Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@msmechanic58 I was in the same situation as you, I had to tell my parents I didn't want them to come and stay with me after I got home from the hospital. I was dreading doing it. But I bit the bullet and called them and told them. I don't think I'm a selfish person and find it hard to put me first but in this case I have to. I know what is best for me. I will have enough physical and emotional stress with healing that I don't need the added stress of what my parents would add to it. Once I had that conversation a tremendous weight was lifted. Be firm in your resolve. Best wishes!
 
@msmechanic58 I was in the same situation as you, I had to tell my parents I didn't want them to come and stay with me after I got home from the hospital. I was dreading doing it. But I bit the bullet and called them and told them. I don't think I'm a selfish person and find it hard to put me first but in this case I have to. I know what is best for me. I will have enough physical and emotional stress with healing that I don't need the added stress of what my parents would add to it. Once I had that conversation a tremendous weight was lifted. Be firm in your resolve. Best wishes!


Thank you Midwest girl! I will call them tomorrow and ask Them to wait until June.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @msmechanic58, Wishing you good luck ahead of time. To tell you the truth, I had one knee done as the other has similar issues I did not have the thought of doing knee number 2 at this point and at any point right now. Still trying to get it together with one knee being done. I give those credit who do both at the same time. I had severe anxiety of prior to surgery and it did not settle down until I woke up post op. I have anxiety episodes any way but it was 10 times worse prior to surgery. It is a major operation and a long recovery with loads of PT afterwards to get through. So it is not easy. At least you are in this group prior to surgery so you can get the most information as you can. Good luck again with your upcoming surgery.
 
Hard issue with your mum there! I have a 'similar' issue, but I've been a bit lucky and dodged the bullet :). I lost my Dad about 6 months ago (after long illness), so my mum has been missing someone to care for. She actually started sounding excited about my operation, and how she'll need to know how to work all of my appliances, and what to do with animals etc etc. I will love her help, but full time would be awful - she will drive me nuts. My husband is taking 3 weeks leave when I get out of hospital, and although mum looked really disappointed - she can still help, but not be overbearing.
I'm with you about the pain at the moment - I understand that afterwards will be a hard road, I'm just looking forward to being on that road which seems much more positive than this one! I have bulged discs in my back and they are playing up big time due to the inability to use my knees. My back, combined with my knees is seeing me close to tears most nights as well. Its just horrible.
 
@Spider - I'm so sorry you area struggling. Hubby has degenerative disc disease so I have seen the pain that can cause. I wish you strength and patience.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I went to the dentist last week for a cleaning. She's mentioned having to take antibiotics for dentist appointments. Can anyone enlighten me on that?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I had to have three teeth pulled about a month before my surgery and did not need antibiotics. My OS did tell me he wants me to use antibiotics anytime I go to the dentist after the tkr. I believe there are differing views on this and if you do a search on BS you should find info. Then see what your OS recommends.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral TKR in May.
@msmechanic58, here's an article from the Library about this very thing: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

Don't forget to check out the Library Index----we have an article about just about everything :heehee:.
 
Thanks @boneshallow! For some reason the library overwhelms me. lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
My OS still wants me to take the antibiotics. I did not broach this study with him---and if he wants me to do it, so be it. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I was lucky---when I came home from the hospital after the BTKR, my wife was at work, so my Mom came over for about two-three hours---it helped her take part in my recovery, but the time was such that it did not burden either herself or me.
 
Ok. I made the call. Suggested they wait until June to come. My surgery is May 19th. That will give me 2-3 weeks to adjust to the pain levels. She was not thrilled and kept hinting my husband would not keep her informed as to how I was doing. :roll eyes: we shall see if she will listen.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
You did fine--have your husband call every day or every other day and let her know how you are doing---and then subtly slip in something about how it was very wise of her to stay away for a while. Let her understand that there is a natural transition period and that you need to go through that---with the pain meds, etc.

It is your health---not only physically during recovery, but also the emotional and psychological that is so important.

Let her know that once things get settled---pain meds, speed of recovery---ups and downs of the roller coaster ride of recovery, etc---she can come and be with you.

Recovery is your time!
 
Are we sisters?!! I had this same struggle with my mother before my THR. She sent me an email, announcing that she planned to stay with me for THREE MONTHS after my surgery. She is a Negative Nelly, with a strong drive to micromanage everyone around her. Absolutely not what I needed! I had to put my foot down and keep putting it down to keep her from trying to barge in and take over. It was a challenge, but very worth it so I could focus my energy on healing.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
We may be!!!! I'm hoping by June I can get around enough to get away for a few minutes. Like to the bathroom or bed. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
If you Mom is on email, have your husband send out a daily update. My son did that for my group of friends/family and they all expressed how much they liked hearing from him about how I was doing. It saved phone calls and emails to me that I just didn't have energy to respond to at that point.
 
I may or may not have been rude to someone today. I was waiting at the dentist office while hubby got his teeth cleaned. I has propped my legs up on the couch since it was only me on the long couch and 5 other chairs. A man and his wife came in and asked if there was room for everyone insinuating I was remiss in sitting this way. I said sure. Give me a minute to undo myself as I'm waiting on knee replacement surgery and was trying to keep them elevated to avoid the pain. He backed up and let me stay where I was and sat on the other end. I did scoot down as best I could and remain elevated. When my son had to come pull me up so I could stand, he realized I was not telling a story. So maybe rude...... But definitely standing up for myself. :-/


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
That's good practice for afterwards when it seems we get confronted with situations where we definitely have to speak up for ourselves. People often assume the worst and them thinking you were just being rude by having your legs propped up is typical, so it's good you let them know you had a good reason for sitting that way.
 
Pre-op and education class at 8:00 am on May 12th. Have to go to donate one pint of blood this week just in case.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like you handled it well--polite but also explaining your situation. And yeah while nobody else was there it was a good idea to elevate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom