Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

P.S. I could do with changing the title of my thread! Despite no exercising apart from walking around the house I have no problem elevating my legs now.
 
Days of doing more and feeling good while doing it can certainly be followed by time recovering from the additional activity.
All normal at just over one month out.
Recovery is an up and down, Ebb and Flow journey.
Stay with the ice and stay encouraged.
Prime time for post op blues and energy drain.
[Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip

You are on the right path...it's just a winding path!
Hope your weekend is peaceful!
 
Oh thank you! Love the cartoon! I feel much better now but lack of sleep makes it so hard to have a sense of proportion.
Don't know about the title! I was never any good at finding names for our pets...
 
Hi :hi:
Yes, you're right. You can unload here. The forum is a large group of caring people who understand
your concerns, anxiety, fatigue and pain. I hope you're still icing. If you wake in the night and you're stiff or in pain, please ice.

You may have woke in pain because you were sleeping in an odd position, or felt sore because you mentioned you moved around a lot without your cane during the day. I think finding a balance with our sea legs takes time. I'm sure you're walking with a guarded gait without realizing. Taking steps that are less fluid than when we lived pain free. That may have contributed to waking with pain and stiffness.

Don't let people frighten you with dependency stories. They don't feel your physical pain. I'm sure with your fears and awareness you won't become dependent.

I hope you're having a good day so far and wish you a happy Sunday!
@bickypeg
 
Don't worry tomorrow will be better. Hang in there. We are recovering together. Feel free to complain all you want on this forum, it's good for your health to get it out of your head.
 
:wave:Now I'll be able to find you very easily, @bickypeg !
Not Even quite one month or, so No Comparing, no Projecting what will be....you just need to take your recovery one day at a time and know that we are on your side:roseshwr:
 
Good to hear about improvement in elevating legs. I went to a party today and managed three hours before having to come home, ice and straight to sleep at 6pm. Now 01:46 and chill music pouring into my ears but can’t sleep. At least not back at work yet so can catch up with sleep into the morning if needs be. This forum has been brilliant in giving me a real insight into post hip op recovery and what to expeck. Once leaving hospital we are very much leftvon our own to get on with it..
 
After my really bad night I had a very quiet day and took paracetamol, a couple of codeine with 1 sachet of Laxidos,all the same as usual. Had a much better couple of days and nights and was feeling pleased that my course of anti coagulants had finished as it seemed a bit of a milestone.But yesterday morning had to go to the loo 14 times! Not (without being revolting) diarrhoea. I'd already decided to manage without codeine as much as possible as I hated the dry mouth sensation especially at night which obviously meant knocking off the laxative as well. Ate very little that day but drank lots of water and squash as I thought I must be dehydrated, just some porridge in the evening.
Feeling very washed out and down (yes I know it's 5 weeks blues probably) but dreading son and baby coming today. No energy despite ironically aches and pains being manageable. Just feel it's one step forward 2 steps back. Walking around the house a lot still but don't feel like trying the car again and have to force myself to make the effort to climb our horrible steep stairs to go for a shower. Oh bother!
 
@bickypeg oh bless your cotton socks! It's probably the hardest thing I have ever done had this hip surgery. I know exactly how you feel and don't feel bad about moaning on here, we all get it! I am actually having a much much better recovery this time round, 2 weeks today, but I had a melt down last night!! Family just don't get it even though they sympathise but it only really lasts for a couple of weeks!! You know you're in recovery and are told that what you feel is normal but it still sucks! I always tell my children (21 & 24!!) That when they are going through a rough patch in life that they won't always feel that bad. Life moves on and with it, you leave that problem behind. This is a long long recovery but I am certain it will be worth it. Another thing I tell them ( I must be really annoying!) Is that the most scariest things we do normally end up the best things we have ever done. I truly believe that this applies to this hip journey. My life was pretty rubbish and painful pre op and I am already making plans for next year to do more active things with my new hips. That's got to be something to hold onto in the dead of night when we can't sleep. We will get there!!!!!
 
Thank you Bevlah. Kind wise words and I will try to be mindful of what you say. Life was sooo miserable before I had my op I must try to remember that.. I see the consultant very soon. I do hope he puts me on the waiting list for no. 2 hip as no.1 has gone so well despite all my moaning.
Feeling a bit tearful about not being able to mind the granddaughter once a week when Sarah goes back to work but I can't see how I'll feel much better in 4 weeks. Hate the thought of her being in nursery more than 1 day. Feel a bit tearful about all kinds of things! (This is another worry about codeine apart from its painkilling properties I am aware it has a cheering effect! Must remember that doesn't compensate for being constipated!)
A lot of the problem for many of us on here I think is suddenly being the cared-for, not the caregiver, loss of manageable goals, no logic to recovery patterns, and actually feeling ill a lot of the time when you've previously been healthy, just in pain.
Don't know what I'd do without you lot!
:angel:
 
@bickypeg Sounds like you have a real case of Post Op Blues! Just remember all this is temporary. In 4 weeks time you will feel better - maybe not totally normal but better.

This recovery business is a roller coaster ride. Just hang on tight - you'll get there!
[Bonesmart.org] Bickypeg's new hip
 
This all rings so true. I have tried to warn H about the blues but he just doesn’t get it. Interesting that you are scaling back the codeine. So what are you in at the moment for the pain?
That Laxidol stuff is horrible. I still take it but not so often. Plenty of oat bran, prunes and coffee is helping.

Like Bevlah I am making some long term plans. I have a holiday in the tropics next year and have already contacted my old diving friends about what adjustments they can make to get me back diving. Once I am back swimming I will be working on strength in this area and also practicing climbing up small ladders as will need to do this on the boats. Not yet of course, this is all to come.

I was surprised st how much just doing an hours shop yesterday knocked the stuffing out of me. It was a bit scary as the place was busy and children running about. It did not take much acting to look frail and scared but people were very kind.

Do let me know how you get in without the codeine. And best of luck to both of you :-)
 
:wave:I sure hope today is a better day.
Those post op blues are real and so is the energy drain...:unsure:
Hang in there @bickypeg .
We are rooting for you!:friends:
 
Wishing you comfort and a better week than the last.
Early recovery can be difficult, but thankfully it doesn't last.
You'll make it through. Come and vent whenever you need to.
We'll be here, we understand and we care.
Big hugs!
@bickypeg
 
A few hours on - and I feel so different! Tum seems to have settled down, I've just eaten bananas and shortbread (!) and drunk tea and water. Just on 4 × paracetamol today and yesterday. Granddaughter and parents were round for lunch which they sorted out and it was all very lovely and cheered me up so much. I will try to help them as much as i can but I'm silly worrying about anything until I've seen the consultant. I'm sure if I didn't need the other hip doing I wouldn't have had all these problems. I rarely have more than a muscular twinge from the new hip and it feels strong and I'd have otherwise been doing much more. But it's so easy to overdo things with old hip and knee and create pain that I'm over cautious. But if I can manage mostly without codeine I'll be pleased.
It's not just that company cheered me up - yesterday the eldest came for lunch and later no. 3 son called - I hated that I didn't feel bright enough to chat much and actually had to go to bed before they left as I was so tired.
But these things are sent to try us. I'll try not to tire out old hip if it means I can knock off the painkillers. I know when it's bone on bone there's nothing I can do to improve it, and hopefully it's just a waiting game.
Daren't book a holiday yet but I've got tickets for Nutcracker at Christmas and the les Mis tour in March so a couple of treats to come.
Thanks for all the support and suggestions. xxx
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom