Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Twiggy

No worries, life goes on away from here. Congratulations on your retirement. I hope you're enjoying and have adapted to it ok? I fully intend to start water aerobics in January. I have done it pre revision and I was okay with it. I love water.

Well done on your 1year ankneeversary the other week xxx it was a lovely positive post that I sincerely hope that others read it tooxx

I'm suffering badly with my chest at the moment, I got steroids and antibiotics. However the revision seems to have done the trick on my knee and I'm finally reducing the morphine xxx Anyway, message me anytime you want to chat. I'm more than happy xxx

Love Ann x
 
Greetings to All - Have not written in quite awhile. I am doing very well. Can't believe it has been 10 months since my BTKR last January. I have become so active now that my days are filled with working, running errands, and helping others in their daily lives. I only take Tylenol if I over do it or have a super busy day with a lot of activity. I have not needed to ice in months. I worked very hard in my physical therapy after the surgery and continued my Pt for 3-4 months and then on my own at home. I am actually at the point where I have days that I forget about my knees or that I had surgery at all. I do get reminded at times on the stairs or when I do too much. But by the next day I am fine, no complaints. Anyone thinking about having BTKR or about to have surgery, I will be glad to share my experiences with you and help you in any way I can. I had a very positive outcome and an excellent surgeon.
Thank you to everyone here that supported me, answered my questions when I was worried or scared before the surgery, and guided me through recovery. This site and all of you made everything better.
 
Hi Ann,
Thank you for your note. Not sure why you wrote aka Twiggy - that is someone else I believe on the site?
I am doing very well with my BTKR since January. I keep remembering last winter at this time and the horrible daily pain I felt and now it's gone. A miracle! I could not enjoy any of the holidays last year - not able to shop, run around or even cook much. This year will be much more fun. I can not walk my dog around the neighborhood and she is a Bernese Mt. Dog, go to work part time, housework, and have my normal active life back. Ann - how are you doing with your recovery? Are there things you can do now that you could not do before?

The surgery was a blessing and so was my husband during my recovery. Even today he reminds me how far I have come doing both knees at the same time and how proud he is of me. He notices if I may be more cautious and is so understanding of my knees and what I should not try to do quickly. I am so thankful to my surgeon for offering to do both knees at once. He only offers this to certain patients that he thinks are good candidates for the recovery. He was right and he has been so good to me. I see him at my one year anniversary from surgery January 23rd. I know they'll take xrays to check the alignment etc. I would appreciate hearing from other BTKR people and how their one year check up went with their doctors? Questions or concerns too? Thank you everyone here, this site has been a true blessing to me.
 
That's lovely news to hear. I am genuinely pleased that you took the brave step and had a bilateral and it's worked beautifully.

Unfortunately I had to have a revision seven weeks ago. I'm ok now. Getting better daily. I start hydrotherapy on Wednesday so that my way forwards. I'm still on morphine but in the process of reducing it. I haven't driven or been back to work yet but hopefully the New year I will return.

Don't forget to post an update on your one year anniversary. Well done I love success and happy recoveries.

Love Ann x x x
 
Hi Ann,

What did you have done during your revision? What were you feeling prior to it and what did the doctor have to do in surgery? Is your therapy in a swimming pool? That should feel good I hope. Please let me know how it goes. I am always wondering if any little feeling I am having is good or bad, etc. Sometime stiff but goes away, etc. thanks so much.

Kim
 
Hi Kim

Prior to the revision was terrific swelling and stiffness. The knee was twice the size of the other one even after seven months. Then my mobility began to decrease, so they did cortisone injections and aspiration (drainage) in June. They didn't work. He realised there was a problem with my kneecap it hadn't been replaced. Apparently over here it's 60/40 whether they change it or not. I was in theatre wide awake having had a spinal block and it took as long as a knee replacement. They had to clean it out. Do the patella and fit a new spacer into the joint. Since they've done that it doesn't even feel like the same joint. Crazy I know but true. I'm still unable to walk very far but once I start those pool exercises (hydrotherapy) I'm going to be much better. Several of my friends on here who had theirs done are fabulous. One even did the Mach Picchu Inca trail a few months down the line. All the ones with good recovery say the same thing. It does ache at times but it's nothing like the presurgical arthritic pain you get x x x

Please stay in touch when you can. It was lovely to hear from you.

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom