THR Bickypeg's new hip

@bickypeg
You sound very similar to me.i had RTHR on 13th July. It seems to be doing fine but is being hampered by my left hip and knee, both of which need doing. When I go out for a walk there is no pain from the new hip but the opposite knee, in particular, is really holding me back.
I paid privately for my op but can't afford to do that again so my OS has put me on his NHS list and will see me again in about 6 months time to discuss the other hip and knee. Something to look forward to :-)
 
You must keep chasing him and ringing his secretary. They don't mean to fob you off but resources are so stretched. I wish I'd made more of a fuss earlier instead of being stoical!
 
Glad to know you are feeling a bit better. Laughed at the banana as that is my” go to” fruit in the middle of the night and it does seem to help. just found out that H has drunk all my coconut water - another 3am go to when I get fed up with plain water. Grrrgh!

Going to follow your example and ease back on the codeine to see if I can cope. Hate the dry mouth too.

Physio again today. I am lucky with this lady as she is very encouraging and we work on specific things to help me rather than general stuff and manage to get through quite a bit in the half hour. I also get to go in an ice machine afterwards that calms everything down. I paid for six sessions and this is session number 4. She really helped me with stairs which I was very nervous of. We have steepish spiral stairs.
 
Hi, glad you guys are feeling a bit better. I was at my 3m check yesterday and was warned it's early days and not to expect too much too soon.
I read all the pre-op stuff about not being back to 'normal' until at least 12m post-op but it doesn't mean anything until you are in it!
Hadn't thought about bananas at night. Tend to try milk and biscuits if anything. I'm more or less back to my usual pre-op wake two or three times each night, need to move so pad to loo and back to bed. Usually back to sleep very quickly, think it's mostly unoperated hip waking me.
 
So glad you are feeling better lovey. Family is everything and spending time with family helps. Keep up the good work of positive thinking x
 
I like grapes...white ones, green ones...red fat ones...ice cold.
So glad your tummy troubles are easing @bickypeg .
Bananas are easy on the tummy and the potassium good for muscle cramps.
One month out is a tough time.
I felt like the first weeks, albeit rough, was an adrenaline filled time...relief at getting through surgery and the worst pain...so at one month...all the stress and emotions settled in and I felt vulnerable and disheartened.
Post op blues for sure. And had I been dealing with digestive issues too boot...I would have been even more melancholy.
Good for company yesterday and know that this recovery business is temporary hardship...
Hope today is a good day!
 
Spoke too soon re boredom! Had a week without codeine as the strange tum problems (Laxidos? Or was it a bug? several others in the family had vomiting and diarrhoea!) had put me right off. Managed several days just with paracetamol and the nights were getting better. But today and yesterday awful pain in unoperated hip and knee - struggled to get in the car and certainly didn't want to get out for a walk (though doing a mile in short bursts round the house) Gave in today and had a codeine as can now hardly bear to put any weight on my right leg. Worried that it just hides the pain but as nothing will ease that apart from a new hip I'll have to risk it. Pinning my hopes on seeing the consultant on Tuesday but unless he wants me in very soon I don't know how he can help.
6 weeks anniversary and I thought I'd be dancing....
 
I had to wait so long for him to even put me on the waiting list for this one. And then it was 7 months before the op. Oh well must wait and see and try to be positive. And not be frightened of becoming an addict to codeine which is at the back of my mind.:umm:
 
I had a codeine. An hour later I went in the car and round the supermarket with OH, another milestone! Only bought 4 things and leaned on the trolley but still. If I need to take more painkillers to have some kind of life I'll do it.
 
Hi there, :hi:
It will get better. When you think of how many years you'll have that prosthetic, six weeks is very early into recovery. Boredom does set in. We may begin to feel more energized, but our leg doesn't always cooperate.
You'll get there. :flwrysmile:
@bickypeg
 
You must keep chasing him and ringing his secretary. They don't mean to fob you off but resources are so stretched. I wish I'd made more of a fuss earlier instead of being stoical!
Thanks @bickypeg I am going to diarise for about 4 months time and then ring the secretary to make sure I am definitely on the list for another consultation.
 
Sounds odd but does anyone else get the occasional feeling of a trickle of water running down the back of the leg? Can be either and only very rarely , usually when I'm walking about after a bit of a sit.
 
Well I'm definitely not hairy! :giggle:

LOL... uh... yeah... me too :-) (insert sarcastic wink here). I wish I weren't hairy... it would have made certain things so very mush easier (like the bathroom... which you can read in my recovery post). At least I am loosing my head hair... so I guess I should take comfort in that (again, insert sarcastic wink here) :-P
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom