Bilateral THR bilateral THR 10/22/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, today i blew off the gym,
decided to do something else today
YEAAAAAY!
[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
I know it's hard to really see what's going on, but i put the ol skates on and went out
onto the ice to see if i could stand up! before my surgery, and due to my
underlying cause of my hip problem SCFE, my toes pointed outward when i walked,
etc. I knew there would be an adjustment with my skates, but after the first
few seconds to get my legs under me, i was able to move around the rink ok.
Certianly not ready for any hockey game yet, but, with a little practice and some
more exercising at the gym it will come back. It felt GREAT to be back out there!!!
 
Oh, now I see your doc gave you the go ahead...fantastic!! Isn't it great to get back to what you love doing?
Very awesome:thumb:
 
very much so! i'll probably pay for it later, but that's ok, that's
a good pain when you use new muscles!
 
Thanks all! I really didn't do it too much, it never bothered me later in the day. this morning
i paid a visit to the gym, leg exercise machines, including the leg press! (haven't been able
to get on that machine due to the 90 degree precaution). then 20 mins on the recumbent bike.
I did 6 miles, lol, but certainly would rather have done a few miles outside! everything feels good,
although that abductor/adductor machine is a killer. i find it hard to get my legs spread very far
apart.
another oddity, as much walking as i do, it seems i am still having a hard getting my legs close
enough together, i almost feel like i'm walking bowlegged. I need to concentrate on my walking
every time i walk, but i did notice it's hard to stand up straight with my legs very close together yet,
maybe it's still a bit swollen in my thighs yet. i'll keep an eye on that.
 
Oh Dutch...how I envy you getting back to the gym. Do a circuit or two for me please.

The way you describe your walking reminds me of how a cowboy walks, and I think to myself, well isn't this the way our Dutch would be walking...kind of John Wayne 'ish.

You remember, if you are swelling, you should be icing! Preferably in a pack and not from falling while skating.
 
Dutch,

Excellent workout buddy!

Not sure if it's an oddity or just the way the healing goes. One of my precautions is to NOT bring my legs together. So I think that has something to do with stretching the muscles too soon. I can't remember what approach you had, so it may not be an issue for you... I can understand not getting them out too far because most of us are affected by abduction by virtue of the surgery. That will come in time. Kinda like learning new skills, it takes time for the muscles to stretch certain ways. In one weird way it's like some of the things we're used to be doing, we'll be starting at square one because of our new implants.
 
Back again, today is my 6 week anniversary! Had a good weekend, Saturday was spent with a morning
visit to the gym, then ran a bunch of errands, then drove down to help my son with a wiring project
in his house, out to dinner, then later in the evening out with friends for a few drinks. I have to say the
day was good, i did get a little tired towards the end, but that was ok! I can say it was a day where i
felt normal for the most part, didn't do any real hard work, but, was on the go all day. Other than being
tired, things were great! I spent sunday on the couch, we didn't have much to do, watched some football
on tv, but felt great.
Today, i figured i would head back to the rink for some more ice skating. I skated for about 45 minutes!
I am still weak (relative to my preop state) but, i can skate! I am planning on using the next 2 weeks for
some serious work, alternating days at the rink (M, W, F) and days at the gym, Tues, Thurs, Saturday.
I return to work the 17th, so I should be in good enough shape to handle that, and my goal is to start
playing hockey sometime after the 1st of January.
Last nite, i would say that I had my best sleep since i've been home, maybe awake a couple times, but
certainly not like it has been. I'm happy about that!
Here's a very short video clip a fellow skater took, just to show I did it!!! LOL
[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
So impressed! Keep up the fabulous job! You give the rest of us something to look forward to
 
:bicycle1: *we don't have a skating emoticon* Wow the flying Dutchman really moves! Great post Dutch! Isn't it wonderful to be able to get back to doing what you love without pain?! I love reading about BTHR success stories!
 
yes, it's great! it makes me feel like me again! but, i have to say, my skating skills are GONE!
it's like i'm 12 and i am starting to learn to skate again :( but, i will persevere! i plan on going
3 times a week! today, i felt a lot stronger than i did Friday, but, i just tried going backwards for
a minute, not good. I also could do the crossover turn in 1 direction, but not the other, I am NOT
going to force or rush that.
about that emoticon.......
 
[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
from 70 degrees yesterday to 30 today with snow!! UGHHHH
yesterday before my trip to the gym i was very stiff, just a touch of
soreness in 1 hip from my monday skate. i took on a project here
at the house, a basement closet that hadn't been finished. i went to
the store to get shelving for it, but had to paint the closet before i could install it.
the hard part was the bottom of the wall where the baseboard goes,
i had to bend over to reach down and wow that was killer on my back
this morning! but, today i went down to install the shelving, had it
done in about 2 hrs, but missed my ice skating time :( I will consider
that my PT for today, up and down the stairs half a dozen times, bending/kneeling
to install the lower shelves i put in, so it's all good. i think i'm going chill
the rest of the day.
I have been sleeping much better. I stopped the aspirin and I'm down to
just 1 iron pill during the day, so maybe not taking all that stuff at nite is
helping me sleep. of course, sunday and monday nite football games had
me up till almost midnight this week!
I have a dentist appt tomorrow, check up and cleaning, so i have a mega
dose of antibiotics to take before i go.
 
I just saw the video you posted Monday---looking good, Dutch!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom