Guest viewing is limited

THR Bill's Bionic Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh its so good to see you on this side and doing well. Remember to go slow and :ice:, :ice: and :ice:. Its very important to keep the swelling down and also the pain. Take it slow. Tashia
 
Check out that t shirt.... Love it Bill... You could start a little business with that idea - I would buy one :)

You look fantastic, but you know I am going to say - it is a marathon not a sprint. Haha....

btw, lovely speaking with you today xx

p.s. Hubby came up with his first photo idea for the shadow theme... I will have to out my thinking cap on
 
HAHAHAHA Claire @MajorHeidi - yep I am tending to show off a bit to my DW and thank you for your kind words. You are so right about this terrific place -thinking about the pain and anguish both physical, emotional that we each go through that has bought us together and the camaraderie and sense of understanding and acceptance that we get is second to none. I can't say it loud or often enough - the members and staff here sensational!!!!
Thanks Ellen @shrinkette I fully intend to enjoy life to the full but am currently reining myself in so as not to overdo it.
Dieter @Dieter - you may have to market it - you would probably sell it by the case mate!!!!
And thankyou Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny you certainly are whetting my appetite and am looking forward to the day I can take a drink or two myself for sure and I am sure the time will fly. Yes this time last week I still had a few days before going in... it is hard to believe totally.
I had my first full shower today as well and it felt amazing to have a full wash to get rid of the residual antiseptics that had me with a yellow leg and foot, a shave and general clean up. Add to that the BM this morning and it was a day where I am asking what more could a fella want in life!
 
Thanks you @tashia and @Poppet - our messages must have crossed as I was typing my last one!
Yes tashia - I am icing like crazy - just finished another 90 minute session with two ice packs around the incision area and feels so much better!
It was great chatting with you too today Poppet and yes I did have a feeling you MIGHT say that LOL!!!!
Yes the T-shirt does look cool I reckon - my design and a friend who has a t-shirt printing company printed it up for me so I could get you one if you like?
In relation to shadows - think 'out of the box' my friend - so surprising what you can come up with! Here is a self portrait I did a couple of months ago;
[Bonesmart.org] Bill's Bionic Breakdown
 
Wow, @fulafoto ... look at you! Big smile, standing in the sunshine, cool T-shirt, wonderful posts. It's really great to see you on this side at long last and looking so well. Hope that leash you're on is a retractable one so you don't overdo it. Sounds like you know the drill with ice. Good luck with your upcoming doc appointment. Take care.

Just realized how fun it would be if we had emoticons for the various post-op milestones such as the first BM. :) Sorry, folks, could not resist. I laugh every time I read someone's post about their first time. Only on BS is a BM heralded so happily.
 
Love the new avatar! :yes: And one crutch at this point is impressive. That tightness and soreness in the thigh takes awhile to resolve. I still have it a bit at almost 5 weeks out, but it is better every day. Sounds like you are doing really really well. Enjoy that shower!
 
Great photo Bill, love the different textures in the background.. Hubby had an unboiled egg, spun it on a white stone kitchen bench and when it slowed down the shadows were amazing! xxxxxxxxx
 
Hello Bill, knew you make a wonderful HIPPIE! So glad that all has gone well for you, just rest and take it easy my friend. One of our worst enemies is ourselves and our desire to get in gear and go, go, go. You have waited so long and you deserve what the future holds for you which will finally and hopefully be a pain free life, no limping.
You will have every opportunity to grasp those moments that only you can bring alive to the world with your gift of photography. Take care my friend, rest, I will check in on you when you least expect it! Always.
 
Hi Bill- wishing you Congratulations on your new hip! (just a little belated- somehow missed your new thread - I had to do a search to find you!)
It sounds like you are doing brilliantly- well done! And yes I'm sure all your pre op practice on crutches had helped you in the beginning.
So glad you are doing so well - you really deserve it. May it continue!
:):) Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Hi Bill @fulafoto sounds like things are going great:) I'm happy to hear that you are resting, icing and following all the rules. As the days go on you'll find those rules harder to follow as you'll want to do more & more. When I saw my OS last week he said I'll feel even better a year from now - I feel so good now at 3 months that I can't imagine what better feels like. I'm doing so much more than I have in years that I told my DH to make me sit - I'm moving from morning to night. Aren't we all so lucky to have this life changing op available to us?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @Beachmusic - a small pier when we were away for a weekend. No one was around and it just looked like it needed to be taken :)
Thanks everyone for your kind wishes and yes I feel like I have been progressing at a million miles an hour, however!!!! talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse in one fell swoop. I ended up at hospital last night. Felt a little bit off colour in the afternoon and got cold - chilled to the bone cold, had blankets and heater on and still cold (remember it is winter here guys) however no temp at all. The incision started stinging as well about this time, a worrying level of about 7 and the groin was up about the same. I had my usual meds and rang the hospital and they suggested taking another 10 mg Oxy to see if it eases and if not - come straight in. Well it didn't ease and off to hospital we trotted at 10:30 last night. Saw a Dr who got the registrar who thoroughly checked out the incision (he even commented on how big it is) and said there is no sign of infection what-so-ever. He did thank me for coming in as if there is anything bad happening there they want to catch it ASAP and told me if there are any changes get straight back there. Got home about 3am, had a couple of panadiene forte and slept well and today has been quite manageable. The registrar asked what I had been doing that day and the funny thing is it was the quietest day I had had since getting out of hospital. hardly any walking or exercises so this one goes down to the unknown.
Alright there is no such thing as a stupid question I know but this one is a bit unusual I guess you would say. Does the prosthetic implant weigh considerably more than the bone it replaces? I got on the scales for the first time since surgery and I have put on more than 7 kilos!!!! That is over 15 pounds for my US friends.
I know I am carrying heaps of fluid in this huge leg but I am wondering if the weight of the prosthetic is of any consequence to the weight?
Obviously I would love to hear that the prosthetic weighs about 20 kilos therefore I have lost a heap of weight but as one great movie says "Tell him he's dreaming"
 
Dreaming..yep! 'Fraid so' Bill!! I asked that question & they said it weighed same as normal hip! However, fluid does weigh a lot so that might account for an increase in weight? That was a strange day for you....however, I really felt the cold for months after my THR and it made me shiver badly for some time. But how right you were to get it checked out!
What you will encounter during the recovery is lots of strange pains and niggles that crop is for a few days....and then disappear...only to be replaced with a new one!! Luckily most of them are documented on different threads on BS.
Hope you have a peaceful day with no more happenings! Chrissie x



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I've wondered the same thing @fulafoto. I haven't gained a lot tho, maybe a lb or two depending on the time of day, and I definitely think edema has something to do with that. Just looking at myself in the mirror dead on, that one hip is gigormous compared to the other. And what happened to my booty in the surgery? Did they remove and forget to replace it? Has it been compressed to nothing lying on my back all this time? It is MIA, at any rate.

I am sorry for your scare the other night...who needs that! It's good that you and they were on top of it right away, tho, and the news was good! Stay well! Won't it be great when we can really put these niggly worries behind us!?
 
Oh Bill @fulafoto I'm so happy that your trip to the hospital found everything A-ok and that you are back feeling better now. I tried to pull that "my new hip weighs more" at a Weight Watcher meeting but they weren't buying it LOL. In my case I had a lot of "oh boy I did it, my THR is done - let me reward myself with a donut or a pint of ice cream" you name it I consumed it:) Walking about 4 miles a day now & hoping to shed the extra pounds. Wishing you a totally uneventful day - Joyce
 
I asked my OS about weight of the implant...he said well, its a big stem because you are a big guy, total weight about 1.5 lbs (.68 kilo). I very much doubt he took out 1.5 lbs of bone
sorry for your hiccup, seems like you managed right through
 
Bill, glad you had things checked out at the hospital, and you are allright.
:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom