Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR bilateral THR 10/22/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, and we scheduled our vacation, Nov 5-13,
sanibel island, can't wait to walk the beach!!!!
 
Dutch,
Great pictures looks like your project is looking great thanks for sharing. You are doing amazing well and deserve that wonderful vacation and walking the beaches. When that times comes enjoy every minute of it with those fantasic hips of yours...LOL
 
[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12 cnydutch, I see that super builder has been at it som more----GREAT JOB!!!! Are you planning to stain the deck and new steps (they are very impressive, byw)? Landscaping is coming along nicely, too. Great hips make such a difference, don't they?
 
Judy yes, we still have to build the railings and stain the deck and new stairs.
we haven't fully decided on what color yet, were thinking a dark brown that matches
the patio furniture, but not sure now
i still have a bit of finish work to do, the top layer on the wall isn't finished, and there
are lights to be added when i do finish that wall cap.

we did have a party sunday with some out of town guests, all loved the patio,
but nobody had seen it before so it's not "new" to them.

yesterday we took the day off work to spend with the out of town family, spent
the day in the finger lakes area, visited a bunch of wineries, and ended up at
Watkins Glen State park, and walked part way up the gorge, although nobody was
really prepared for that type of hike!
i wish i had brought a better camera, but here are some pictures from my cell phone:

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12
 
Hi Dutch! Thanks for tagging me. Yes, I still check in---our Cookie42 is heading back to OR for a second hip soon. I just saw that you've booked Sanibel for November. That's a great time to go. I haven't made any plans yet. Still waiting to see when Ding Darling will reopen. It was supposed to be October 1, but then they started the repaving a couple of weeks later than expected. I am making some interesting south Florida plans for early next year; a stay in a bungalow in the 'glades, and camping at Kissimmee Prairie State Park. Also planning a 6 day kayak trip in March:SUNsmile:

Those are great pictures of the gorge, all that falling water. I haven't seen anything like that in a long time. You do live in a beautiful part of the country, too.

Your patio looks great, and I can imagine that was a lot of work.

I'm so glad you are doing so well. I am, too. Enjoying the Florida summer, early morning kayaking or bike riding, lazing around in the afternoon heat. My hip is totally normal, feels just like the original before it went bad.
 
10 months today!
wow has time flown by the past 6 months, with work being so busy april/june and
the patio project, and the weather has been quite different for our area.
but today is my 10 month anniversary of my surgery, and as summer progresses
i am constantly thinking to myself "what would i have done last summer if I had tried
to do this?"
The patio project, no way would I have tried. Our trip to the harbor festival in July
was full of walking, probably 4 miles that saturday, couldn't have enjoyed it last year
if i had gone. General yard work, home maintenance, are all done without the fear
that i'd be up all nite in pain paying for it.
Hockey is fun again, still working on getting in better shape, trying to gain some
speed back that i've lost. but it's fun to play again and not hurt!

do i think about my new parts? all the time, i'm not one that can "forget" about it.
I have a slight twinge in my right side, that happens after deep bends, or moving someting
heavy that is low to the ground. but overall i feel great and can say there is nothing I
can't do, that I normally would want to do.

when we walk, there has been this change over the past few years. Just a few years ago
i'd walk faster than my SO, she'd remind me her legs weren't as long as mine. As the hips got worse,
that changed, and i was the one lagging behind if we were shopping. Now, it's swung back
the other way, I need to not walk so fast with her as she is a bit shorter than me!

We're looking forward to a vacation to florida in November! my present to me just after my 1 year anniversary
of the new hips.
 
Hi there cnydutch. How I envy your trips and walking at Watkins Glen SP. I can hardly wait! I am at the present time a lift chair jockey just dreaming about such things. Back before my hubby & I got married we camped out and hike trails in up state NY & NJ every weekend. (I am a Long Island girl). How I miss those days, right now I would settle for a little walk on the boardwalk and an ice cream cone. ....Sigh.... but I know good things will be coming in due time, one day at a time!
Enjoy! You have earned it :)
 
Great update - well done on getting your life back! Enjoy Florida!
 
Terrific update, Dutch! I'm glad you are doing so well. I also think about my new hip often, especially as I'm walking and feel absolutely nothing strange at all. Remembering how miserable I was this time last year, I am just so grateful.

I think Disney should make a new commercial:

Announcer: Congratulations, Bonesmartie! Now that you have your new hip, what's next?
Bonesmartie: I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!

You, Graham, and Sharon all heading this way this Fall. Who else?
Are you going straight to Sanibel, or will you be stopping in Orlando to pay a visit to the Mouse?
 
Sissy we fly into Ft. Myers, rent a car and had to Sanibel!
Just me and her and we are both looking forward to a week
of true vacation. Usually we tie this trip into a training event for
my work, but not this time, 1 whole week at the Island Inn, with
nothing to do but walk the beach, maybe bicycle around a little, and
maybe we'll head into Ft Myers for a little night life one night.
I will miss the Gator club at Sarasota, my most favorite club, but
it's all good.

we may have to plan a Disney trip in a few years, my son is
expecting their first in a couple weeks, and we already have the 3 yr old
from her daughter, so,, might have to take some grandkids down to see
mickey in the future.
 
I have passed my 1 year anniversary and wanted to post an update, the only problem is
there really isn't much to post!! that is a good thing, because life is good, and life is
busy, and other than a pretty bad sprained ankle (2 weeks ago) i'm not in any pain, and i have been
able to live life as normal.
As I think back, it really is hard to remember what it was like before surgery, yes it was
uncomfortable, and yes, i had to take meds, but now that it's all ancient history, it is
a faded memory.
We had a full summer, large landscape project, 2 different trips with the camper,
step daughter's wedding in Sept, my son's wife gave birth to my granddaughter also
in Sept. So there has been plenty to keep us busy, although I feel like summer slipped
away on us. We had a pretty rainy start and I don't feel as though we had enough
R&R time early on.
Next week, it's off to Florida for a week of R&R! no work meetings, no alarm clocks, and
best of all, no Pain! we plan on walking and biking around Sanibel island and are hoping
for some nice weather, as winter is starting to show it's ugly head around here!

anyway, that's it, 1 year past, thanks to everybody here for the encouragement,
support, and help through it all. It truly is a great place to spend time when faced
with these types of issues.

oh, my OS appt was 2 weeks ago, he basically said the xrays look good,
have a good life, stay in shape, and call him if any problems come up. pretty
boring i guess

:bicycle1:
 
I think it is FABULOUS!!!! What we all hope for. :)
 
Sanibel - love it! I am so jealous! Enjoy!
 
So exciting about project

Update about sanibel island. Please check their community website and recent news article. Earlier this summer there were issues with excessive drainage of Lake O totally upsetting the ecological balance of the water and wildlife.

I live in Florida and we visited there in early July..so very disappointed...

Heads up so if situation has not cleared you consider it..

[Bonesmart.org] bilateral THR 10/22/12






Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks 2005- present
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004

My story: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1st-tkr-surgery-veteran-new-to-tkr.21772/
 
"Not much to post" is a good thing! I'm glad you are doing so well.
I believe Sanibel is back to having beautiful water again, and Ding Darling has reopened. This is a great time of year to visit. I'd be jealous except I'll be on the Suwannee River next week.
 
thanks all
sissy46 long time no see! glad you are doing well!
we hope to spend a lot of time on the beach! praying for
nice weather.
 
AWESOME!!! I was wondering when I'd see youre thread.Great news.Happy anniversart and relax in Florida.Peace
 
cnydutch there's nothing boring about such a fine recovery! And it sure does not sound like you're being bored at all with such wonderful activities going on! Enjoy your vacation at Sanibel
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom