THR Bickypeg's new hip

All's well that ends well after all. Twinges still in knees and first new hip and also neck, strangely, but not as bad as at first and had another lovely half day with Baby and sensibly went and elevated everything while she had her nap. Seem to have had 3 sittings for lunch but my efforts consisted of unwrapping things like cold chicken and salad and putting them on plates and everyone else tidied, filled dishwasher and I even got the bathroom cleaned properly. Hoping for a bit of gardening from no 3 later as well. Tired now but pleasantly so not that mind numbing weariness I had at this time after my first op.
Only one more physio session so I may try to get out of it. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if I'd practised anything but squeezing glutes and quads! But she's right that my knee muscles (?) are weak so I'll try to do the squeezing together thing as it's sitting down.
It does feel like spring out there and a daffodil is actually peeping out! Brave little thing.
 
Sheesh, @bickypeg, it sounds awful to have a "trained" physio put you through exercises which not only did not improve anything but in fact put you in pain requiring medication! So sorry to read this, it sounds like a terrible experience. I agree that waiting awhile (and I'm sure the appropriate amount of time is different for everyone) makes sense, allowing you to build back strength and flexibility gradually and at your own pace. When I finally got back into PT I felt I was able to start working my way back, and they never had me doing anything that was painful. My PT lady always asked me, "are you able to do this? experiencing any pain?" She seemed well aware that gentle, slow exercises which I could do without discomfort were the way to go. Of course, if they'd tried to force anything beyond my ability, I'd have backed off immediately! Don't let them bully you into doing anything like that again--YOU are in charge of YOUR body!

I think the "clam" is a good exercise for building back strength, but ONLY when you're ready. If it hurts, no way should you be doing it! Same thing with bridges! I hope being so uncomfortable didn't negatively impact your family lunch--sounds like they are all kind souls who understood and were able to help out. I hope you're able to rest up, ice and take enough medication to help you get back on the recovery track. Relax and have a good, restful day.
 
Thanks @Barbaraj the trouble is they are all so very pleasant! And over here while the doctors do the mechanics of the job the rest of it is very much down to good nursing and physiotherapy. I'm sure it works for most people but I have to admit I prefer the Bonesmart philosophy of not over exercising and simply walking to get through the first few weeks. I just think back to last July and doing a standing hip abduction with my unrepaired but very damaged leg. It was agony and set me back so much. But this definitely hasn't happened this time. Onward and upward. I don't feel ill any more which is wonderful. I hadn't realised how much arthritis brings you down. It's not just the barely concealed pain and lack of mobility is It?
 
@1stSurgery @bickypeg that pumpkin puree sounds worth trying! I will look for it on my next trip to the grocery store....um...I mean, my first trip to the grocery store after surgery :) Would that typically be found in the baking supplies aisle?
 
Well, that's kind of like how it was for me, @bickypeg. The OS did the surgery, directed me to do nothing for 6 weeks basically, then at that check-up (and had one at 2 weeks, with an assistant of some sort who just checked out my incision) told I could do PT if I wanted (which I did), "do what you want" and "don't gain weight", and "see you for a final check up in one year". PT pretty much took over from there, and I had just shy of 2 month's worth of PT until she basically fired me, saying she'd done what she could for me and to keep up the good work and do the prescribed exercises every other day, which I've mostly done. I am a bit frustrated that I am still so achy in my right hip if I do much more than daily activity with some exercise, and left hip is definitely grumpy 24/7. I suppose the big improvement is that I had real pain before surgery if I walked too much. After a block or two, it would be pretty painful and I'd notice myself limping. I also apparently limped at other times although I wasn't aware of it that much, but a friend or my husband would suddenly note, "you're limping" and it would pull me up. I don't think I'm limping anymore, but definitely not the "free, easy, breezy" hips I had even several years ago...heavy sigh. Let's hope it really is just a much, much longer healing process and that I will continue to improve--and you and other all other bonesmarties who are on the same recovery path.
 
Last edited:
Re your wondering whether to get out of the physio, can you defer it instead? It would be nice for you to have it after seeing the consultant, because by then your hip will be more healed plus you might welcome some support beyond the surgeon’s sign-off. I’ve done very little of the prescribed exercises, but I am quite glad to have at least one more appointment with someone I can ask if there’s anything I am worried about. I’ve phoned twice and put my appointment back. Also I used a tip from Bone-obo which was to distract the physio with a list of questions. That used the time up (and was useful too, not just time filling) so then there was only enough time for her to show me exercises, not to require multiple reps.
 
I agree @Klassy about getting advice on other things and it is good not just to be discharged with no support. I have asked lots of questions especially after the first hip when I was anxious about everything (until I found Bonesmart!) and I know they are madly busy at the moment so I am grateful. I think they have a tight schedule so she's probably keen to discharge me but I think I will try to put her off at least for a week. After all I know how to do all the exercises I just dont feel ready for most of them yet.
Poor @Barbaraj I do know how you feel. I think it may not be too far down the line before you have to bite the bullet and go for no. 2. If it's gone as far as bone on bone with the bad leg the good one has to work extra hard to support it so it must take longer for it to heal? Have you had recent Xrays?
I've only ever seen pumpkin puree in a health food shop over here @NewHip19 and haven't tried it. It must be nicer than prune juice!
Horrid dry mouth at night again which wakes me so I drink lots of water then need the loo. So annoying as I was sleeping so well but I know it's the codeine so think I may have to drop another one. But I know it isn't good for the teeth. It's all balancing one benefit against another drawback isn't It?
Finally got the tape off the incision. It looks messier than the other and slightly open at the bottom but I'm probably being neurotic again. Husband said it would be better for fresh air but with big knicks and trousers it's not very fresh down there and I was more worried about it being irritated so have put a Tena pad lightly over it for the night(It was all I had) I'll have a squeamish look at it when I get up.
Thanks for your input guys. Much appreciated.
 
Horrid dry mouth at night again which wakes me so I drink lots of water then need the loo
:doh:Happened to me so often...right when I finally found my comfortable spot..aargh.
Thank goodness all temporary.
Hang in there friend...hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @mojo! I'm reluctant to lose another codeine as my medication regime has worked so efficiently so far. Just checked with last July and I was waking every couple of hours at this stage wanting painkillers. I had to write it down as I got in such a muddle. Its been great sleeping through until recently. But it will give me the opportunity to check if I really need my present dose. Swings and roundabouts!
 
I had a grape obsession for the first few months. I knew I needed hydration and mouth also stayed dry.
They seemed to fit the bill.:)
My DH would bring all manners of grapes...Big sweet red ones, small green tart ones...my appetite wasn't the greatest but I could keep a small bowl of seedless grapes by my bedside table.
 
I have eaten an awful lot of celery although I couldn't fancy it as a bedtime snack. Guess our body knows what it needs!
 
Well, if it were me, @bickypeg, and you like celery but are bored by it--try "ants on a log" which tricks up the celery into a (sort of) higher level snack. Spread peanut butter the length of the celery and stick on a bunch of raisins. It's quite tasty and makes boring celery quite yummy. I am not sure I'm ready for Hip #2 yet. It's not bone-on-bone although at the rate I'm going it very well might be by year's end. When I go back from my one year check up in September, I may inquire about a second surgery. Frankly, I'd rather have it done sooner rather than later--why suffer needlessly? But, for now I'll just keep plugging along. Hope you are able to address the dry mouth problem so you can take the medication you need, but are able to sleep through the night which is such a wonderful thing if it can be managed. You are right, however, it's all trade-offs, and only you know what will work best for you. Good luck! PS Why drink prune juice if you can eat prunes? I think the juice is yucky, but I think prunes are like gigantic raisins and quite tasty. I always had a handful daily during those early weeks.
 
Just chipping in. I would avoid clams and bridges for some weeks.

You could also try to get the District Nurse to visit to inspect the incision. Don't wait if you have any concerns. Their number is on the gps website.
 
Celery is even nicer with large amounts of chilli hummus smeared along it @Barbaraj No, prunes are nasty in any shape or form! Was good to read the recent research from Bristol University that hip and knee replacements last very much longer than previously thought. I hope surgeons are less reticent about doing them until people are almost immobile.
I think it's OK thanks @Apricot No sign of any weeping or anything and it's not been uncomfortable this afternoon with no dressing on. I took a couple of photos this morning as it's tricky getting round to have a look and I'll do the same again tomorrow and if in doubt I'll certainly ring the nurse.
Felt very sleepy this afternoon even after a rest on the bed earlier. Only paracetamol and 1 codeine so far and feel OK. Fingers crossed for a good night.
 
Good there is no weeping. I know I was told to change it at home. Then remove it at 9 days. If all was dry to leave it off. Mine was closed with glue so it took quite a while for that to go. Fingers crossed all is really well. It’s hard to know isn’t it. Good idea taking pictures.
 
Physio came today. She was perfectly reasonable when I said I'd had a couple of poor nights (another very dry mouth) and couldn't face doing the exercises and could I be discharged? Said she would just like to see my abductions sitting down as they were so weak last time. And they were at least twice as strong! She was so pleased and said it showed how much exercises helped...I felt rather guilty as I'd done none but that was very satisfactory. And she looked at my wound and said it was fine. Haven't had a codeine since yesterday evening. Seem to be coping so far. And bought some sugar free sweets to suck as mouth is still dry. Extremely tired so back on the iron supplement and napping if I feel like it. Seems a bit of a waste of a lovely day but I've had a couple of trips in the garden. So much needs doing! It's frustrating! But I must be patient.
 
Im gathering you had a nice visit with Physio with the exception of the exercises.
It's a relief to hear she thinks your incision looks fine. Sounds like some sleep may benefit you :yawn: :sleep:
Wishing you many long naps along with a large dose of patience. Hard to come by, I know, I remember.
Just think how good you'll be feeling in the very near future.
Hugs :friends:
@bickypeg
 
:heehee:
Physio came today. She was perfectly reasonable when I said ………….Said she would just like to see my abductions sitting down as they were so weak last time. And they were at least twice as strong! She was so pleased and said it showed how much exercises helped...I felt rather guilty as I'd done none but that was very satisfactory. …….

That made me laugh - the Bonesmart Mantra rocks! Glad it went well for you :)
 
Another wakeful night and mouth still very dry. Wide awake at 4.00a.m. And realising it was probably the codeine that helped me sleep so soundly when I was first home. Wondering if I should have stopped it so suddenly although I was down to only 2 a day. Google of no help as it's all about codeine addiction. But at least paracetamol at 9.00pm has seen me through the night. Thinking perhaps the hospital should give more advice on pain relief/medication?
 
Hi @bickeypeg
Something you may want to consider is Magnesium, if you haven't already. Do a little research and see what you think. It aids in falling asleep and staying asleep amongst other things. May be worth a try...

Magnesium Glycinate supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I hope you find the time to take a nap later on. Enjoy the day! :SUNsmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom