Guest viewing is limited

TKR bfw7's Recovery Thread - post op panic, anxiety

Yay for driving! Which knee did you have done? Mine was the right one and I was 7 weeks out before I felt confident enough to drive.
 
My partial was on my left knee and I didn’t drive (my automatic car) until I was 11 weeks! :yikes: And that was because I had to.

I just wasn’t mentally ready.

My husband was retired and did 99% of the driving before my surgery anyway, so there wasn’t any need for me to drive.
 
@bfw7
I will be fine at work....it is the boss and two co-worker I am dreading.

I sit most of the day and can manipulate tasks in my favor.....whatever that means. Walk/sit, drive/no drive etc.

Hurrah for your short trip.....driving makes you feel more normal.
 
It sounds like many of you were not driving very soon after the surgery. My little trip down the road cost me and I am sore and stiff and have been off the pain meds since yesterday morning. That could have something to do with the swelling and pain.

Poctcd..I can understand your problem with the other people at your work. Many moons ago, I was a travel agent and worked in an office. The women were so mean there and loved gossiping about the clients. I teach all grades in the towns I work in but it seems like I do a lot of subbing for middle school and high school. They also like to call me in to help with special ed kids which I enjoy.

My knee surgery is on the left knee. I was home for college (a long time ago) and got into a motorcycle accident. They kept trying to get the swelling down but they ended up taking out my cartilage. I was told that they would have to do surgery eventually but it took until now until I became bone on bone. My running days are over but they say I can at least walk fast.

I don't think I have asked this before, but does anyone have memory problems post op? I am having a lot of trouble remembering things all of a sudden and it is so frustrating.
 
You're only a little over a month from surgery--it could be the fatigue affecting your thought processes a bit.
 
Thanks kneeper...I am definitely exhausted and not sleeping well. I sure hope that is it.

I also stopped taking my meds recently and am having some discomfort although that has nothing to do with my memory. The sudden memory loss started weeks ago.
 
I find that pain has a real effect on my memory, as does surgery in general and the meds. Your body is so busy healing that everything else seems secondary, especially memory and thinking. Even as the pain subsides, your body is still very focused on the healing. Not sleeping can also contribute to trouble thinking and remembering. On days when I sleep badly, I know I'm not my usual clever self, even if there isn't anything like surgery going on.
 
luvcats...What you say makes sense. I think we all have felt the trauma of the surgery and like you say, the body has to heal. It could well be that. Hopefully, everything will calm down as time goes on.
 
I think for me the lack of sleep impacts everything. Interest in talking to friends, doing the grocery shopping, cooking a meal.

BUT....the memory loss thing.....you say it started weeks ago? Before TKR?

@luvcats I can’t imagine you as “not my clever self.”:) :-) (:
 
For those of you who have experienced vision problems after surgery, can I ask if any of you have been checked for cataracts?
 
For those of you who have experienced vision problems after surgery, can I ask if any of you have been checked for cataracts?
When I had my eyes checked at 6 weeks post op I was told for the first time that I had the start of one in each eye. 2 years later they are still tiny and nothing needs to be done yet.
 
Jamie..I have never been checked for cataract problems but it sounds like it would be a good idea. I have to get new glasses at some point anyway but I have to drive a bit too far.

Jockette..I hope that I am as fortunate as you regarding cataract problems.

Poctbd...The loss of of memory didn't happen until after surgery. At least I think it was...I can't remember!! So what day do you have to go to go back to work and are you ready for it?. Oh and cheers to you, too.
:martini:
 
@bfw7
I “Return to Jail” on the 19th-8 weeks to the day of surgery.
I am ready as far as TKR. I sit most of the day.
Unfortunately my boss and two co workers will still be there.

I have been looking around but if I accepted a job while out, the company would cancel my health insurance.
I would then be liable for the entire TKR bill without insurance adjustments...so looking will wait. The hospital alone was $114K.

So “Back to Jail” I go.....I will be very busy with two projects that are due by mid September and I am probably behind 300 emails. Sigh....

Thanks for the toast!
 
I went to the eye doctor for my yearly appointment three months before my surgery. I did need new lenses with a stronger prescription in my reading glasses, but otherwise my eyes were fine then!
 
I don't think I have asked this before, but does anyone have memory problems post op? I am having a lot of trouble remembering things all of a sudden and it is so frustrating.
It could be fatigue, but it could also be the "brain fog" that many of us suffer after surgery.

We usually advise people not to make any important decisions, or to go on-line shopping, until this brain fog has cleared. For some, it clears quickly. For others it can take a couple of months.
 
I had fatigue & brain fog...its gone away over time. Once I started sleeping more/better it cleared up faster.
 
Celle and Ladyala...thank you for the advice and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have something to do with sleep. I woke up at 3:30 am and cannot get back to sleep. Plus the panic attacks are all day and almost unbearable.

It has been a long 6 weeks and I may have to call my doctor even though he has already prescribed meds...they just aren't working. I am getting frustrated.

Poctbd...I am sorry you have to go to work soon. The more time you have off, the harder it is to go back to jail/work.
 
@bfw7
I don’t know if you heard it but I heard angels sing yesterday.
My boss called and the worst horrible coworker quit! I deal with the other one maybe once a month. The one that quit was daily.

I think my boss will be eager to fix this mess. He hired the evil woman without the needed experience because she had “potential “ over my strident objections. He called me to volunteer to do something I do that is totally not his job because I have a vacation scheduled. So....we shall see. He may be a better boss after my 9 months of misery.

I am more concerned about you. I have never had a panic attack but I do know that my reactions to stimuli are exaggerated when I have limited/no sleep. I hope the doc can assist you in fixing it. Six weeks is a long time to be frustrated and in pain.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom