Bilateral TKR in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wasn't prepared for the extensive bruising and swelling. Now I know what to expect. Hope for the best and prepare yourself for the worst.
 
I think preparing for the worst and hoping for the best is an excellent approach...to all aspects of the surgery and recovery....And life!
 
I'll be following you closely!! We are BTKR buddies - one day apart!!! :)
 
I had some bruising with the first and very minimal bruising with the second. I think I can honestly say I had more bruising from my arthroscopic surgeries….mostly from the tourniquet. Check out my scars….one is three inches and the other four inches. I don't think they look bad at all, and being 9 months and 7 months out, I find they are still fading.
 
You can barely see mine now unless you look. But they do look a bit nasty in the healing stage. All for a good cause.
 
Hi and welcome to Bonesmart!

I had my BTKR a year ago today. Congratulations on making a wise decision - one and DONE. I am a little curious as to why your OS is going to general anesthesia - around here (Lincoln NE) the usual thing is to have an epidural and Versed, though I did have general (long story).

Bruising is odd. My biggest bruise was on my ankle; maybe it knocked against something during the surgery? My sis had a big bruise on her thigh from the tourniquet…just see what you see when you wake up. My whole leg was definitely swollen a bit, the knees especially, but nothing alarming or unexpected.

Like everyone else - I was done with the walker at around a month, tops - went from walker to cane, never used crutches. I had a nice little bag on the walker so I could carry my hot tea (in a to-go cup), some crackers, a book, my meds, etc. Other household items I needed were a shower bench & hand-held shower and a "leash" to lift my legs up onto the bed (we have a very high bed), since leg-lifting just isn't an option in the first weeks after surgery. I didn't use a toilet booster, but most people do. I borrowed a kitchen stool so if I were, say, heating hot water or chopping an onion, I could sit if I wanted to.

The next year will seem very long at times. I remember lying in the hospital bed & wishing I could jump forward in time to when all the PT and icing were over…and here I am. Good luck!
j
 
We haven't talked about type of anesthesia yet but I have trouble even with epidurals. I go a week from Monday to find out specifics.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I had spinal for mine---the anesthesiologist was awesome! The last thing that I remember was being told, "You are going to feel a little drowsy now..." The next thing that I know, I was being wheeled into recovery.

Talk to your OS and perhaps his favorite anesthesiologist about your issues with an epidural. Some folks on the forum had generals and were also very happy with them, too.
 
I had general w/femoral blocks for my surgery and it went very well. I had IV Dilaudid for pain afterwards with a pain pump (I have a lot of allergies to pain meds, too!). I definitely used my walker for the first couple of weeks at home - it helped tremendously getting up and down!! AND - don't underestimate the amount of upper body strength needed - holy moly, I have truly built up some biceps and working on a six pack now!

After surgery, I literally had zero bruising - definitely swelling in my knees, but never got the painful bruising you seen in the pictures. My incisions look AWESOME - my OS used glue rather than sutures or staples, so I just have thin lines, the bottom part is already fading really nicely. I haven't hesitated to wear shorts or dresses, and I'm definitely not put off by them. As said, they're badges of honor - we go through a lot to get them, then go through even more AFTER having them!!
 
Thank you for these posts!!! Today's stress is my parents want to come stay. Our house in only 2 bedroom and she frustrates me with her negativity. I cannot get away from her easily I don't think. Aaaaahghhhggg


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Our house in only 2 bedroom and she frustrates me with her negativity.
I am not going to even attempt to tell you what to do---but I will tell you this, after your BTKR, you do not need negativity----you need to surround yourself with positive people (like us!) You need to have positive folks and "vibes" to help you in those early days of recovery.
 
Okay, this is lesson #1 for your recovery - you need to think of YOU - not everyone else. Certainly, now is not the time to be around a Negative Nelly. If you're not up to it, let them know - if you need to pad it a bit by saying they can come later on, no harm no foul. BUT, be forewarned - depression after surgery is a reality. You'll already have days of just bursting into tears and feeling mighty low - it's pretty common. Now, do you want more negativity on top of that??
 
I don't want her here. I moved 500 miles away for a reason. I can't get her to understand that. I did tell her the pain meds make me short tempered so I have an excuse f tell her what I think.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@msmechanic58 I totally understand where you are coming from in regards to not wanting your mother to come and stay with you. I am going through the same situation. My parents want to come and help me out but I know I will not do well with them here. They have a very negative, arguing energy and I don't do well with it. It just leaves me stressed and with a lot of anxiety. I have to do what's best for me and what will work for me. It was tough, but I had to tell them that I didn't need them to come. And it had to come to the point of me telling them I didn't want them to come - I had a plan in place. Now the closer it gets to my surgery date I may have to stress that again. I would never tell you what to do, but as a friend advised me - stick to your plan and in this situation put you first and do what's best for you.
 
If your parents have to come make sure you have a recovery area set up so you can escape them! I really did not want to see anyone the first few weeks after surgery. As everyone has said taking care if you is the most important thing right now. Good luck!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
How do you get through the pain without the tylenol and advil for the last few weeks? Miserable! Was thinking heating pad but wonder if it will make swelling worse.
 
For me, it seemed the last few weeks before surgery my knees KNEW they were getting ready to be removed - I had A LOT of swelling, pain, stiffness. I modified my activity the best I could, was still able to take Tylenol as needed (per doctor), used elevation/icing, and would soak in a warm bath. You might want to try setting up the elevation per the guidelines here - it REALLY helps AND it'll get you in the swing of things for after your surgery :)
 
can you get a different pain reliever for prior to surgery? Im on Tramal, and Ive been told its ok to take up to surgery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I'll ask on Monday for something different. I teach prekindergarten and making it through the day has become difficult.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I elevate every chance I get. Was thinking heating pad might help. Or should I use ice? My knees are both bone on bone.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom