Guest viewing is limited

THR Bill's Bionic Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all for your caring replies and as far as the weight is concerned I'll put it down to muscle and good temper :wink: and I am sure this leg is the cause of at least some of the weight.
Only a week today and am doing well still while taking it easy. DW is a bit off colour so I made us breakfast (toast) and coffee this morning walked to the letterbox and back twice and iced for 90 minutes.
Have my GP appointment tomorrow and I'm so looking forward to that - getting out of the house.
 
Glad to hear everything is good with you, Bill. Just when I feel I'm getting past the pain of recovery, I'll have a day where pain in the new hip reminds me that it is still healing. Most days are great though. Good to see you are taking care of DW. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Poppet - had an OK sort of day overall I guess you would say. This afternoon while sitting in the recliner I had a cramp from about the waist to just above the knee through the centre of the hip - not a pleasant feeling at all and since then it feels like the muscles in my thigh, from the top of the thigh to the knee have been 'mushed up' for want of a better term. I have iced including sitting on an ice pack as well as usual icing but it doesn't seem to ease it. It feel like it needs releasing in some way. I have also reverted tot he underarm crutches as I feel my gait is better with them and DW noticed I was subconsciously taking shortcuts with the elbow crutches which is not good at all.
Thanks @wannabebrave yes I have found as above it is two steps forward and one step back but we are progressing and will get there - that is the main thing for sure.
 
@fulafoto Just was catching up on your thread, was great to get the update from you this morning :). I for one am so glad you are on the other side....Makes me smile so much. Remember what we talked about this morning....ok...Go slow and let your body heal...Slow and steady :)...Hugs
 
Hi Bill, those spasms should ease. Everything is waking up after all the trauma of surgery. Are you keeping any post op pain under control. This is part of the post op pain so be sure and stay ahead of it. If things don't ease ask about physio including trigger point massage. Hurts like heck at first but it does ease those spasming muscles.
 
Hey Bill- sorry to hear about your recent scare- you did the right thing going to hosp. Glad there was nothing bad. Maybe your body eas habing a delayed shock reaction? The surgery is Major and you were struggling a long time before it. I think it does take time for our bodies to settle back to normal as it were.
And yes there is a lot of fluid and that takes a bit of time to go too.
I hope you are feeling better today and enjoy your trip out! keep on taking it gently :) slowly but surely you're mending now. Hugs, Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
hi bill @fulafoto . I haven't been here lately and was so happy to see that you're after surgery and, basically, doing well. I do remember different strange pains coming and going. now I'm over 6 months after and mostly i don't notice my hip. maybe a little still when standing after sitting for awhile. so glad you're finally in recovery. hope it just gets better and better. devorah
 
Thanks @Sue629 - yes I know slow and steady otherwise I will have you to deal with :)
@Jaycey thanks and yes I am keeping on top of the pain and what you said really did hit home especially about he muscles waking up - when I think about it they have stretched my thigh by 3cm to make my legs the same length and my muscles have that to deal with as well.
Thank you Gill @miaow27 and your exactly right too! It will take my body a lot longer than a week to settle down.
Thanks for stopping by Devorah @dickinson and really pleased your doing so well. When you can forget about your hip I think that is at least half the battle :)
Thankyou also @Poppet and I have printed that one and will make sure I eat some of those foods. So pleased to have talked to you too and still smiling ;)

Update today I went to have my dressing removed today from my GP and she is very happy with the incision which is great. She is also organising some physio for me to help so all in all a good day.
 
Bill after having read your pre-op thread and your difficult times, it's really great to see that you're doing so well!! I am sure you feel like a new man! Congratulations! !!
 
Hey Bill, hope that muscle thing eases for you. Has it?
Go slow, its worth it .... :dogsniff:
 
Hi Bill@fulafoto, I've been following your progress and quietly checking in... it sounds like your following all the advice given! If it's any consolation I seem to have put on about 10/12 lbs or so from 12 my pre assessment app to about 2 weeks post op! I got a little off but cut back too much and ended up feeling a bit week. I resorted to eating watermelon, celery and cucumber is salads to help with fluid retention. So the next few months will be spent loosing the 2 1/2 stone- 35 lbs I gained back since my hip got bad this year! Good luck with the recovery plan!
 
So glad your incision healing well Bill & your recovery going well...what good news x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @GabsJL - yes onward and upward from here on!!! Thanks so much and please do take care yourself as well.
Hi Claire @MajorHeidi - I guess my biggest 'whinge' at the moment are the muscles - bruising is coming out from around the incision right down to the bottom of my foot and being someone who doesn't usually bruise much it is unusual and painful but lets face it - if all I have to complain about is bruising then I'm doing pretty darn well aren't I?
Thanks you so much @NoraJ for dropping in and your comments - yes the weight thing is my biggest priority at the moment but of course I have to temper that with the need to take it easy. All the best of luck in your weight loss goals and plans :)
Thanks again Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny :)
 
Hey Bill, I haven't been here for a while, and now I see you've made it to the Other Side! Congratulations and welcome... Now I'm off to read your thread! :)
 
Well, I've caught up now, and everything is sounding good Bill! I AM glad! :) I have a theory about those early 'scares' that turn out to be nothing to worry about - remember I had one too?! I think in those very early days we feel euphoric, from the relief, the reduction in pain, and probably from the meds too, and we are at risk of over-doing things because we feel so great! So our clever bodies manufacture some kind of minor problem, just to give us a bit of a warning, and remind us that although we are part-bionic and we feel fantastic, we have in fact just had major surgery and we really do need to TAKE IT EASY! So, I'm glad your scare turned out fine, and consider yourself warned! :snork:

And here's to a splendid recovery, Bill! :cheers:
 
@fulafoto, have not been around much, but am so happy to read about your continued adventures on "this side" and am glad to see you are weathering the various twists and turns in these early weeks of recovery. "Slow and steady" sure worked for me. I hope your wife is okay now. (I assume "off color" means not feeling well? It means something different in the U.S.) Take care and remember that while it's one hip forward and one hip back somedays, as time goes you will more days where it's one hip forward. You sound like you are doing very well. Just hang in there.
 
Good morning @Poppet and thanks so much for your kind comments @FionaW and @Peaches
Not doing too bad - went to a dark place on Monday evening but have been fine since - been walking quite a bit and as of this morning I overdid it - 12 minutes up the street and now I have quite a bit of pain (just sending this and then icing). It was bound to happen and I have taken it as a sign to slow down!!!
Swelling of the leg is going down slowly and is now mainly in the lower calf and ankle.
Add to this DW and I took a role reversal yesterday when she went to the dentist and had two extractions so I became carer for the afternoon and evening.
Thanks for your concern @Poppet - it means a lot xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom