Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

So there is another big party going on down the street a few houses away; outdoors, live music - middle eastern. Now my very strange craving appetite has just moved from apple-cake to couscous and tabouleh! They sound like they're having a lot of fun down there!
 
Been preoccupied with son who had bad tonsillitis and abscesses (better now) as it doesn't matter how old they are you still worry, especially when you can't do anything useful to help.
So time now to be neurotic again. Always had cold feet. Used to make OH scream when I got into bed. But noticed now if I sit for any length of time in my hospital approved chair my toes on both feet go slightly blue. Still barefoot for comfort. As soon as I get moving or raise them it goes. It was happening before the op I think? Had circulation tested at the hospital by specialist and also previously by chiropodist and they said pulse, circulation was fine. Registrar had referred me as he couldn't feel a pulse in foot after I'd been sitting in a very cold outpatients. His nurse found it OK with the Doppler thingy.
After my op feet were getting very hot in bed but that seems to have gone now. Googling is worrying but mostly points to circulation. Even with slippers on they seem to go slightly. Anyone else experience this? Is it something to worry about?
 
Further to that I experimented this morning and if I keep wiggling my toes it doesn't happen. This is not very restful however!:what:
Also, had a rotten night after a day in which I was very tense re sick son; in pain with bad old hip and knee. Woke up with everything hurting including new hip and lower back and 2 lots of paracetamol and ibuprofen didn't make much difference. Feeling very fed up. Can I last until the New Year without cracking up? Would it be OK in the morning to have a codeine for old hip pain?
Feeling a bit brighter after a trip to Oxfam with lots of books but didn't want to get out of the car.:umm:
 
Will be wishing for you to have a better day.:ok:
I had a sick grown daughter a few weeks ago and was asking myself why I was climbing two sets of large stairs to and from her apartment several days in a row to being her necessary items ??
She reverts back to age 5 when she is ill or I revert back to when she was 5:shrug:
 
Oh I know @mojo but it's nice to be needed! If we'd lived nearer sick son we could have babysat while his wife went to sit with him in hospital. It did make me think seriously about moving house. The 2 of us are rattling around in our 5 bedroomed former manse. And it feels quite lonely especially during the week. Country living is OK when you're fit and well but the city lights of Leeds are increasingly appealing! Theatres, cinemas, shops, people! And buses and trains for when OH is too decrepit to drive!
Do you think I can pop codeine for several months though @SurreyGirl ? More important would our GP keep prescribing it?
 
Just had a quick go at lying on my hated bed with its memory foam mattress which eats me and tried lying on each side with pillow between knees. No way. So back on my back for the near future.:gaah:
 
@bickypeg just updated my thread. All good.

Btw I am on a foam bed too. Found it great at the start but annoying me now. Still can’t sleep on op side and told won’t be able to do so for a while but managing in non op side and back and one 4am loo visit. Sleep is now much better than pre op!
 
I agree on the memory foam mattress. We have one in guest bedroom that feels great when not post op but prefer the other mattress after surgery. Too much uncontrollable "sinking" in the foam one. Hope you can find your sleep recipe @bickypeg --it does make such a difference and I think promotes healing speed. Sending you zzzz's!
 
So, shall I rejoin the Marital Bed this weekend ? A Better mattress as V-Spring, but will need good earplugs!

Cooking Duck Penang Curry tonight with lots of lovely authentic ingredients. Will be sitting down with icepack by side to chop up the ingredients. Hubby gets things out of the pantry like heavy iron woks etc!
 
Oh, @SurreyGirl that sounds delicious! Right up my alley. :)
Yes go to the better mattress and use earplugs. Those soft gelatinous ones you mold to fit your ear canal are very good and effective.
Meanwhile I can almost smell this cooking you're about to do! I'm still waiting on breakfast "delivery" here. Will tackle the stairs later after icing has numbed things.
 
Good luck with the stairs! Nursing a small vodka and slimline tonic. Had to tell hubby off as I am trying to stick to singles when I do have them and he keeps sneaking in doubles+. So I asked him to serve the drink in a smaller glass so it tastes strong but doesn't do me too much harm. Naughty hubby! I am down nearly half a stone from my pre-op weight and want to keep going..

Re earplugs. I actually have special musician ones that silence a brass section so are ideal for hubby snoring. When I am sleeping downstairs I can STILL hear him!

Off to chop stuff now… I have a basic curry kit from our Waitrose supermarket but then add, ginger, krachai, galangal, lemon grass and lime leaves to taste so it ends up tasting quite authentic…

Have a great evening…
 
@SurreyGirl you are listing all my favorite things!!! :loveshwr:

That's me at the door!

Hubby likes to cook with green curry often. But he's the type of cook who uses no recipes, writes nothing down and so each time ...it's a new creation. He will forget what he did last time so we seldom can have duplicates! Can't complain though, he has a talent for cooking - only matched by my talent for eating! An appreciative eater I am. :)

Have a great dinner, save leftovers for the fellow hungry hippys!!
 
@bickpeg I worry about our kids just as much as I did when they were young. The stakes get higher as they get older, so the worries intensify! It is really hard not being able to help them, or being too far away to help them! Nasty tonsils with abscesses are just awful and very painful. I find our older kids listen with one ear to our advice, half heartedly follow through, and then call again when they are desperate!:gaah: That frontal cortex doesn't fully form until 25...but later in boys sometimes. So frustrating!! Hope your son is feeling better soon!
 
@bickypeg @SurreyGirl and @1stSurgery I hear you on the bed thing. We went through three well-made, firm (we prefer) mattresses in three years, while I was trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with me! Felt like I was living the princess and the pea story! I'd get so uncomfortable that I'd go down to the third bedroom and sleep on a twin bed, which for some reason was firmer, until hubs got the point that I was really not a happy camper, and we'd go mattress shopping again! I think I would have slept on concrete slab with a yoga mat on top of it, but by that time, it hurt to sleep on either hip, and of course I hated back sleeping anyway...so was a bit of a wreck! When I finally saw the ortho surgeon and was weighing the pros and cons of trying meloxicam and/or cortisone shots, vs. proceeding directly to surgery (the xrays were terrible, but I was in shock about the surgery advice, as GP was being such a dink about referring me), OS asked, "Are you having a hard time sleeping at night?" I almost fell off the chair and told him about purchasing three new mattresses in three years! I should send my GP the bills for those...I digress....

Fast forward to post op RTHS...found the bed sleeping hard. I am longing to get back in my bed now....but am going to wait to try again for a few more days. The recliner has served me well...but I want to try sleeping on my left side before the next surgery. I can feel the urge to want to turn onto my left side in the recliner, but don't have a between the legs pillow handy!! Can't believe the gyrations we go through to get comfortable sleep wise! UGH!

All I can say is, the firmer the better for me re: beds. Sinking into a bed has zero appeal! Have you tried putting a piece of plywood between the mattress and box spring? It might help a little bit? Leading up to surgery, I found putting a queen size pillow, nothing smaller would work, between my legs for side sleeping really helped.

So hope you figure the sinky bed thing out. Sleep is essential for us hippies!
 
Also those small memory foam between the knees pillows made especially for orthopedic needs work well. I used between knees during OA pre surgery nights but also use now to prop up one knee to relieve back strain when on back. And behind neck when I want to prop up in bed. They're good for so many things I ordered two and use them constantly. Sometimes, early out from THR, you can use two of them wedged btwn legs to do side sleeping. But I found side sleeping could only be for about 30-60 mins in first few months.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom