Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR bilateral THR 10/22/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am scheduled for a bilateral THR in February. You are giving me hope. Thanks a million.
 
12 week anniversary today!
i really really wanted to be playing hockey by now :(

i'm not, but i'm busy at work and my body isn't bothering me. went to the gym a few days last week,
and again tonight after work and getting stronger. tonight i rode the stationary bike in "hills" mode,
which was the first time I tried to really push myself a bit aerobically. I was able to ride it at
level 6, maintained a good rpm, and on the "hill" parts of the workout i bumped the resistance to
level 8. in 30 mins i did just under 8 miles, and watched my pulse break 130 during the hills, which
was a decent workout. after the bike i did the leg exercises and i am making gains on the leg
extension machine, both quad and hamstring modes (110 lbs/90 lbs), and those adductor/abductor, ugh,,
the leg press was ok too. (220 lbs on that machine). so i feel good, stronger all the time,
balance seems good along with mobility, up/down stairs at work no problem, several times a day.

as mentioned before there is a nagging pain in my right hip/pelvis. i have a few family events coming up
in the next couple weeks, after that i'll call OS if no improvement.

i'm dying to get back on skates, haven't tried them since before that foot procedure just before
christmas.

no more meds, stopped the tylenol PM 2 weeks ago, and sleeping pretty good.
now it's on to weight loss and conditioning, and , skating very soon i hope.

Josephine i have a question. earlier in my thread i posted my xrays. if one looks close
you can see that in my right side acetabular component, one screw looks to protrude
through the pelvis, into what I'm not sure! Would you think it to be a concern?
If i had to guess where my pain is coming from, it's in or around that part of the
pelvis, not the femur. this pain isn't prohibiting me from doing anything really, but
it isn't getting better either.
 
You mean this? It's easy to forget (or not even know) that there are layers of periosteum and other tissue on the outside of a bone. It's not sticking out anything like it looks.

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
Thanks Josephine, i won't give that another thought.
it's just coincidence that the right side is giving me some
trouble, while the left, (with a totally different angle of the screws)
is not giving me a lick of trouble.
i really didn't think that was the problem.
 
I'm starting to rethink things. Might side has been bugging me, last nite in bed it was worse,
almost like a nerve or something was being pinched, as this sensation went down my leg. At one point
i moved and it got better, and a short while later it went back to hurting. I'm going to pay more attention
to this and see if i can see what makes things irritated. maybe a nerve is being bothered
by something in there?

now onto something more bothersome for me. for the past few weeks i have been having back pain,
especially when i get out of bed (and sometimes pretty bad).
20 years ago i had a bad back, that would go out occasionally,
but in the past 10 years not so much. Prior to surgery i was in fairly good condition, playing hockey twice a week,
and things felt good in that regard, with rarely any back issues. this morning after i showered, i looked in the mirror,
with a little lingering pain in my back, and, noticed a huge pelvic tilt. well, huge to me!
so i called my SO in to look at me, from back and front, and sure enough, it looks like
i have a prominent LLD. UGH. I stood on something about 3/4 inch thick
and it seemed made things level out better.
So now i think that this may be what's been going on with my back, and who knows what else.
My reading here tells me to not get so worried, yet, as i'm only 12 weeks. But, then again,
I am 12 weeks! physically i feel very good, energy level is good, stamina is good, getting some
good workouts in the gym on the bike, so it's not like i'm impaired by anything. but i have to
admit, i am concerned about this LLD and since I was BILAT is it more of a mistake on the
OS part than my own physiology?
i know it's hard to measure, but are there ways to measure the legs? i remember a doctor
doing it when i was 13 and was going thru the original hip issues that required the pinning.
:what:
 
have to post another picture from the rink. got on the skates last nite for
the first time since before the foot surgery just before Christmas. they felt good,
especially with that foot issue fixed! but it was very crowded and we had some
family with us, so it was more about them. here's a pic of me trying to start out
the little guy on skates. (a little too young to realize what was going on still though)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
    firstskate.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 186
no, he is my SO's grandson, they lived with us until last month and
have their own place now. he turned 2 a week before Christmas.
he is quite a little cutie.
 
Great picture! I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well and having a chance to get back on the ice :) :goodpost:
 
Dutch, sorry I've been so remiss in getting in to read your thread. I'm glad to hear that your foot is better. I can't remember which side it was. Do you think that favoring your foot had any impact on your right hip? So when do you go back to visit your OS again? I remember when PT was coming to the house and he could tell that there was a LLD going on just by how I was standing at the counter. When I stood on the unoperated leg, my operated leg was bent. When I stood on the op leg the un op could swing thru not touching the floor. It has gotten much better since then. You've had twice the trauma, so it is probbably going to take longer to even out. Give it a little lknger then get it checked out. You don't want it mesing with your back long term.

Feel better friend!
 
Hi Dutch

My OS asked me at the four week post appointment if my LLD was bothering me.. I didn't even know I had one.. Then I started to think about it and watch the wear on the soles of my shoes, but they look pretty even to me, and at 14 months plus if it was significant it doesn't bother me.

I didn't read back through your thread, so what was your foot problem and has it settled?

Love your photo.. What a cutie :)
 
Dutch, sorry I've been so remiss in getting in to read your thread. I'm glad to hear that your foot is better. I can't remember which side it was. Do you think that favoring your foot had any impact on your right hip? So when do you go back to visit your OS again? I remember when PT was coming to the house and he could tell that there was a LLD going on just by how I was standing at the counter. When I stood on the unoperated leg, my operated leg was bent. When I stood on the op leg the un op could swing thru not touching the floor. It has gotten much better since then. You've had twice the trauma, so it is probbably going to take longer to even out. Give it a little lknger then get it checked out. You don't want it mesing with your back long term.

Feel better friend!

Dede i guess it's possible that i was favoring that foot. but as of now the right hip can ache a bit,
but, i'm still in wait and see mode. it isn't getting worse, and it's odd that it will hurt as i stand up
and put weight on it, but after a few steps it seems ok.

the back issue is getting better, if i had to guess i'd say it was a slight disc problem, and learning what
not to do to irritate it helps. after a few days it gets better, until i do something to aggravate it, so i have
been taking it easy. losing a bit of this extra weight will help also!
i even think that when my back was so sore i had some big time muscle spasms going on pulling my
pelvis crooked, which made me think it was LLD, because now that the back isn't so bad, the leg length
seem better, i don't have that crooked pelvis!
 
Hi Dutch

My OS asked me at the four week post appointment if my LLD was bothering me.. I didn't even know I had one.. Then I started to think about it and watch the wear on the soles of my shoes, but they look pretty even to me, and at 14 months plus if it was significant it doesn't bother me.

I didn't read back through your thread, so what was your foot problem and has it settled?

Love your photo.. What a cutie :)

Thanks Poppet,
i had "morton's neuroma" in my left foot, which is basically a piece of nerve that gets pinched between
the toe bones that hurt like HECK! I had surgery the 19th of dec to remove that bit of nerve, spent
2 weeks in one of those open shoe because of all the bandages, and now it's totally better. It was
nice putting on the skates and not having to worry if that nerve was going to be pinched or not.

I skated by myself yesterday on my lunch, only had about 25 mins, but it felt pretty good.
i have gained some strength back since was skating last before christmas, and there are thoughts of
trying to play hockey again creeping back into my head!
 
Glad you are doing well, hope the back and right hip straighten themselves out some more. Must be good to be on the ice again
 
Dutch, it sounds like you're doing better :yay: Must be all of the snow you're moving around! Just another example of how everything is so connected and one tweak of your back affects our hips, yada, yada, yada. Can't believe we feel so 'old' at our age!

Glad you got out in the rink!

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
Hey Dutch, how is the foot feeling now that you have been lacing on those skates?
 
Tammy the foot feels great! so glad that is a thing of the past.

i am considering going to play hockey tomorrow nite with the guys,
and i will just have to take it easy and realize i won't be able to
get around the way i used to at first. but, i want to try
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom