Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused when I see some people don't have rehab after knee replacements or don't exercise
Don't confuse not having formal hands on PT with a therapist in the way you do in the US with 'not exercising'. We do exercises at home on our own using a sheet or booklet given by the hospital. Usually it's quite enough.
I do think you have to go through some pain in the beginning.
Yes, "some". Just not excessive pain. Certainly not that dealt out by some PTs who appear to feel it is their mission in life to make your leg bend at all costs, no matter how much you are screaming and crying!
 
Yes, I agree not excessive. Two days after surgery I was in a rehabilitation center because I had bilateral TKR, they start you right out with PT twice a day and OT twice a day. I don't think I suffered any tough pain except getting up and down the first few days. My outpatient PT, thank god, never hurt me and I was so worried about that. I have only 2 sessions left and I will continue on my own.
 
...When I do to much my knee swells. then there go my exercise bcause I can not bend it because of the swelling. Is this normal?..
Yes it is normal, and the recommendation is to note what it is that causes your knee to swell --- then not do it.

Don't exercise with a swollen knee if there's any force through the knee; gentle knee bends are OK as long as they are passive (knee bends are 100% out, rocking chair in) and absolutely don't hurt.
 
When I know I have overdone it, I take my pain meds and stop. Today I really over did it as I had guests over and sort of almost did a not-much-stop type of thing. Though the friends put the food away, it was a lot for being 8½ weeks. I took pain medication mid day and now that all are gone, I took pain meds and have my feet and ankles up on a pillow. I have ice on the knee, but it is no so much knee pain but RA pain is sending me almost over the edge. My knee is a little bit swollen, but not really that painful. I mostly have pain in my back, neck, shoulders, and have a headache. Will have to take it easy the next few days. I understand you feeling like you have taken some weeks back Judgar. I t seems like we will have these back and fourth days for a while. All we can do when that happens is ice, rest, (exercise can be done later), pain medication to give the body time to rest and regroup.
 
oday I really over did it as I had guests over and sort of almost did a not-much-stop type of thing.
Yes---"tis the season", as they say. No biggie, but you are wise to ice, elevate, rest, and take those pain meds. We all have to "pay the piper" for those dances

I t seems like we will have these back and fourth days for a while.
Oh, yes we do---it is very much like that roller coaster ride. We ust have to understand and be patient in that the final point of our destination will be much, much better. I went through those ups and downs, too, and I commiserate with you.
 
Great news I had my last day of outpatient therapy today. I am almost 10 wks. post BTKR and I'm at 140 degrees. I am walking without a cane. I will continue to work each day on my own. I still have stiffness and a little swelling but that is par for surgery. ]I was so busy over the the holidays, I could barely walk but I still feel so much better than pre surgery.
I encourage everyone to do therapy at home or with an outside agency. I have been lucky and really had no severe pain with rehabilitation, home health, or out patient therapy but I also work myself as hard at home. It continues to be a bit frustrating and I get so tired especially the last few days with celebrating Christmas with my family. I still take a pain pill at night. My daughter is home for the holiday and she is on her way to Tennessee to finish her last internship for her Dr. in PT. She assures me that this is a slow recovery and to be patient.
I want to encourage anyone on this site and are not sure of doing this surgery to realize it is an individual recovery but it is worth it.
 
Twiggy, Sounds like you are way ahead of course. Congratulations so far for what sounds like a very successful surgery and a hi five for your bravery. Bilaterals are not for the weak hearted.. Aithough you are doing so amazingly well be cautious of over exerting yourself. The soft tissue I believe is the very last to heal along with the nerves. Im no expert so dont bank on that. Its so great to hear a happy successful story with minimal complications. I have read a few horror stories so this thread is a breath of fresh air. Keep up the great work.
 
Twiggy---that is an excellent report!!! Congratulations!!! You are doing outstanding!!!

From one BTKR alumnus to another, you deserve a double-pump secret handshake!!
 
I should mention I really baby myself. I did mention before I am retired from 38 yrs. of teaching and I consider this my job now, getting healthy. My husband is great, he is also retired, does all the cooking, cleans up and has really taken good care of me. He was really ill about 6 years ago for a long time and he knows what it is like to not feel well I still know I have a lot of work ahead of me but my knees were so bad before that anything would be an improvement. Good luck and keep me posted on how you do.
 
Icep707
That last message was for you. sorry I left out your name.

Tim, again thanks for you support!
 
Wow Twiggy, you sound like you are doing fantastic. That is wonderful and I am so glad you are doing well. It is so true that we all progress at different rates and at the pace that is meant for us and our bodies to handle. That is great flexion measurements for bilateral.You don't really need to have PT just what you are doing at home should be more than enough. Continue doing what you are doing and glad to hear you have progressed so well. :ereindeer::yay:
 
Congratulations! Just catching up with your thread. You sound terrific and doing so well. I wish you continued success in the new year!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral TKR
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral TKR
bottomshollow
 
I also hope everyone has a Happy and Healthy New Year!
 
I had my first post pedicure today and it was great. I was a bit worried about getting out of the chair but everyone there was so helpful and they were very impressed with my knee scars. The woman next to me had a recent hip replacement. The girl doing my toes reminded me how last spring ( Pre-BTKR ) my knees were in so much pain she had to stop and let me take a break.
 
I am having some pain on the upper inside of my calf. Would that be some nerve feelings coming back?
 
No, nerve division occurs on the outside of your knee Numb area after TKR. I would imagine that it's just general soft tissue tenderness which can occur. Are you still taking pain meds? And if so, what, how much and how often?
 
Josephine, I am still taking 2 oxycodone-325 only at night and was going to go off them and not get another refill. I just start having this pain 2 days ago. It is right below my knee on the inside calf.
 
Like I said, it's just general soft tissue tenderness and needs to be medicated if it's persistent, causing you to limp or is generally discomforting. It might be that Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day would be sufficient but I do think that 'only once a day' meds are inadequate. I expect it will settle in time. I had a similar thing at about your stage of 10 weeks. It might even be the start of a varicose vein. Either way, don't let it worry you.
 
Thanks Josephine for your information, I admire you for all the help and information you give everyone.
You are a very giving person because I see all the time and information you give people, that is a very giving and great gift you have.
I stopped home therapy yesterday and today, I was out all day but the pain as gone away for now.
I spoke to my family Dr. and he is prescribing me more pain pills which even though I don't have terrible pain, on certain days I do feel I need them at night and certain days in the afternoon.

I continue to learn from this site and appreciate all the time people put into this site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom