Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to hear that things are (mostly) well. I'm at 12 weeks today - halfway to where you are :-)




BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks JackiFLY, I appreciate your support. I'm glad you are doing well.

I was hoping to get some answers from the people who have made it to the 6 month mark.
 
Can anyone tell me why after 6 months I feel knee pain? Is it because my nerve endings are coming back and numbness is going away? HELP!
 
What kind of pain is it, how bad is it and when do you get it?
 
My pain is on the right side of my knee. It goes away but comes back again. Tonight it hurts and when I bend my knee it is stiff. It seems abit swollen. It's a stabbing pain.
 
Hmm, I don't know. Let me tag @Josephine and @Jamie. There is a chart they like to post and some specific questions they can ask you and might be able to give you some ideas.

Are you icing it? That's usually a good plan of action.
 
Can anyone tell me why after 6 months I feel knee pain?
Well, it rather depends upon what you've been doing in that time.

First tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart and please note the instructions in the smaller image
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral TKR


[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral TKR




Then tell me

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. are you taking any pain medications for it? If so what, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. what has your activity level been in the 2-4 weeks prior to this pain starting? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., sports, hiking, all that kind of stuff...

6. what kind of PT/exercises have you been doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
It is located CRF1, DRF1 and on the inside of DRF2 ERF2.

My pain level is about 5.

I am 6 months BTKR and had been doing great. It is swollen now. I had been off all meds for about 6weeks. I start taking 2 tylenol 500 mg. every 4 hrs. and ibuprofen 800 2 times a day.

I am now icing and elevating.

I was doing all normal activities, do water aerobics, or ride my recumbent bike daily. I had been feeling normal and then about a week ago my right knee start hurting and last night and today very sore. I did call the Dr. but can't see him until next week.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your replies - very helpful. So your pain is located thusly, yes?

[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral TKR


My pain level is about 5.
That's sore!
I start taking 2 tylenol 500 mg. every 4 hrs. and ibuprofen 800 2 times a day.
Very good. And is it helping?
I am now icing and elevating.
How long and how often?
How high are you elevating?
I was doing all normal activities, do water aerobics, or ride my recumbent bike daily.
I did ask for specific details, specially of what you were doing in the 2 weeks prior to the beginning of this pain. This may seem pernicity but I need the detail to figure this out though I think I have a pretty good idea already!
 
I had my BTKR approximately 3 weeks after you. I am now having this stabbing pain also on and off for the past 2 weeks. I know I've been doing too much, but to do so well and then have this setback isn't fun. Hope you start feeling better. I'll be watching for Josephine's explanations. Her information has helped a lot the past week since finding this site.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
cathykym,
It has been very frustrating because I was starting to feel normal and I had been feeling great. Good luck with your recovery. My numbness feels like it is going away and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
 
Josephine,
I have been doing the same thing in the last 2 weeks as I was the last 2 months-recumbent bike, water aerobics, cleaning, shopping. I was still icing only in the evening 1x and my knees were feeling great. I don't know what happened. I am seeing my Dr. on Friday. I am now elevating above my heart and icing 3 or 4x's a day. I stopped water aerobics and biking and returned to basic exercises. I could have seen PA today but I want to see the Dr. I don't understand how I could be doing so good and then have this pain.
 
Okay, if you don't want to answer me, that's fine.
 
Josephine,
I thought I did in the forum above yours.
 
@Twiggy - Josephine is looking for specifics.... What you were doing, what intensity, for how long, how many times, etc.

The more specific you can be, the better she'll be able to help :-)

You may have mentioned it earlier in your thread or in another thread but she can't go chasing it down which is why she asked again.

For example - recumbent bike, NuStep - level 3, 30 minutes, 3-4 times per week.

Hope this helps,
Jacki


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Well, I ended up seeing the PA, Dr. is in Korea for update on new knee. I was feeling better when I saw Pa but still sore. He thought I over did it and drained my right knee and gave me a shot. I thought I was done with that but since then I feel great again. I continue to do water aerobics and ride recumbent bike on opposite days. Ice more and rest more again.This is a long recovery but still so happy I did. Good luck to all. This is a brave thing to do.
 
Hi @Twiggy

I was hoping I'd get here and see a 12 month update on your bilateral. Never mind. I hope all is going well for you xx
 
It has been a year since I had BTKR. It has been the best thing I ever did. I feel great and haven't had pain in a long time. I can do things I haven't done in years. Looking back even though I did well, it probably does take a year to feel totally normal. Good luck to people just beginning this journey. Be patient, do exercises, rest and ice your knees.
 
Hi @Twiggy

That's so lovely of you to get in touch and give us an update. Bless you, that's so kind. How so wonderful that you've recovered so well. This will certainly inspire others with their recovery from BTKR.

You were ever so kind to me at the very start of my recovery. I did thank you. It's at the top of page 3 of my thread. Unfortunately I never put the @ sign on anything at first. So belatedly again, I do thank you.

I'm so glad you've made a full recovery and I know you're right about the 1year recovery to more normality.

I hope all is well with you.

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Nana Moon,
How are you doing? I feel bad I haven't kept up with posts. I was so fortunate to have had such a good recovery but I did work hard and I still do water aerobics 3 to 4 times a week. I am also retired from teaching so I have the time to do this. hope you are well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom