Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kudos. However, again you are missing my point. Pain meds are only active in our bodies for around 4-5 hours so taking them so infrequently is not going to resolve your problems. I suggested you try taking Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day and now you say this ..
on certain days I do feel I need them at night and certain days in the afternoon.

Please do try my suggestion for at least a week and see how it goes. If it doesn't help then I am wrong. But at least give it a try. Okay?
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral TKR
 
I was and do take Tylenol during the day and take a stronger pain pill at night. I did forget to mention that. Sorry. For those 2 days that I had that pain on my inner calf I did end up taking a stronger pain med. in the afternoon because I was icing and elevating and not driving anywhere. I am happy to say that pain is gone. It was a strange sensation maybe I slept wrong or just part of recovery. I also did no PT on those 2 days.

Thanks for your advice.
 
Sometimes you get those strange pains for no reason you can pin down, though you are more active so the muscles etc. are adjusting. I think you took the right approach of taking it easy for a couple of days.
 
Hi Twiggy - I just found your thread. I have not started one of my own yet. Still trying to figure out how. I have been reading some of your posts. My doctor does not use the rotating machine either. So your notes are helpful to me, thank you.
 
NewkneesNH, Your surgery is right around the corner. I'll be thinking of you and I hate to tell you this but I will be going to Florida on that date. I live in Northeast, PA and am tired of the cold and I have a chance to go. I will be 12 weeks post BTKR on Monday. I am so happy I did this and feel much better now than I did before operation. I spent 2 nights in Orthopedic hospital and they really kept my pain under control. The Rehab. center had PT and OT twice a day and they pushed a little but I did very well. I took pain pills on a schedule and now I take tylenol and a stronger pill if needed. I will never forget when I got to rehab. after a 1 and a half hour ambulance ride and they wanted me to get up and I really didn't think I could and that pain was bad and the first few days were tough but not as bad as I thought.
I iced frequently and continued therapy at home and was released from outpatient therapy on Dec.28th. I still ice and elevate my knees and workout everyday. I hope to make this part of my daily activities. I have been walking without a cane since before Thanksgiving and was able to drive 4wks. after operation. I think I had an excellent Dr. and great care. He gave very good instructions to all my PT'S as to what they could do
I am glad I never had to use the rotating machine but I guess all Dr.'s are different. I never slept with my legs elevated and I don't know when I start sleeping on my side but in the beginning you have no choice but to sleep on your back. I know it will take time to be completely healed but again I know already it is worth it. Good Luck and please feel free to contact me with any questions and concerns. I will check and see how to start a thread.
 
I did forget to mention that you still really get tired for awhile and have to know when to rest. During my time in rehab. I had to have a blood transfusion which I hear is not uncommon for BTKR. My blood level is now back to normal but I still watch and don't plan too many activities on one day.
 
Hi Twiggy - thanks for your note. Sounds like we have similar doctors. My doctor use to have patients wake up using the rotating machine, but no longer uses it. Interesting that you never elevated at night, sounds like a better way to sleep actually. My OS said I will be in the hospital 4-5 days and then will either go home or go to the Rehab facility which is right next door but you go my ambulance and be there for a week or less. He says it all depends on how I am doing and they make those decisions on the 4th day. We are organizing a downstairs bedroom so if I do come home right away, everything will be easy for me to find.

What day did your have your surgery? That was a fast move to Rehab after 2 days.

Have a wonderful time in Florida, lucky you! Thanks for staying in touch.
 
newkneesNH,

I did elevate and ice my knees frequently but I didn't when I slept. I didn't have major problems sleeping but in rehab. I usually ended sleeping only 5hrs. Too much activity going on. My knees really didn't hurt when I was in bed. I just had a hard time moving around in the bed. My roommate in rehab. also had BTKR and if we dropped something it was like oh well! Ring the bell and we would just laugh at the situation we were in. The nurses kept saying soon this will only be a memory.
I had my operation on Monday afternoon and went to rehab. Wednesday evening. I think that 2 days is pretty normal unless you have a problem but I don't know. I spent 9 nights in rehab.
My house has the master bedroom on the top floor which is the floor you walk in on. I was able to walk up and down stairs early on with my cane. We practiced during rehab.
My biggest fear in rehab was that I wouldn't be able to get in my SUV to go home so the day before I left they went out with me when my husband arrived to practice with me. I am 6 feet tall and have really long legs.
Have a good night! Think only positive thoughts.
 
GReat, update!
 
Can anyone tell me when they stopped icing? Today I got up, exercised, went out and did things and I realized at about 5 00 I hadn't ice all day. My husband said he noticed the last few days I hadn't been icing until late in the day.
I'm thinking this is a good thing but would like to know what has been happening with others at my stage.
 
It sounds like you're naturally icing less because you need to less. I know I iced after work most days probably until about 4 months but at some point I just didn't need to.
 
Well I almost took a bath tonight ( my ideal night is to take a bubble bath, listen to music and have a glass of wine ). I can get in a tub but I'm afraid I won't be able to get up. We don't have bars on the wall, my husband felt he could help me get out but I was afraid.
I am starting water therapy tomorrow where I had rehab. This is something I have to pay for but looking forward to it.
Good luck to all new and recent knee replacements.
 
The last 2 days I have slowed down a bit. My right knee start swelling again but it doesn't hurt more. It just freaked me out to see it go up again. I wasn't icing as much early in the day because I was busy and didn't feel any pain but I have resumed doing so.
 
I have slowed down and have been icing, but my right knee is swollen right at the top of scar and a bubble to the right of that. I called the Dr.'s office today and the nurse called me back, she told me I would have swelling on an off for a year and did tell me I could come in and they would look at it. I live about an hour an a half away and they couldn't see me until Thur. I am scheduled to fly out of Philadelphia early Thur. morning to go to Florida for 10 days. They then told me I could go to another of there locations 45 minutes away where a Dr. would check it before I went away. I don't have pain but it doesn't seem normal. Has this happened to anyone else. I also was walking fine but now don't feel as steady.
I do plan on going to satellite center tomorrow and I'm hoping this is normal.
 
I'm sorry that your knee is giving you concern but very glad that they are able to get you in to see someone before you leave for your trip. Please be sure to let us know what they say. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing out of the ordinary
 
Hi @ Twiggy, I see your question about icing. Sounds like you are doing so well. I am proud of you. I am proud of myself too. We are almost partners in crime 2 days apart. I am still icing. I had an ice pack on last night. Least little thing the knee swells up a little and becomes stiff so I ice. I actually ice at work all day on and off and believe me I do need it there. I will ice until my knee says stop. Hope you are having a good day Twiggy.
 
I saw a PA today and he said it is just the normal swelling with BTKR. I think because I'm going away I panicked a little. He told me , what this site has been saying, to continue to ice and elevate.

Josephine, I'm not equipped to take a picture now. It doesn't hurt at all but I feel better I had it checked out. A bubble may not be the correct description more like a bulge on outer right knee.
 
I would still ice and elevate as needed. Ice is your friend---I was still icing every now and then at four months or so.

Remember, everybody heals at a different pace, and icing can be a big asset to you when you need it.

You may not need to ice for long periods of time, but a half-hour here and there can be a help to you--I know that it did me some good!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom