THR Bickypeg's new hip

Hi again, I read elsewhere that you're wondering if the blood thinner is making you cold.
My guess is no, in all I've read.

I also read that people who complain of feeling cold when they're tired, have usually been staying up into the early morning hours. It's not the fatigue itself that causes your temperature to drop. Instead, you're experiencing the natural variation in body temperature that occurs with the body's circadian rhythm.

Since you've been having wakeful nights as you've described above, possibly this applies.
Poor bickypeg needs to go nigh nigh :yawn: :sleep:
Hugs :friends:
@bickypeg
 
Said she would just like to see my abductions sitting down as they were so weak last time. And they were at least twice as strong! She was so pleased and said it showed how much exercises helped...I felt rather guilty as I'd done none but that was very satisfactory.
:heehee: Way to satisfy both of you!!

My husband is back on blood thinner after his afib has returned...and I don't know about the physiology of the meds...but he is Freezing all the time.
Especially his extremities.
So I certainly think that it is a real thing.

Early days still, my friend. If you think you need your meds for longer, get some!
 
I tried Magnesium once @Layla but think it may have been the wrong kind or too much as it just worked as a laxative! Talking of which...Codeine's excellent bunging up properties are no longer working and I've had what my Ma called 'the backyard trots' since the small hours! Still busily rehydrating but it's a bit tiresome! But...aches and pains seem no worse just on paracetamol still so I'm really pleased about that. Had a lovely relax on the bed for half an hour with feet elevated which was very refreshing and think I'll fit in another this afternoon. Only 3 weeks so I can't really complain about anything! Though I'm sure I shall!
I know Warfarin acts as a rat poison by chilling the poor creatures to death so there must be some cooling element? Though they are small...
 
It does make one cold...seen it first hand with DH and father. Don't know why.
I know Warfarin acts as a rat poison by chilling the poor creatures to death so there must be some cooling element?
Actually they overdose the poor mice so that the anticoagulant causes them to bleed internally. Ugh!
But works to prevent blood clots...
 
Happy to hear you had some restorative quiet time.
I hope you're having a good day. I'm just getting into mine with the time difference.
Wishing you a peaceful afternoon and evening! :flwrysmile:
@bickypeg
 
Wow, @bickypeg, you've been through the ringer lately as you try to figure out a good regimen for yourself--poor sleep, dry mouth, deciding to give up or reduce medications--so many things to worry about! I think you just have to roll with it a bit, napping when possible, hydrating often and reminding yourself constantly that this is just a phase in recovery and this too shall pass. Yes, I know that's easier said than done, but it is true. Hang in there, and do take care of and baby yourself. If there was ever a time in your life when you need to selfishly put yourself first, this is it! Sounds like you've got a lovely family so I hope they are gathered around and being supportive. I hope this tiresome phase passes quickly and very soon you're feeling much better and able to do more. Hugs.
 
Aw thanks @Barbaraj . The dry mouth was horrendous looking back. Used to wake up literally with my tongue cleaving to the roof of my mouth (Think there's one of the psalms mentions it...)and it makes one quite panicky. Everyone's at work sadly but they all take time out to WhatsApp which is great. Shan't be sorry to get to bed tonight and I have lots of entertainment if I do wake. I can always snooze in the day although it always seems so self indulgent which is silly .Had a bowl of porridge for my evening meal and hoping that will settle my tum. Upward and onward! Again!
 
Aww, poor sleep deprived, bickypeg :console2:
Hopefully you're snoozing and having sweet dreams by now....you can tell us
how great it was in the morning :yawn: :sleep:
Yes? :yes: No? :nah:
@bickypeg
 
Not bad at all @Layla thank you! I was in bed at 9.30, didn't wake until 3 and listened to a story on Audible for a while quite comfortably, and then away again until 6.00! Tiny bit of pale watery daylight out there and it's March (rabbits, rabbits, rabbits) so it must be nearly Spring! Still very sleepy so might stay in here a little longer....:yawn:
 
Used to wake up literally with my tongue cleaving to the roof of my mouth (Think there's one of the psalms mentions it..
:heehee:
Poor bickypeg.
The Bible quote that comes to my mind is
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

It was easier for me to get by with a little help from my Bonesmart friends.:yes:

Yes, Spring:flwrysmile: Bound to make all recovering hippys feel better!
 
Great news! You got some sleep. I'll bet you're feeling chipper today :wink:
It's going to be quite awhile before Spring has sprung here :sad: were buried in snow. :snow plough:
Hopefully, you have some nice weather and you're able to get outdoors soon.
Enjoy the weekend!
Big hugs
@bickypeg
 
I hope you have a good day today, @bickypeg. With each passing day you are closer and closer to full recovery even if it seems as if the time is dragging and you're progress is as slow as molasses. I hope your porridge last night was an effective stomach settler and you had a reasonably good night's sleep. I was always surprised those early days at how much I napped and yet how I was able to get a full night's sleep after that. I confess I was one of the lucky ones who was able, early on, to sleep on my unoperated side. I was bolstered by pillows all around, and I'm sure drugs played a role as well, but sleeping never was a problem for me, something which resulted for me in a fairly straightforward initial recovery. Of course now it feels much more difficult for me as the early great strides are over, and I find myself back sliding with overexertion and the result aching and stiffness. With the upcoming weekend I hope your family checks in on you as presumably they've got the weekends off from work. Nice to know that even during the week they use technology to communicate so you don't feel isolated.
 
You're all so lovely, and what an appropriate quote @Mojo333 ! Looking back I think the dry mouth, sleeplessness and over 2 days & nights of diarrhoea (sorry) have been far more tiresome than hip recovery! What hip?! Time to focus on that now. Definite twinges in the small of the back, particularly the first side (is this typical double hippies??) when I first get up although I feel quite comfortable when I'm actually in bed @Barbaraj and well wedged in with bolsters, pillows, a cushtie and a hot water bottle! A couple of paracetamol and a walk and a bit of a tidy up and that tends to go eventually. Probably should do a few stretches first but my bedroom (former dining room!) always feels chilly and I'm too anxious to crank up the heating and get cosy. I find standing is much easier now. I know the anaesthetist reckoned my pelvic wotsit was tilted to compensate for the bad hip so presumably it's untilted now? Sitting for a long time isn't good so I have to remind myself to get up and have a wander. Not in the garden today -the damp has made the flags slimy and green. A bit tiresome having a drive that slopes and being on the side of a hill but when I feel ready for a car ride we'll try to find a flat bit somewhere.
More and more I think you should see your consultant @Barbaraj ; I'm moaning and groaning on here but I feel so much better 3 weeks in than I did before the operation. I don't think any of us realise how much we learn to put up with being constantly in pain.Seeing a couple of the boys and a girlfriend this weekend which is always lovely though as it's nearly the anniversary of daughter in law's death it's painful too. But he's OK. Just wish he could find someone.
 
Last edited:
Hope today goes well for you and you get the benefit of two new hips soon! Hope the weekend goes well and you don’t get too tired out. Weather forecast not brilliant so take care x
 
Just catching up on your recovery (not sure why I haven't been seeing it) A few hiccups along the way but overall it sounds like you are doing very well. Baby time, even by video is a cure for everything!
:flwrysmile:
 
Good morning, @bickypeg. It's sunny here again, which is such a boon to start the day. Sure, it's chilly out there but I'll always vote for sunshine over warmer temperatures but overcast skies. I am actually feeling better this morning, just the usual morning stiffness so icing yesterday must have worked. I skipped any exercise yesterday but I did go out in our backyard and sweep (tree debris) off. I was very careful and slow, and it didn't seem to aggravate my back or hips. I slept well and think maybe this morning I'll head off to do some exercise. I do appreciate your concern that maybe I should see my surgeon given all my aches and pains (and whining about them) but I am pretty sure that much of my discomfort was of my own making and the remaining issues are an unoperated but severely arthritic left hip. It's not so bad that I feel immediate surgery is necessary, and my plan has always been to get back in shape (well, in as much good shape as possible) and then, next September when I'm due for my one year check up, talk seriously with my surgeon about hip#2. It really wasn't as bad as bone-on-bone #1 and despite the stiffness and ache, it feels so much better post surgery!

Glad to read that standing is easier, and I think soon everything will become easier now that you're fully bionic! Stay out of that slippery garden--good decision--but as the month goes by I'm sure you'll be itching to get out there again with better weather and stronger hips. Enjoy seeing your family this weekend, despite the difficult anniversary. We all want our kids to find someone special, don't we? I have one married daughter but the other three are all still single. I'd love a few more grandchildren but not until one or more of the remaining three are happily married. Have a good weekend!
 
You know your body best of course. But be careful! It is so frustrating looking out at the garden and not being able to tackle anything but I must remember to be a good patient you have to be patient!
Yes I never wanted to be an elderly granny but here I am! And an elderly gran with 2 working hips is best...
 
:hi:
An elderly gran, with 2 working hips, who will be tip toeing through the tulips soon!
Hope you have a sunny Sunday! :SUNsmile:
@bickypeg
 
Been an unpleasant few days looking back. Tried to be very careful with diet although I haven't been hungry but still stomach upset and it's very wearing. I think it must have been a bug as a few random visitors have complained of similar symptoms. Drinking lots but still waking wanting sips of water. Then I start worrying about the impact of dry mouth on my teeth. Never Google!
Reasonably comfortable in bed but everything aches horribly when I get up around 5.00, lower back and both hips. Was I too quick to come off the codeine? Should I try something like co codamol? Sipping camomile tea with honey as it's supposed to be calming but it's so nasty!
Feeling a bit blue and isolated and thinking- was that It? Yes I know it's expected but the wind is wuthering down the chimney and it's cold and it doesn't feel like spring at all! :sad:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom