Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice would be typical, but you could give the heating pad a try. Sometimes the warmth can be soothing. If it makes you feel worse, don't do it again. :)
 
Just a thought @msmechanic58 about the issue with your mother wanting to come. My BTKR was 8 days ago. I'm doing well. My biggest annoyance are well meaning friends who think they are helping by calling and visiting. I just want to be left alone to sleep!

It might be possible to take the family drama out of it just by saying you need to reserve all your strength for healing. Nothing to do with family dynamics, of course :snork:, just that you've been advised you will heal faster if all you have to do is think about yourself.
 
I have an appointment on Monday with OS. I think I will ask her to wait until June to visit and blame it on the OS. Lol. The problem is she doesn't listen to anyone and just does what she wants. Blah! I'll deal with it when and if it happens!

On another note, I'm tired of feeling like an invalid that cannot participate in life. :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Blame your OS....heck, blame me! But you're right. She probably won't listen. You just have to protect yourself!
 
In the hospital and rehab, I used the kind of walker with only 2 wheels. Before I left rehab, I was cleared to use the walker with 4 wheels. I had borrowed both from friends. I am now cleared to use a cane in the house but I still like the walker because I can carry things inside the seat and on top of the seat and it makes it easier to move things around. I've been putting laundry in and out, things like that. Sometimes I'm just tired or in pain and appreciate leaning on the walker. I am using a shower seat but it takes up most of the room in my small shower so I plan to just stand in the shower soon. I'm taking it slow because the last thing I want would be to fall and injure myself. It's not about pride for me - I don't really care what it looks like.

2 things I was worried about that turned out to be easier than expected. One was getting into and out of the car which they taught me at rehab. I came home in a Honda. The other was going up the step to get inside my house. They were discouraging me from coming home because of the step and I had purchased a small (4 inch?) step to put in front of the step up to the door so it was pretty easy to go up 2 small steps into the house. One thing that was harder was my toilet. I had a raised toilet seat but it's not as tall as the potty chairs in the facilities and was difficult to get up and down the first week and still sometimes hurts more than I'd like. But we rise to the occasion (ha, ha) when necessary.
 
Definitely use the OS instructions as the "reason." It's sometimes hard to say no directly.

I have a really good friend who last time had the brilliant idea that someone (in this case my sister who was going to be staying with me at first) would be the "contact person" who people could ask if I was up to a visit, etc. And I did have times where I said no.
 
Well.....had consult to finalize surgery this past Monday. Nurse will call with blood donation info, education date, and pre option appointment. Regular nurse was out. I am in so much pain I think the surgery will be a big relief. Feel nauseous and tired from the pain. Cancelled all my after school ring and have difficulty getting up the stairs after teaching my 8 hours. Feel like crying most day's. Ready for my life back.

On the parent note - I have not called them yet. Waiting to see if stepdaughter (36) will be moving in for a few months on Monday. If she does there will be no room for parents. Dreading conversation with them. More tears! I am not normally a crying person. Ugggghhhh.
 
Surgery, itself, will be a piece of cake, @msmechanic58 ! Your arthritic pain will be a thing of the past soooooo quickly it will be amazing. Recovery has its challenges but you know things are getting better. I wish you didn't have to contend with family issues, but they are what they are. Best wishes in
this last month of prep. It is a countdown to your new and better life!!!!!!
 
Any of you donate blood before your surgery? Found out today that I should have started in March. :/


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I wasn't told I had to do that. And I don't see my OS for another week nor have my pre-op testing for another 2 weeks. I do have my joint class at the hospital next week and maybe they will say something then. But then again by then it may be too late.
 
I wasn't told either until this Monday. OS said it was an option in case of large blood loss.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My OS said the need for a transfusion is rare. He also used some kind of system to recover lost blood & give it back to me. We'll see if he does the same this time.
 
I donated blood ahead of time but never did find out if it was used.

In the first couple of weeks, it was all I could do to tolerate visitors for a short time. Even when I was looking forward to it, my energy was so quickly exhausted and then it just felt like a chore to stay awake and visit, so personally I think you should discourage all but the most understanding, helpful people from even visiting for the first few weeks. I didn't get depressed as much as really irritable from having so little energy and being so uncomfortable. Some people are lucky with these surgeries and don't have much pain and some people seem to feed on the energy of visitors and it lifts them up, but you know yourself and are the best one to assess how your mother with affect you.:hairpulling:

I am at 4 weeks out now and have spent the majority of my time at home in my recliner rather than bed. It's simply more comfortable for me and easier to get in and out of, to get to the kitchen, and have all my "needs" on tables nearby. :sleeep:If you had to go to your bedroom to get away from visitors who are staying, that would limit your options of where you could set up and sleep without being disturbed.

Above all else, do what is best for you. This will be a difficult journey (unless you are one of the very lucky ones) so make it as easy for yourself as possible. Put yourself first!!!!:puppysmooze:
 
Dreading conversation with them. More tears! I am not normally a crying person. Ugggghhhh.
I am sorry to read of the frustration and the emotional issues that you are having---I do believe that honesty is the best policy here---and that you need to be forthright in telling her that you need to rest and take it easy.

he problem is she doesn't listen to anyone and just does what she wants.
She needs to understand that your needs are the most important at this period of time---not what she wants, but what you need during your recovery.
 
@Referee - there in lies the issue. It is always about her. :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
It is absolutely OK for you to be selfish now---your new knees will take time and patience to recover---as a BTKR alumnus, I can tell you that you can be selfish and not be sorry for it---you will have ups and downs and things may move more slowly than you think it should---you do not have to need to worry about anything but taking care of your recovery---nobody else should really matter at this time.
 
Cancelled all my after school ring and have difficulty getting up the stairs after teaching my 8 hours. Feel like crying most day's. Ready for my life back.
It may take a little bit of time--but you will get your life back---as a teacher with 37 years experience, i can tell you that once you fully recover from your BTKR, teaching will be a dream---no pain, very little effort, and so much more enjoyable.

You will not have to worry about cancelling anything on account of the pain. There will be none.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom