Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything I can take to get through the next 3 week for pain? Takes forever to get comfortable at night and I teach school so I cannot be groggy. I'm also allergic to codeine. :( tired of being tired already.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Have you asked your Dr? Sorry to hear your having so much trouble at night, -there must be something you can take. I take Tramal (tramadol hydrochloride), to sleep at night, but I need a prescription to get it. There is a slow release version so the pain relief lasts all night. I don't wake up groggy on these.
 
I did ask today. She suggested trying an OTC sleep aid first. I teach PreK and our building in on one end of campus up hill. Also very steep hill on playground. :( can't wait to be on the recovery side.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I took a children's benadryl last night, which is one of the main ingredients used in sleep aids, and slept a bit better after I finally got comfortable. I also scheduled an appointment to give one pint of blood just in case. I go May 1st for that, May 12th for education and preop, and surgery May 19th. Feels like the days are going quickly now. :bow:

Out of curiosity, when did you have to stop taking tylenol and advil prior to surgery? Nurse said only blood thinners at a week before and that it was just a few days for the others. I don't want any surprises to reschedule my surgery. :dubious::beg::chinstroke:
 
Blood thinners seem to be different with every doctor and surgeon. In fact, my OS said one thing and cardiologist said another. I wasn't taking Tylenol or Advil and was NOT told to stop the Vicodin (Hydrocodone) I was taking prior to surgery. OS differ on that too. I do wonder if the fact that I had been taking the Vicodin for at least 5 years made me kind of resistant to pain meds and whether that was why it was so hard to get my pain under control. I had asked my OS about that and he just said they could just give me more pain meds if they had to but then it seemed like he just ordered his usual or standard meds for me and so I had 2 terrible days of pain in hospital before they added Diluadid (sp?) to the mix. I would definitely suggest discussing pain control in advance with your surgeon and possibly primary care provider as well. Some surgeons continue to monitor and prescribe pain meds but many folks have had better luck going thru their PCC for pain control. Since my PCC is easier to reach, I've asked for refills from him.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral TKR in May.
I can do this! 23 more days.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Yes----you can do this---we will be here to help you and to support you---think about the future---think about how great you will feel and what you will be able to do---and capable of doing---without the pain.

When you ever question the BTKR, think about how much more enjoyable your life will be when you are pain-free!

Remember--your life is meant to be savored---to be enjoyed---it is not meant to be merely endured.

23 days, and you will take a huge step in reclaiming your life and enjoying so much more!
 
Thank you @Referee. I never question the bilateral part. I'm just in pain every day and question my sanity. ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
ok...........maybe this is strange but I feel like I am nesting.........LOL Scrubbed down the kitchen today.
 
Hi msmechanic58, nesting? I did the same thing before my surgery. I quit teaching (preschool too!) mid February and by the time I had my surgery, April 1, I had cleaned out every closet in my house and did all my lesson plans for fall 2014! I just needed order in my life! I'm so glad I did as much as I did before hand because I'm certainly more focused on my recovery now than my house.


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
I think I made a mistake!!! I went to the post op and clicked on the scar thread. Maybe I will just cancel!!!
@msmechanic58 , I cannot begin to tell you how many times I almost cancelled. I was scared to death having had sooooo many surgeries all over my body, knowing how I do with anesthesia, and knowing I only have one pain med I can take. I am either allergic to every other pain med or they have zero effect on my pain. I was borderline for canceling. Two things kept me from it..... The entire couple of weeks before my scheduled date, I was having more problems than ever with my knee, with pain, I could barely walk etc. It was almost as if my body knew I was wavering and was sending me strong messages about how very badly I needed this. Also, I knew if I did cancel, I'd have worried and stressed for nothing, I'd have to reschedule and go through everything all over for no good reason. (I had already had to cancel twice due to some major health problems I got hit with that were beyond my control) The two nights before I didn't sleep, and the morning of I was so nervous I felt sick to my stomach. But I was lucky and got an early am time, and then another blessing as the man before me had to be cancelled when he got there (not a blessing for him, I'm sure-he sounded disappointed), so I was first up. In the pre-op I was shaking so much they kept bringing me warm blankets, thinking I was cold. I had to tell them a few times I wasn't cold, I was a nervous wreck...lol. The anesthetist gave me something to calm me and after that, while I was awake for a bit longer, I wasn't nervous anymore. It is nerve wracking, my doctor told me if I wasn't nervous he'd be worried, but we have to take our lives back. It's no picnic, but I just keep picturing myself walking, playing with my granddaughter, biking, swimming, dancing :dancy:... the list goes on. I have been slowing down for many years, and this past year I have basically put my life on hold. But no more-I will soon be DANCING!!!! I can't wait. So, my advice to you is to focus on learning all you can before hand about what you'll need after, and getting all your ducks in a row. Don't waste any more time or energy stressing about canceling or am I sures, etc. Good luck and we'll be here for you before and after. Kim
 
but we have to take our lives back. It's no picnic, but I just keep picturing myself walking, playing with my granddaughter, biking, swimming, dancing :dancy:... the list goes on. I have been slowing down for many years, and this past year I have basically put my life on hold. But no more-I will soon be DANCING!!!!
It is true that recovery is no picnic---but it is certainly do-able and it is certainly very worthwhile! You can enjoy all of the aspects of your life and not merely endure your life!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
agreed, @referee54. I am a good example of it being do-able...lol. Believe me our lives are well worth doing this procedure. I can't remember the last time I took a bike ride along the river or went swimming, or enjoyed the pleasure of doing anything that involved my knee. Just the thought gives me goose-bumps from the excitement.
 
I can participate in activities now that I only thought about doing eight to ten years ago. Cycling is now pretty much a way of life for me, and my officiating is easier and I do more of it---and enjoy it more. Other activities are easier and so much more enjoyable!
 
I am so excited at the possibilities opening out in front of me, as soon as this part is all behind me.
I was in pain---not awful, but very restrictive; in fact, I had become somewhat dysfunctional, as the arthritis moved so slowly that I did not realize---until much later after my surgery----how much I missed out on everything.

After my surgery and recovery (which was longer than I thought it would be), suddenly, everything became so much easier and much more enjoyable. No pain, no pills, no thoughts about "I will certainly pay for this later."

Life became much more spontaneous.
 
I can't wait for that time. I am just starting to see a few ways in which I've been dysfunctional too. I am sure one day soon I will see the past behind me and the future before me.
 
18 days to reclaim my life time. Going to give a pint of blood tomorrow just in case.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom