THR Bill's Bionic Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Bill @fulafoto I am so sorry its been such a difficult time for you. I dip in and out of here now but I hadn't seen your update until tonight. How awful to be so dismissed when you knew something was not right! I am sorry you have to go through the procedure again but it sounds like a more thorough job will be done next time around.
 
Thank you for all the words of encouragement and support - you really are a special bunch of wonderful people!

I have been having some more 'challenges' the pain has increased and my GP has put me on non weight bearing and onto 10mg oxycodone twice a day to help take the edge off the pain. She is very hesitant to send me for another x-ray due to the number that I have had over the past 18 months to 2 years but she has written tot he OS to inform him of my current situation. I am finding now that I am still waking with pain during the night but only 6 weeks and 6 days (who's counting!) until surgery.

Speaking of surgery I had blood tests which showed I was, as my doctor put it, pre-anemic so I am on iron tablets for 30 days and boy aren't they playing up with my BM! I have done my anesthetic pre-op checklist and got the all clear on that and today I received a call confirming surgery date of June 1st. The booking officer is going to organise the rest of the pre-op checks at the local hospital (the one I had the first THR at) and they will send the results to the new hospital. While it is really no news I do feel as though things are happening.

Thank you so much @Josephine for your questions and here's my replies;

I suppose this was the PT but even if it was the surgeon the answer is the same - he said nothing because that was what he knew about it!
No Josephine that was the surgeon that ignored my question and that of my DW on a number of occasions. The PT suggested that the prosthetic was moving down the femur.

May I ask why? After 9 months?
It was the only option that was open to me at the time for treatment in an attempt to ease the pain (when I last saw him I wasn't going to get an appointment with the new OS until 2016). With hindsight it was obviously a lot more serious than something that could be fixed by a PT but mentally I was wondering if the whole situation of the pain was just in my mind.. strange how the mind works but I did consider it. I even asked my GP about it and her answer was your mind cannot shorten your leg.

No, it's worse than that, dear heart. It's more like trying to walk on a fracture ! I suggest you stay off it as much as you can - which I suspect you are doing anyway. I've seen loosenings like this and the cup can rotate round like a spinning top. I expect when the surgeon gets in there, it's very possible he will be able to lift the cup out with his fingers. But please do be assured that this was nothing to do with your bike riding. A properly installed hip replacement is more than equal to that kind of activity. I leave you to interpret my words! :wink:

Do you have your xrays? I'd love to see them!

And that is exactly how it feels and seems to be getting worse all the time. I have even felt that familiar pre-op back and forward movement in the hip a few times. As I stated above Jo I am now basically non weight bearing and back on the underarm crutches (quite a sense of deja vu about he whole thing)

I suspected the bike riding had nothing to do with it and I liken it to the mechanic who tells you to turn the radio up so you can't hear the noise in your car; a head in the sand solution.

I only have X-rays from July last year. I have had further X-rays done at the original hospital 4 times and at the new hospital once however they are only on the computer at the relevant hospital. I do have a CT scan which I would be happy or you to look at but there are 411 images of that!! I've attached the X-rays from 28 July 2014 (about 3 weeks after surgery) the bone scan and also a pic of my LLD as I sit. The original OS failed to consider this as relevant as previously said.

Oh and I think I do get your meaning Jo ;)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bill's Bionic Breakdown
    BoneScan.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 228
  • [Bonesmart.org] Bill's Bionic Breakdown
    Hip 28Julya.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 263
  • [Bonesmart.org] Bill's Bionic Breakdown
    LLD.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 246
  • [Bonesmart.org] Bill's Bionic Breakdown
    Pelvis 28Julya.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 258
No Josephine that was the surgeon that ignored my question
Well, like I said - he ignored it because he didn't know the answer!
I even asked my GP about it and her answer was your mind cannot shorten your leg.
You GP is terrific!
I suspected the bike riding had nothing to do with it and I liken it to the mechanic who tells you to turn the radio up so you can't hear the noise in your car
Exactly so! In a nutshell.
 
Hi everyone! Thanks for the continued good wishes - they are appreciated greatly.

I have had surgery confirmed for June 1 now and have my pre-op appointment at the hospital of the original THR (scene of the crime I refer to it as) on Monday.

I have been struggling quite a bit mentally and physically over the past few weeks, the pain is increasing (therefore this post at 2:30am) and I am fighting upping the dose of the pain meds but feel I will have to give in and take the increase.

I am also totally sick and tired of relying on crutches to get around and at times make an effort to walk unaided which ends in increased pain.

The 'what ifs' are playing on my mind as well thinking about the disaster of my first THR and what might be at the end of this one.

Sorry to whinge but not feeling real great at the moment...
 
Hi Bill - been thinking about you. Glad you finally got a date but I can imagine your frustration. You are not whinging! Who would have imagined what you have gone through? And yes, I can relate to the "what ifs". I was just as nervous - if not more so pre RTHR.

Take those meds - you need your sleep!
 
Bill,
Thinking about you and sending only positive thoughts your way for your upcoming revision. I was a basket case before my revision last year, and while it took awhile, I am happy with the outcome.
I agree with Jaycey, you have pain, take appropriate pain medications. No need to suffer needlessly.
Hope you get some :sleep:.
 
Thinking about and praying for you, @fulafoto ...praying that the Good Lord watch over and be with you now, during the surgery and always!

Warmest regards and sincerest wishes,

@IMs
 
Bill, glad you posted! It's good you have a date now, not so long off, is it? Go ahead and take what meds you need, no point in being a masochist.
You are not whingeing! You are updating us, and we want that!! I add my prayers to others', and will be counting the days right along with you :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Whoah. Just came to look around after a very long time and never expected to see yr posts looking like this bill. Sooo sorry. I guess yr a statistic. I sure hope june 1st goes easily and yr next recovery too. U were such a support to so many people and dont deserve this. Well, no one does. Take the pain meds, i agree. Looking forward to hearing good news from u. Devorah


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@fulafoto Hi, I had surgery one week before you and i watched as you were recovering. Having you have this set back pains me as you were doing so good. Ok, now you have around two weeks to get your mind in a good place. One aspect of your situation is that you had pretty good results at first. Now with this new OS you should be able to ace this next hurdle. Grab all the best tips from everybody here and put together a Positive Travel Bag to kick that hip's butt. Just trying to bring you some cheer as you have done for us. Jim from Oregon.
 
Not long now Bill.....hoping the time will fly for you. That's not whingeing...take the meds & get some relief. Thinking of you..Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom