Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

I saw the consultant today for my 6/7 week appointment. Told him the new one was great and the only real problem had been swelling of the ankle and foot but that had gone down now. BUT my old hip was extremely painful and I thought was delaying full recovery of the new one. He looked unsurprised and a gentle tweak of that leg,a quick look at the Xrays and he totally agreed. So I'm on the waiting list although unlikely to be seen before the New Year. He thought as the new hip got stronger it should take some of the pressure off the old one. Can take ibuprofen and no restrictions now on new hip. So I'll try to be less cautious although sensible about trying new things.
Had 3 terrible nights in a row - not dropping off then waking after a couple of hours - so I'm hoping I'll be more relaxed knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel and also a better regime of painkillers will get me through.
Watch this space...:prayer:
 
Sorry to hear the news about your other hip.
It's an all too familiar story here, as I'm sure you've noticed.
Wishing you some sound restorative sleep and maybe a good nap here and there.
Hang in there, it's still early into your recovery. Lots of healing to happen.
Hope today is a good one!
@bickypeg
 
There are lots of double hippie club members here. Hope your wait for that second THR isn't too long. Please keep us updated.
 
I got my appointment for Joint School for December 4th today! So excited! It was only 5 weeks after JS that I had the first hip done. I was so worried I'd be kept waiting for months and months like last time. And Christmas goodies are already in the shops here so it can't be very far away!
Still not sleeping well and no stamina for going far but played with the granddaughter all day yesterday and had a short walk in the park and fed the ducks the day before. I'd like to walk more but best to listen to what my legs are saying.
 
Hi @bickypeg
Wondering if you have your surgery date yet? If so, please leave it here to be added to your signature.

Christmas items on shelves already?!! Wow. Just think how strong you'll be feeling by then.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
 
I'm still not sleeping properly. Despite being told no more precautions by the consultant I seem unable to get on my side comfortably. Feel as though my new memory foam mattress is swallowing me and I haven't the energy to move. Ibuprofen seems to make me sleep more deeply in short bursts but then I wake with a dry mouth, drink lots of water and need the loo...nasty dreams too. Also getting warm pink feet. (Never Google strange symptoms as you'll be convinced you're seriously ill) Grey drizzly morning and dark until late and obviously autumn is set in. Oh woe is me!
All little problems compared with arthritic pain (though still have that in right leg) but it's great being able to get on here and offload.
Did anyone from the UK do the Manchester University's Cloudy with a Chance of Pain smartphone survey? Final results on effect of weather on arthritis should be out soon. Should be interesting.
 
That sounds interesting. Can you post the link?

Sorry to hear about the sleeping issues. I can manage on my non op side now with two pillows between my legs and normally wake up about 5am, drink water go to the loo and then sleep on my back for a bit. My sleepphones and headband are a godsend as I drift off to radio 4 plays and they help me relax - apart from when they have annoying music!

I have only been sleeping like this the past two-three weeks and still too painful in the op side but it will come...

Hope the same for you very soon!
 
Oh thank you. I keep meaning to try pillows between the legs. I listened to Michael Palin in the Sahara which was very soothing but I got out of the habit and the OH also used to make me a flask of camomile tea which I got tired of. Time to revisit the old sleeping props I think. I had a spell of refusing to behave like an invalid any more and also got rid of a useful ittle table because I decided it made the sitting room look like an old people's home. What a silly. I am an invalid!
Hope the links are useful. I think there's only been preliminary findings so far. [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
 
I usually see the dental hygienist every 3 months or so as I have horrible English teeth and last time she said check with the consultant before your next appointment because of the risk of infection. I forgot, although he said at 7 weeks that I needn't take further precautions. Just rang his secretary and she said after 8 weeks 'you should be all right'. Hmm.Should I wait a little longer?
 
You sound the same as me @bickypeg - we had our front room full of useful little bits and pieces to make recovery easier, and I got rid of the side tables, etc., a couple of weeks ago so that I didn't feel so like an invalid - I quite miss them! Same, also, on the hot feet - mine are easing up a bit now, but my feet felt as though they were burning by the end of the day. I don't know if it's something to do with circulation?
 
Oh brilliant! Thanks @Cassidy So nice to be reassured on here that one's weird symptoms are not unique!
Wide awake at 2.00a.m. but not uncomfortable so just had a cup of tea and listened to Tony Hawks travelling round Ireland with a fridge.. not so entertaining that I couldn't drop off eventually.
Ventured into town for the first time this morning.Travelling in the car is great now but going round M&S was tedious. Have I lost my taste for clothes shopping!!? And I'm very aware now that big stores do not cater for the elderly and disabled at all! Discussed this with a very old lady as we perched precariously on flimsy plastic chairs waiting for our transport. It's been a real eye opener.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Re: the dentist...I'd do what your OS and dentist advise since protocol varies from doctor to doctor.
I hope you're doing well and your other hip isn't bothering you too much.
Can you believe it two months already? Time sure flies. I hope you have a great day!
@bickypeg
 
Looking back at long years of pain and discomfort it's hard to believe that it can all be sorted by a short operation lasting an hour or two. Amazing hospital, caring cheerful staff, and all free! We must look after our NHS!
Worst things after 6 days have been constipation and sleeping on my back. I still get very tired but even that is partly the drugs (codeine, paracetamol). On 2 sticks now with trepidation but physio said I should. I realise there'll be ups and downs but I can't wait until I get the other hip done. I was so foolish to put off the operation.

@bickypeg, I had my right hip done 7/30, left yesterday.

It is indeed amazing, how much one's life can be transformed by a same-day procedure. I felt that I was a bit crabby today at the hospital, but mostly I was constantly thanking everybody. So many parts to this procedure, so many different skills involved.

I am all in favor of whatever pain meds one needs. I did notice that after I stopped taking the nighttime oxy, I had a few days of being super weepy. I know there are many reasons this could happen after major surgery, but in my case I felt the timing was not coincidental. The other side of the coin has been a recurring feeling of well-being and kind of a budding energy that comes upon me out of nowhere.
 
@bickypeg re your other hip.....take it from me. Sooner rather than later. I waited too long on both and regret it now because I lost so much time due to inability to be mobile from all the pain. I was wrong to wait for the first, which was a year after bone on bone diagnosis. The second I tried to get earlier but my surgeons dance card was full so I had that extra 45 day wait...well 46 with the changed date but who's counting?! :)
Wishing you relief for both sides and your new pain free life to take hold.
 
Had a dreadful painful night again listening to the wind 'wuthering' down the chimney. Up to a foul wet morning and feeling very low in spirits after a lovely busy week with outings or baby visits at least once a day. Kept falling asleep on the sofa and finally woke very disorientated, feeling odd, slightly blurred vision, not quite faint but almost faint. So frightening. Oddly enough hips feeling comfortable. Read back through my posts and realised it was similar to a 'turn' I'd had weeks ago. That turned out to be nothing and hoping this was just another of those random blips that's par for the course for the post operative me. I get so ridiculously frightened though - a stroke? pills overdose?low blood pressure? Too much time to think about my symptoms.I was also worried about son's gf who had breast lump exploration this morning- all was well thank goodness.
It was so useful looking back through my old posts and seeing my ups and downs and BS kind responses to them. I must stop thinking because it's 9 weeks I should be doing this and that. This is my recovery no one else's! Roll on 2019 for my new hip though! :scare:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom