Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

Thankyou @Barbaraj! Don't be afraid of having your second hip done if the time comes. We get so used to plodding on with constant pain even if it's only lowgrade. I don't think we realise how much it grinds us down. But it's so good when it stops! Sitting here thinking 'ouch that hurts and why is my ankle sore again?' but it's not the same. Thankfully. But you're so right to prepare yourself physically as much as you can, I'm sure it will stand you in good stead.
Got upstairs for the first time and managed a shower. Oh the bliss once I'd chucked out husband's horrible Wright's Coal Tar soap and replaced it with my Lush bilberry one. Sister, brother in law and great niece here today but a sense of relief when they'd gone. A quick pop in and out is best. Partly because of concentration? But surprisingly tiring.
 
When visitors arrive you move into hospitality mode and want to look after them that's why its tiring. Also lots of chemicals still in the body making you tired. The reality is you need the looking after. Great that they are getting the message on short visits. Sounds like you are doing very well.
 
I feel sorry for the District Nurses @Apricot . Always so lovely and cheerful. Ours was so excited when she got a cappuccino and a biscuit! I was her 8th visit that morning and she said when she first started she thought it would be endless cuppas and chats but it never happened! How sad not to use them as nurses especially when it's so difficult to get to see a GP now.
 
It's true @Apricot ! You're pleased to see them but not only thinking about getting them a drink or a meal but making sure the bathroom is clean, fresh towel etc. Family plus toddler coming over at the weekend and I'm thinking oh no as well as ooo yes! :sleeep:
 
I remember that first shower, bickypeg. It is blissful!
I recall feeling rather drained though afterward. Falling into the recliner felt good. I'm in
agreement on the early visitors. Feels like it sucks energy out of you more than fulfilling you.
People are well intentioned, feel it's the proper thing to do and want to "see" that you're doing okay,
so we put up with it in those early days.
I hope the rest of your day is peaceful.
@bickypeg
 
Healing hugs...:loveshwr: for a nice clean Lush bilberry smelling bickypeg!:)
 
Is @Josephine about? Really good news from Bristol University 's comprehensive research on how long hip replacements actually last! So much longer than we were given to understand. I hope this means younger people will be considered rather than leaving them disabled and in pain for years.
 
Two weeks post op and I feel so much better than I did before I went in. May drop a codeine to see how much I'm masking pain or whether I really do feel better. But I need to remind myself it's early days and be sensible. Newly hipped leg wandered towards the other last night which was both scary (they warn about it in the few post operative notes I got) but also interesting as neither has ever had that amount of flexibility before.
Had 2 sessions on the bed with feet elevated yesterday with Audible (a very annoying version of Northanger Abbey) and it made such a difference to the swelling. Obviously need to keep that going. No ice as there was no pain.
Might try sitting in the car today as a passenger but don't fancy a drive. Bucket seat and my right hip so don't quite know how to do it.
Anyway at the moment very thankful and more optimistic than I have been for years.:)
 
Any tips for getting the tape and bits and pieces off the incision wound? I dampen it in the shower but it's pretty well stuck down and I daren't tug at it in case everything comes away with it! :yikes:
 
Oh, yes, that wonderful first shower--I do remember! Until my first check up following surgery, I had to use an aqua-cell over the incision, but after that I was okay'ed to remove the bandage and shower. I, too, had lots of little steri-strips over the incision, but I let the water wash over the incision and it did loosen the strips such that I was able, within a day or two, to remove them gently. A last few hung on for awhile but eventually they all were tugged off, exposing that scary looking scar to view. Glad to hear that elevating your leg helps with swelling. I am sure it might have been useful for me as well, but I hated elevating, it just felt so uncomfortable. But, no surprise, the swelling did got down eventually and progress moved forward. It's still such early days for you, @bickypeg, and you're doing great--hurray for you!
 
Personally, I wouldn't use either ON the wound, itself.
What I did was slather on a bunch of body wash then turned away from the shower head, letting it work as a solvent of sorts. After I washed and conditioned my hair I GENTLY rolled with my finger, or LIGHTLY scratched the residue off the surrounding area, never touching the incision itself. I'd worry about opening it or irritating it at only 15 days post op if I were you. Your best bet is to leave it alone right now in my opinion.
@bickypeg
 
That's nice @Barbaraj But nothing to do with me! But I couldn't elevate either last time I found it impossible. And it was much more swollen as well.Also it was much longer before I could face the stairs or a shower. I think I'll leave be. It looks such a mess but unlike the other the nurse said there had been a bit of weeping and I don't want to pull on any scabs.
I think the physios have forgotten about me which is good! Though a bit of advice on walking correctly would have been helpful eventually. I was very disappointed with them. Although they're nice women I thought it would be like Daphne Moon in Frasier and they'd help me do the exercises and massage sore bits! Sadly just a very hands off experience!
 
Oh, I keep forgetting that this is #2, @bickypeg, so you have some idea what to expect but you also know that things can be different the second time around. I think you should do whatever makes sense for you this time around, and knowing how your body reacts will be a good reference and guide for you as you move forward. If you are glad the physios have forgotten you, then don't remind 'em! I wasn't referred to PT until I was six weeks out, but feeling pretty good by then and eager to get back into some structured exercises. Never got any massage but seems like that would be helpful. I have only had massages at fancy spa places on vacation, with lots of "woo-woo" music playing, dim lights and lovely scents in the air. They always feel so good although I am sure they are not therapeutic at all. Still, on a grey and gloomy day like today, and feeling headachy and stiff, I think a massage would feel lovely even if it had no lasting effects. Have a great day!
 
Oh she came today! Woe is me! Especially as I was expecting son daughter in law and toddler for the weekend so was being very quiet in readiness. She made me do lots of horrid things including something called a clam. She did explain what each did and how it would improve my various muscles. But the fact remains I was aching horribly when she left on both sides especially along the incision and I could have done without it.Only one more visit anyway. It makes much more sense to wait until after seeing the consultant I think. But she did show me how to walk properly with one stick.
:sleeep:
 
@Bickpeg - Clams?? In the South East they are known as oysters and are very good for the glutes
 
Oh she came today! Woe is me! Especially as I was expecting son daughter in law and toddler for the weekend so was being very quiet in readiness. She made me do lots of horrid things including something called a clam. She did explain what each did and how it would improve my various muscles. But the fact remains I was aching horribly when she left on both sides especially along the incision and I could have done without it.Only one more visit anyway. It makes much more sense to wait until after seeing the consultant I think. But she did show me how to walk properly with one stick.
:sleeep:
If there was a dislike button I would press it. clams as in PT not the edible ones are horrible especially early out!
 
I know @SurreyGirl. On only a second visit to go through such a vigorous routine, including the dreaded bridge (5 of everything) was unhelpful to say the least. Had the worst night since I came out of hospital and had to have my painkillers at 4.45 am which has thrown my schedule out, and I was so pleased to have lost a codeine. Silly to be cross but things were going so well. More than half a mile each day round the house and garden and even doing a few bits of light housework I'm sure was enough to keep the muscles ticking over.Lower back and first hip particularly painful. I'm sure @Barbaraj 's regime of having physio at that level well after the op when your body has settled down is far more sensible. Sorry to moan on here but the family are all here today for lunch (a DIY job don't worry) and the boys are all so softhearted I have to put on a brave face! Oh well these things are sent to try us...:dead:
 
Hi @bickypeg
I hope you have a nice lunch with your family today. Sounds like fun.
Sorry you're hurting. Would you consider stopping the physio? At least for the time being.
It really isn't necessary anyway. It sounds like you're having a miserable time and then suffering afterward.
Wishing you comfort and relief from the pain.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom