!
 
@fulafoto Bill since you were riding a bike I asked my PT about it today and got to ride a stationary bike for 15 min ! Not as much fun as a real bike, but it sure felt good on my muscles! I don't know if this goes against my surgeon's restrictions of no sports before 3 months, but since it didn't hurt I'm going to continue. Glad you got your post-op appt. at last...you can give them hell when you go!

@Chessie medical costs are also my topic. as long as you feel you're getting your money's worth, that's the main thing, but the costs are still very excessive.
 
Thanks @Jaycey - they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit however it does help and it appears to be inbred in the system that we are numbers and not people - comes from an overloaded system I would suggest.
@GabsJL - it is a wonderful thing to actually feel muscular soreness again after such a long time. I am a little stiff and a bit sore but oh it does feel good to be working these muscles. Good you enjoyed the bike Gabrielle and yes - will be having a few words when I go for sure!
 
Well done Bill! so glad you are breaking that hip in slowly!
My bicycle is very much my rehab friend! I getting as much saddle time as I can either on a spin bike or out on the road because I signed up for a 52 mile tour in 2 weeks that will put a good exclamation point on my three month old THR!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom