Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so tired of hearing that people are being told they are too young for this. Your knees are bone-on-bone or close to it, and in pain, should be the only criteria. I was told I was too young at first (I was around 54) and needed to wait until I was 65-68, but I told my (first) doctor that was a really lame criteria as my knee was keeping me from living my life. If I waited until I was 65, I'd have spent (at the time) 10-15 years (!!!!) in pain and sitting on the sidelines of life. Then at 65 or 70, I'd get a new knee, but by then I would not want to do as much as I do now. And my youngest granddaughter would be in college and I'd have missed out on her entire life. So what if I may need a revision in 20 years, at least I'd have lived all these years, and worry about a revision if needed. No one should be told to sit around for 10 or 20 years, in PAIN, then come see us. I think it may come from an old-school way of thinking, when the knees didn't last as long, maybe. If I get 20 years from this knee, I'll be 78 by then and if I'm still alive, will definitely be less active than at 58. If a doctor tells you you're too young, tell him/her this should be done on younger patients, if needed, to keep us active and fit. People who can't walk or move around have no life; are likely to become bored or unhappy and maybe even depressed, all of which usually lead to being overweight/obese. I fought to keep my weight down, but after my knee got totally painful, and I could do very little, I gained 30 or so lbs. I tried to stay under 1400 calories per day, but if you're basically sitting all the time, the weight creeps up on you even on a low calorie diet. I'd have likely stayed the same weight I originally was at 1200 calories per day, but I tried it and I was starving all the time. So I gained 30 or so lbs over a couple of years; can you imagine what I'd have weighed if I waited 6 or so more years? Ugh.......My new doctor bases his opinion of when to do it based on test results, pain levels and quality of life. All of which meant I needed a new knee. And when he did the procedure, he found my knee was worse than expected-it was totally bone on bone, instead of heading that way gradually as previously thought from x-rays and other surgical procedures. It went downhill really fast. I also changed my phone ringer to a new song just before the surgery-I have the song, "I hope you dance" as my ringtone. My biggest goal is dance lessons for hubby and me as soon as I'm able. :dancy::egypdance::happydance::spin::swim::biking::tennis2::bicycle1:
 
5 other people told me today that I was way too young for this.
What on earth do they know? So-called experts!

They do not know your knees nor the pain that you are in!

hey jumped nearly to the ceiling. After I told them what it was, they laughed for 15 minutes. Glad that needle wasn't in my arm yet!!! hahahaha I am sure my heart rate monitor was crazy!
:rotfl:
 
Talked to nurse and asked about shaving. She said that she had never heard OS tell a patient not to shave. Strange. It amazes me the difference in people's experiences.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Potassium level a tenth of a point low. Major doses of potassium for the next 6 days. Has to be above 3.0 and is at 2.9 I hate bananas
 
How Is your husband doing? Doesn't sound like you'll have to postpone the surgery. You're getting so close!


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
He is still very sore. Started pt today. He may have a ruptured disc in his upper spine. Hoping not to. May have to have company move in.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Had fries and apple juice tonight and added two more supplements to my pile.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Was thinking about that. May through out the food diary this week and just load the calorie with Gatorade


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
On another note- I'm so tired of this pain I could scream. How do you make it through having to be still and relax to heal? I cannot stand to be still.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
How do you make it through having to be still and relax to heal? I cannot stand to be still.
That one is easy---after your surgery, your arthritis pain will be all gone---you won't believe that you can take steps after surgery without much pain---and the surgical pain will be well-controlled.

The pain meds will also allow you to be drowsy, sleepy, and relaxed, so you can rest and take it easy.
 
Sorry to hear about your husband, I hope everything is ok with him, and you don't have to postpone as well. I would hate having to postpone at this point!!
 
Thanks spider. He told me not to. Just worries me! My 14 yo does not need to be in charge of both of us b


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
OS is concerned about potassium being 2.9 instead of above 3.0. Upped my supplements and eating lots of veggies! Ugh. Can't stand the thought of putting this off.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
msmechanic . my thoughts are the same as yours. I'm 56 and I don't understand the logic of waiting another 8-10 years. I told my OS that in 10 years I won't care... I need to walk now.

Ten top foods highest in Potassium are: White Beans, Spinach, Baked Potatoes with Skin, Dried Apricots, Acorn Squash, Yogurt (plain), Salmon, Avocados, White Mushrooms and the dreaded Bananas.

Maybe there's something there you hadn't thought of. All that came from the internet :)
 
Think I'll wash some dried northern beans and put them in the crock pot.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I get lunch from the school everyday. I think I shall have a baked potato. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom