Bilateral THR bilateral THR 10/22/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have fun! Isn't it wonderful to have your life back?
 
Our group of guys playing hockey is mostly made up of a bunch of us that have
played together for over 20 years. Most over 50. But, we always have a bunch of
younger generation that are welcome, and last nite we had about 6 or7 20 somethings
play with us which makes the game a lot different in terms of speed and skill. (most of these
kids played thru high school and continue in college). Needless to say, i wasn't much of
an impact player last nite, but that wasn't really important to me. I did play for the whole
hour(not nonstop as we do have subs on each team) but, i made it.:happydance: I find i'm slow, weak,
and have a hard time changing direction quickly. But, I played and it felt great to be back
out there trying!:yes!: I have a lot of work to do, but, i have access to this group twice a week,
and others in between if i feel up to it. For now, i'm going to stick to twice a week, and in
between try to get some extra ice time just skating in open skate.

the hips did ok, i did have that nagging right side pain again, but this morning i can't
say it's worse or bothering me so it's back to wait and see how that goes.
One thing about hockey, you get to carry a stick which makes a great aid for balance! :egypdance:

That's the report for now. I think if I count correctly i was 15 weeks on Monday, wow has
time flown the past month or so!
 
Wonderful!! It will just get better and better from now on. Just remember, your expertise and strategy will trump those 20 somethings with their energy. I'm so happy for you!

I'm finding that I forget all about my hip very often now---walking on a trail with a group of people last week, I stopped to take a picture and caught myself jogging to catch up, suddenly realizing "this does not hurt! hooray!"

But I still can over do it, and I think it is the weekend warrior effect, when about once every week or 10 days I go out hiking by myself and go farther than I should. Then I get the aches a little, and I'm not too proud to throw some ice on when I get home, but haven't needed any pain meds in a long, long time. I took ibuprofen 200mg for a slight headache on Christmas day---nothing since.
 
Wonderful!! It will just get better and better from now on. Just remember, your expertise and strategy will trump those 20 somethings with their energy. I'm so happy for you!

I'm finding that I forget all about my hip very often now---walking on a trail with a group of people last week, I stopped to take a picture and caught myself jogging to catch up, suddenly realizing "this does not hurt! hooray!"

But I still can over do it, and I think it is the weekend warrior effect, when about once every week or 10 days I go out hiking by myself and go farther than I should. Then I get the aches a little, and I'm not too proud to throw some ice on when I get home, but haven't needed any pain meds in a long, long time. I took ibuprofen 200mg for a slight headache on Christmas day---nothing since.

Sissy how far of a hike for you makes it too far , or overdoing it?
i have found myself taking a few quick steps, like to run up to open a door
for somebody, or if it's cold, and i quickly realize i am not supposed to
be running or putting that type of impact on my hips. It has not bothered
me to do that though, i just have to be more careful and try to catch
myself before i do it!
 
Dutch, that would be about 6 or 7 miles. Before surgery, I couldn't walk half a block without stopping.

Several things happening here, I think. First, I'm only hiking every 7-10 days or so, and in between not walking all that much. A mile or mile and a half on the treadmill a couple of times a week, and then just with living---not going out and walking for exercise around the neighborhood. So it is that weekend warrior thing.

Additionally, when I hike that far, my left knee and my back are limiting me more than my hip.

I think I just have to accept the fact that 5 mile hikes are about what I'm going to be able to enjoy---and be grateful that I'm able to do that. I sure am not going to push it, because I won't have back surgery, and I don't want a knee replacement any time soon.

Running for exercise isn't in my future plans, either, but it is nice to know I could run a short distance if my life depended on it:SUNsmile:
 
wow, 6-7 miles, i can't imagine walking that far! new hips
or not!
been a long long time since i walked or hiked like that, if ever.
no wonder you get a little screaming from your body!
 
Dutch, I did gradually build up to this. I started when I was about 3 weeks post-op, going to the park where I volunteer, and walking on the trails, always using one trekking pole.

You guys that had both hips replaced are my heroes. I can't imagine. And then skating, too, let alone playing hockey. I'm chicken! I would be so afraid of falling and messing up my hip. I didn't even ride my bike as early as I could have ---he said 4 weeks, but I waited till 5. I was nervous about riding, but not about kayaking. Of course as soon as I hopped on the bike, I was fine, and that has turned out to be the best exercise I do for my hip. Both stationary and real bike.
 
yes, i still do the stationary bike, snow/ice here now! i have not walked much lately though,
just normal stuff or out shopping, and it's good that it doesn't bother me, but not sure how
far i could walk, wasn't really ever my thing.
now come springtime, my motorcycle will be getting much more mileage this year!
it hurt to ride an distance the last couple years.
starting to look at vacation plans for Sanibel also! thinking early November again, maybe a
whole week of nothing but laying and walking on the beach!
 
Ha, Dutch! Congrats on your hockey night out! Don't worry, your speed and agility will come with your new found confidence. It will continue to get better and you'll definitely show the new dogs a thing or two in no time! Three of my nephews played hockey through HS and the oldest still goes out every once in a while with his hockey buddies. His 3yo had a baby hockey stick in his hands when he was a few months old. I'm guessing his dad wants him to play a little bit!
 
They call it a "snow moon" tonight, took a couple pictures as it was coming up!

I haven't been back here in my own thread in weeks, so i thought i'd post an update.
I am 4 mos, or 16-17 weeks now, hard to keep count. I am pretty much back to
life as i knew it, working with no issues, (but not all that busy right now). I am
skating twice a week with the guys playing hockey, although that's still slow going
for me compared to my past level of play, but, i'm playing. I have not been to the gym
in 2-3 weeks now, but with hockey twice a week, and what other walking i'm doing
i don't feel it's all that terrible. tonight after work it was calm, not terribly cold, so me
and SO walked down the road and back before dinner. it is quite a hill, all downhill
at first, which means all uphill on the way back! but it was a piece of cake, i would say
i got a slight bit winded, and SO was more winded than me! I am walking with longer
strides now, and she isn't waiting on me any more!
I have an occasional right hip pain, but, it has improved in the past couple weeks. I
don't want to say it's because i stopped going to the gym, but, maybe i was overdoing
things while i was going. It gets more stiff than the left side, and when i do heavy work
bending over to the ground i feel it the most. (dragging heavy things or lifting etc).
but, it's lessening as time goes on, which is going in the right direction.
The swelling may finally be just about gone! I don't notice those saddlebags that
were there just below my waist near the backside when i look in the mirror. I am
still up in weight from where i want to be, but being much more conscious of what
i eat, and drink, and i'm losing some slowly. I'd like to lose 20 lbs by summer.

So, in a nutshell, things are good.:thumb: I can't say that I forget about the BTHR very often,
but it doesn't consume my day in any way. I can sit for an hour or longer at work sometimes,
and the initial standing has me stiff, first few steps to get going then all is great. During the
walk tonight, probably a quick mile, there was no issues, no pain, and now after i can say there
are no ill affects, don't feel sore/stiff or anything.
 
[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12 [Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
Great report, Dutch! My experience has been that the "start up" stiffness when first standing up and starting to walk gradually fades away.
I'm so glad you're enjoying your hockey.
Sanibel beckons:SUNsmile:
 
"Sanibel beckons:SUNsmile:"

I hear it! Been looking at November reservations.
What'd you think of my moon shot Sissy? it was beautiful
last nite!
 
Beautiful moon shot! I especially like the way the one on the right is framed. We had clouds last night, so no moon, and today is dark and gusty and a little bit of rain---not enough, so far.

I'm thinking the first or second week of October for Sanibel, as the place I stay still has late summer rates through then. Wildlife Drive at Ding Darling should be open by the first of October. November is good, too, a quiet time of year for the island.
 
i was experimenting with different settings with the camera, it's a
point and shoot nikon coolpix, AW100 16mp. the 2nd shot was much
better, using dusk/dawn setting. i don't think there's any way i could
actually use this camera to focus on the moon itself with any detail,
it's too bright.
 
Hey Dutch, how's the hockey coming along? I'm guessing you had another run with the snowmobiles in the last week or so. Post if you can break away from all the things you've got going on..
 
Yes, Dutch, inquiring minds want to know: whatcha upto?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom