• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Bickypeg's new hip

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just saw GP who ruled out Sjogrens syndrome which was a great relief. Was still having dry mouth problems especially at night and dry itchy skin problems. Apparently when I had what I thought was an unnecessary test for diabetes back in July they also looked at RA and another marker and all normal. Lovely female GP (Dr Grainger @Apricot ) who was very reassuring and prescribed a nasal spray and a huge pot of Zero AQs emollient cream for showering. Thinks back sleeping and central heating largely responsible. So feeling fairly chipper after hearing I didn't have an auto immune disease.
Mentioned I'd done well with new hips until June when gardening , long hot walks, building sandcastles etc had given me tendonitis. She was sympathetic but unsurprised. Guess I wasn't her first patient who'd joined the ODIC!
Very stiff this morning when I got up but decided not to have paracetamol until I got back and now at 11.00 find I don't need them. More stretching and warming up as I get up is obviously the answer?

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Glad you got some good news from your GP yesterday. @bickypeg Even better that you liked her and felt like she really listened to your concerns. We are just starting to crank heat and itchy skin and flat, bad hair days have appeared.

Sending wishes for warmer this weekend. xxx Sarah

Apricot

senior
Country
Its worth checking out the platforms arriving and departing on either Northern's website or thetrainline then you can see whether you will have to do the double set of steps to get to the exit barriers. A lot of trains seem to be on platform 6 rather than 1 or 2.

Apricot

senior
Country
DR G is fairly sensible and pleasant and very direct.
Cherish them while we can.
Hard to know how much longer they can continue without recruiting some more GPs. Seems the Walk-In clinic is proving very stressful for the lone GP who runs it when the 'others eg nurses' finish their shift at 12.00 and go - leaving the GP to mop everyone waiting up. Don't ask how I know. Feel sworn to secrecy....:heehee:

Very good news you don't have an auto immune disease. If only they gave real feedback on bloodtests at the time results were known. There would be less worry and follow-up appointments.

Some nice crafty things to buy for presents in HB this weekend. I went to The Egg Factory, Northlight and Brunswick Studios and surprised myself into buying most of my presents. Think its 11-5 again tomorrow.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
It sounds like you had a reassuring visit with your GP @bickypeg
Lots of good news! It's wonderful how you held off a bit on the Paracetamol only to find you didn't need it afterall. I hope you've been enjoying the weekend. Wishing you a great Sunday!

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Still ups and downs though @Apricot and @Layla. A couple of grand days out and about - nearly 10000 steps Thursday in Bradford on the train, mall, comedian gig - then Gawthorpe Hall yesterday with OH and no 3 son for a Victorian Christmas. Felt great and happy and thinking how far I'd come in 1 year, 2 years!
Then a wakeful achey night, dry mouth, bad dreams, fed up. So annoying! Felt like Bob Cratchit yesterday, Scrooge this morning...
Definitely a paracetamol day...
But eldest round for lunch so having a go at chicken stirfry which I haven't made for years. And he's getting a bit excited for Christmas because of his niece for the first time in years so time to slap a smile on my face and be agreeable...:angel:

Attachments

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
So annoying! Felt like Bob Cratchit yesterday, Scrooge this morning...
You have to laugh at yourself though, right? You never fail to make me laugh.
I certainly wish you didn't have bad dreams or wake up feeling as though you've been trudging through the Sahara Desert. Poor bickypeg. :console2:

I must say though, YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL in that photo. You've never looked better! You're doing something right. :wink:

Slap that smile on and get the fam laughing with your sense of humor. Soon you'll be enjoying the time and forget you felt Scroogish this morning.

I hope you have a lovely afternoon and evening and a peaceful sleep tonight.
Big hugs!
@bickypeg

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Aw thank you! As you can probably work out ranting on this page is my therapy! (Though not so helpful when poor @Fit4Family is going through such a lot :unsure:)

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You're welcome!

Sarah (Fit4Family) has a sense of humor though and she knows we love and support her as she will continue to find evidence of on her thread. So please continue to amuse us by bringing a little sunshine into our day. :)
You are beloved here also!
@bickypeg

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Yes @bickypeg if we can’t laugh we’d be in a real tight jam. So please continue with your funny posts. Exactly what I need.

Agree with @Layla gorgeous photo of you. You look quite smart in your jeans paired with jacket. Looking very happy I might add. xxx

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
loved your last few updates, you are getting out and about and doing well! Except for the Scroogy night.. boo!
Love it when you post your pictures.. the grandbaby is adorable and I agree that you are looking positively glowing in your pictures.. the picture of healing!!

How in the heck did you misplace hubby? Desperate wives need to know the secret? :rotfl: :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Hi, @bickypeg--what is the forum here for except for complaining and ranting? Have at it, girl! And amusing rants are always wonderful to read, in my opinion. Glad you don't have the Sjogrens syndrome, and you will live to see another day despite the itching and dry mouth. Sounds like that's just normal cold, dry air problem, and maybe by next spring and summer. Cool photographs of the Victorian Christmas and, yes, I agree with others that you were looking quite stylish. Life is looking up, yes? Have a great day!

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
Love your picture! Your face is so young! Have you attempted to lose your husband at any more stations yet?

I have a long drive to Cambridge coming up over Christmas which will be a test of the hip.

btw I find having a hot water bottle at night really helps with morning stiffness.
Be careful of the ODIC which appears to wait around every corner for recovering hippies...

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Feel bad coming on to complain again! It's a fine line between sharing my problems which I find therapeutic, or 'showing off' because I'm doing so well!
Had to postpone physio last week which was then only a catch up really but seeing her tomorrow which is a great relief. Having trouble with both knees for the last few days which is a great worry as I know they are arthritic but new hips seemed to have sorted them out. Hope it's just recent over activity - 2 long drives as emergency babysitters with long days, usual sick toddler minding, and a car which is juddering. Another babysitting day Monday but fortunately youngest has finished the Joseph tour and came too. Admitted he was exhausted at the end of the day!
Usual up and down to the attic for Christmas decorations, and wrapping and lifting stuff. And family arriving Saturday to stay over Christmas so menu planning and bed changing. And I'm not sleeping. (Plus immense depression and anger over election results @Apricot) So perfect storm really. Help!
Had lots of fun too though and good to catch up with sister whom I hadn't seen for a while. Nice to chat to a woman! Fairly male heavy in this family!
How to strike a balance though @Barbaraj ! Blooming impossible at Christmas! Couldn't even enjoy Nutcracker at the cinema yesterday as I couldn't get comfy.
Oh well on with paracetamol again and did some icing this morning which helped. Trying to avoid more ibuprofen- gives me tinnitus among other things.At least I feel cheerful. Another few gloomy days last week which worry me far more than pain.
Nice Macmillan carol concert at Leeds Minster last week and brief walk in park with the little one Monday.
(The juddering car problem is ongoing and too boring to talk about but think not helping. Trying to avoid being a passenger)

Attachments

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Hello @bickypeg Your granddaughter toddling along the path! So darn cute. Christmas and all it’s trimmings is all the PT most of us need this time of year. Lovely but many, many obligations and extra tasks.

Your life sounds very full and I imagine exhausting. Hope you can find relief for your knees. Is it possible a footwear change started the problem? My left knee is terribly finicky about my footwear choice, but only announces problem the day after with terribly cranky knee pain.

Hope your appointment tomorrow helps you. Send me a PM if you need sleep assistance. Truly life changing for me. xxxx ❤

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
It's possible @Fit4Family. Got some fake Skechers which have felt great but perhaps it was a false economy though I've worn them for a while now. Perhaps I better leave them for a bit. I'm still happier with bare feet but it's freezing fog and the wind is whistling through the nooks and crannies of our Victorian house! I hate winter. Just sitting and watching Christmas movies at the moment and looking forward to the next round of painkillers :bawl:
Do hope that you're bearing up I'll have a look at your latest shortly now America's awake!

OP
OP
bickypeg

bickypeg

graduate
Country
A short journey up to son's house of only 3 miles? Bucket seat, very old car, rural bumpy roads and the juddering which started a week ago. And husband's zooming and braking. And I felt it straight away. New car in the New Year? (new husband....:heehee:)
I would be so happy if it's such an easy if expensive solution!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
A short journey up to son's house of only 3 miles? Bucket seat, very old car, rural bumpy roads and the juddering which started a week ago. And husband's zooming and braking. And I felt it straight away. New car in the New Year? (new husband....:heehee:)
Hahaha! Oh, bickypeg you are funny. I hope you are able to purchase a new car if this one is going to cause you physical distress with each outing.

It's great to read you're feeling cheerful today. Hopefully it's continued as the day has progressed.

Look at that little cutie strolling the path with her stick in hand and little white poufs on her hat. So adorable. I'll bet she makes your day. Won't she be fun on Christmas?!!

I'm sorry your knees are bothering you but since they weren't, but now are after all of the Activity you listed, hopefully it's just from over activity. If your son was exhausted by the end of an active day on Monday, it makes sense that you'd be feeling some physical effects also.

It's good to hear family is coming on Saturday for Christmas. You always seem to thrive while spending time with those you love most and hopefully your days will be full enough that you're exhausted by the time your head hits the pillow and you sleep soundly. Fingers crossed! :fingersx: Or possibly you can get some tips from Fit4Family as she's offered.

Wishing you a peaceful afternoon and evening as well as sound sleep tonight. Hugs!

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
You crack me up @bickypeg New hubby! Lol.

Who knows on the sketchers. I bought new trainers a few weeks back and my feet loved them, but my knees had a time adjusting to slightly higher arch and cushioning. Sent you a PM on sleep.

I just retrieved a stack of holiday movies and plan to sit by fire today and let the stories comfort my rattling mind. Healing thoughts headed your way. xxxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Maggiespal
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom