Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

It's funny you should mention low spirits and feeling anxious along with the windy times. I am aways anxious when it is very windy. We have had some very windy days here recently and I am so "on edge". Maybe the wind and then everything else on your mind just got you off to a bad start today.

I hope you can relax this evening and do something you enjoy!
 
Oh thank you! What a lovely thought! I think especially arthritic patients are more affected by weather than we realise. Last time I felt odd it had been very close and thundery all day. I remember when I used to work at a primary school how wild and unruly the children were when it was windy! A bit like horses!
I shall watch some nice undemanding comedies I think. Hoping OH will make me a nice cheese omelette.
 
Hi Bickypeg!

Hope it is going well. Pouring with rain in Surrey and cold too. Ugh!

Re venturing outside and disabled provision thought you would like this story. I posted it on Joe Knows page too to give him a laugh!

Socialising is exhausting but fun. However I learnt the hard way that I need to get up and stretch and walk around a bit during dinners that are likely to go in for 1.5 hours. Butcam grateful for friends and hubby who are determined to distract me with a social life.

I think I am experienced enough to write a guide on food combined with where the best disabled loos are! Top of the list is the Loch Fyne fish chain which has a high loo seat, a hook for one’s bag, and, get this, Molton Brown toileteries.

However I got the shock of my life when I walked into one a few weeks ago to find the door unlocked and a “perfectly healthy Male” with his pants around his ankles washing his bits. I nearly fell off my crutches in surprise.

I shut the door to the offending sight (he was in no state to do so) and waited and waited...and crossing legs at this point would have been a BAD IDEA and against the restrictions! ... in the end I hammered on the door loudly and with a very clipped British exclaimed “Excuse me!”

... he came out, towering over me and looking rather cross , zipper pulled up (The first thing I checked ) and hands aggressively on hips. I took a deep breath and said “did he realise this toilet was for the disabled”

Apparently he hadn’t.... he then said “there weren’t any others”.... I pointed to the door next door with a large Man icon. He looked suitable abashed and murmured an apology.

So, men I have a question. “does the Urgent Call of Nature” affect your eyesight?!
 
I would have to hope so..... after I sat down again he kept glancing over at me and whispering to his teenage son. Luckily they left shortly afterwards! A nice Hendricks and Tonic made me forget all about it shortly afterwards and we had a lovely meal. hubby couldn’t stop laughing as he heard the altercation from our table!
 
A couple of almost reasonable nights! Still on my back but only up for the loo a couple of times and wasn't hobbling like an old witch when I finally got up. And then up and downstairs for a shower all on my own! Was it the fairly quiet day I had yesterday? Or the dry crisp autumn mornings? Are the ibuprofen finally doing their stuff as a NSAID? Whichever it is is such a blessing, especially as we're off to play with the sniffly granddaughter later.
 
Wear a mask re sniffly granddaughter! Glad your sleep is improving. Do you use a crutch when you get up in the middle of the night? I do and definitely feel like an old witch. I walk around the kitchen/conservatory for a bit just to free off the muscles before going back to bed and sneak a ginger biscuit to scoff too.

Cold, sunny and touch of frost outside this morning. Haven’t exercised for a few days due to pulled muscles but will try some gentle walking later this morning.

I have tried sleeping on my non- op side, pillow between legs but felt the op side muscle pulling across the thigh and lower back so went back to back sleeping. I take some otrivine spray to help me breathe and have a small fan blowing across the bed. This helps.

How is your walking going?! Good luck with your granddaughter today :-)
 
Glad you've been resting better!
Hope today is a Good Day!
:yahoo:
 
Thank you both! Had a lovely time with the granddaughter although she wasn't well at all, but we read, sang and played with my phone - she took a selfie,removed my wallpaper, turned on bluetooth and signed me up to a strange YouTube channel! Much less active than usual but that suited me.
But then a rotten night - so bad in my old hip and knee that I had a codeine as I'd already had the usual paracetamol and ibuprofen and hobbled horribly to the loo and on getting up (on one stick @SurreyGirl) I think it may be the 3 hour round trip to Leeds- my husband isn't the most careful driver and goes very fast. It was rather sad because it had been such a nice day.
Being lazy and careful today and trying to get ruthless with some of my books for the charity shop. The last of the boys left home a few weeks ago and the house feels huge and unmanageable. Time to downsize as soon as both hips are sorted.
It is grey and windy again interestingly - I heard it down the chimney again.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
    IMG_20180925_181824_507.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 174
@bickypeg I am sorry that your other hip is giving you a hard time. I am with you on being anxious about getting second hip done soonest! It was always the plan, but it seems that despite the OS speaking to his secretary as promised two weeks ago, she didn't do anything about it as I hadn't signed the wretched release form until yesterday, at my check up with OS. I will call her again later today, to see if she has had any luck with squeezing me in somewhere! If not it will be December. OS is also going away for a week or something like that, in November, which complicates matters.

So encouraging you got the bone class date....very promising for a surgery to come soon after!

I totally agree that the damp weather affects our OA. Last winter I wore hiking rain pants over fleece lined riding breeches (although I no longer could get in the saddle) to do barn chores, and blocking out the dampness helped so much....but still not enough!

@SurreyGirl Your story about the man washing himself in the handicap bathroom was funny and gross at the same time! Having to look at him in the restaurant afterwards must have been interesting. As you say, nothing like a Hedricks and Gin to help you get on with having a good evening! My favourite too!
 
@bickypeg that car journey may have been the reason. That was a long time with speedy Gonzales driving apparently!

Beautiful day down south today and no apparent ill effects from my walk yesterday so may venture out again later.

Everyone has been behaving themselves in the loos/washrooms since Trouser-Gate I am very glad to say :-)
 
What were you doing @Alitm? mucking out ? Oh nooooo! Think of your poor hip!
Hubby needs to sort himself out with his driving @SurreyGirl as we may be babysitting once a fortnight if son gets new job. I'm not sure I'm up to it to be honest as bending and standing for any length of time is still hard. Hubby will have to change nappies and carry her about that's all. I can manage the other things. I think. Lots of hippies on here seem to cope with childminding duties...:scare:
 
Hi @bickypeg
Love the selfie your granddaughter took. Nice hair, you two. :heehee:
Hopefully the wind has died down and you're feeling better as the day has progressed.
May tomorrow feel brighter :SUNsmile:
 
Thank you @Layla. First visit to the hairdressers last week - such a treat especially the cappuccino and biscuits whilst waiting. And the girly talk.
Yes painkillers were kicking in by lunchtime which makes me feel more positive and less irritable! I still get little unrelated mood swings though- youngest son had paid a short visit at the weekend and I was almost tearful when he'd gone. Most unusual. Think I'm also getting desperate for some outside contact and perhaps voluntary work now but it's not going to happen until no.2 hip is sorted. I spend too much time thinking about myself and worrying about new symptoms. (Dry skin on legs again today!) But the babysitting will help.
 
It does sound like some time away from home time is needed.
Maybe a breakfast or lunch date with a friend, or coffee and dessert?
Even sitting on a park bench in the sunshine watching the world in motion may help. If the weather cooperates.
Have fun babysitting!
@bickypeg
 
Sending you some of our warm California sunshine @bickypeg - guaranteed to bring cheer! Hope your pain and sleeping sort themselves out. Sometimes it seems just as one thing gets managed in recovery another issue springs up. Try to get some outdoors time if weather allows. If not, just enjoy the cyber California sunshine. Wishing you healing!
 
@bickypeg No the mucking out stopped on Sept 13th, the day before surgery!! Hubs is on poop, feed and turn out duty. He is fretting as I'm now on crutches as of today, and the walking is so much easier now that I don't have the walker. He knows the time he has kept me out of the barn is coming to a close. However, not an implement I will lift, as I have taken my OS talk of healing stages to heart. This surgery is such a gift, and still one more to go. I am going to my physio to get some modified abs and upper body exercises, so I can ward off back pain. Everything abs exercise I was doing pre-op is off the table now. My physio is excellent, and told me he is happy to follow OS protocol...so no pressure to do nasty exercises to healing soft tissues. I know I wouldn't do that to horses healing from tendon or ligament injuries, why would I do it to myself!!

Hope that you can get out with a friend or family member. I was out at the hospital yesterday having my x-ray and check up with OS, and then out at the pharmacy today to get wound dressings and then went for a coffee. Not terribly exciting venues, but so good to be out in the sunny Fall air. I'm in the Pacific Northwest of Canada, so the rain is a coming next month! Got to get the vit D while we can! Yes, getting out really helps the mood! Thinking of you! We might be second hippy buddies...close enough :SUNsmile:
 
I do get out as much as I can ladies, it's just I'd like to feel useful! My sister has been retired for years and is quite happy with the usual retirement jollies but it's not what I'm used to. I was a primary school learning support assistant for 20 years and I find it hard to sit about and be dependent on others. But it will be amazing to have two working hips next year so I must be a patient patient! Hopefully I can concentrate my energy on the granddaughter. All being well I'll have her reading before she's much older...
I am a bit envious. I do like horses but do be sensible! Poor husband! One of my loveliest experiences was visiting the royal stud in Jordan and seeing all the perfect snow white Arab horses, like something out of a fairytale.
 
"Hubs is on poop, feed and turn out duty"

I may have to share this with my husband @Alitm if that's ok, so he doesn't feel overly-burdened by his titles of "chef, cat-feeder and clean up crew"!

@bickypeg....ok, maybe it's the meds, maybe...but we already have poor @lovesstars over at my thread regretting her whip skills having been revealed ....and now we have you, recalling your fondest memories of... "visiting the Royal stud in Jordan" .... Just sayin. It's all getting a little "racy" over here at BoneSmart. :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom