Guest viewing is limited

TKR bfw7's Recovery Thread - post op panic, anxiety

Hi there .. if you happen to be awake or can’t sleep know that everyone here will support you and or advise as you know.. I didn’t have panic attack but during the night when nurse took my vitals I needed to use bathroom, fainted and promptly toppled over on my nose , thankfully not my knee! I woke up to some male nurse trying to resuscitate me by cpr thinking I was already on the far side.. I said Stop! I’m right here! Of course they transferred me to ER and next day I had emergency pacemaker, turns out my heart rate was very low and gave everyone a scare including me! I am only telling you this story because for few weeks after I would remember this incident and recalling the seriousness it almost gave me panic attacks, it isn’t any fun and I understand. I also went through several days of anxiety and those famous post surgical blues that is talked about. It’s a real thing. My hubby is also retired so was here to help but he’s having his own back problems, this forum has helped me more than anything. Try to stay positive, it gets better!! :console2:
 
Thank you, knee#2.....I have been unable to sleep since midnight and the hours have passed by slowly. I read your post sometime in the middle of the night and I was so thankful to know that all of you are out there and understand.
 
Wishing you well from Minnesota. Just know that we all feel a loss of control with this whole knee recovery. I've had bouts of anxiety and depression before the surgery and the Oxycodone and lack of activities while trying to recover makes it worse. But... it will get better, it always does. But... it will take a while; patience is the key. Your picture is so nice and freeing. Maybe you can visualize yourself running on that beach when the panic sets in - the wind in your hair, the ocean smell, the sand under your feet, freedom... Ahhh... :yes:
 
Hello...I am back after 2 doctor visits (one to my GP and the other to my OS) and am feeling much better! I went to my GP's nurse yesterday and she prescribed some medication for panic attacks and nausea. I have my moments but feel like a different person. Those dreaded panic attacks and better for now.

The OSs office took out my staples today. I was really nervous about that because my knee is quite touchy but it went okay. It is rather worn out tonight but I have cut down on pain meds and I suppose that is part of it.

TortiTabby-Hi from Idaho. I did look at my picture and tried to go back in time...it helped a little bit. I sure love all the cat pictures.
 
Depression is digging me a bit. I have anxiety too but never had a panic attack. Glad you are doing better!
 
Ladyala-Yes, I am having the same problem with depression. I think the whole thing is frustrating because you lose your independence and have to rely on other people so much. I can't wait to move on!

I am really sore tonight after having the staples out today but I guess that goes with the territory.
 
Thanks Benay...patience is definitely a requirement.
 
@bfw7 I got my staples out yesterday too. Soreness and a little extra sensitivity are my experience too. I think it will pass quickly though.
 
@bfw7 So happy to read that you are feeling better. Ice and elevate to help ease the soreness after staple removal.
 
After a painful night, I will definitely ice the knee. It is extremely sore this morning and I had a dream that I was walking all over a big mall and it was causing pain in my knee. Sometimes, you can't even get relief if you are sleeping!
 
I remember those nights. Always kept a pill or two next to my bed so I could reach for instant relief. It's only recently I've stopped. I see as nice lazy day for you @bfw7 with loads of ice.
 
Best o' luck to you. Sounds like things are heading in the right direction. I am 1 year post-op. I remember those first few weeks, which were painful and tough. This too shall pass.
 
I have this pathetically short memory for the bad times, I tried to keep a complex day by day journal here on my thread so if I ever had to do the other leg I can revisit and know somewhat the expectation.
 
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks op for me. I am cutting done on my pain pills (oxys) quite quickly. I was taking my meds every 6 hours (5mg) and my pharmacist suggested I drop down to 5 mg every 12 hours. It seems kind of drastic but I am trying to do so...I am going on 11 hours and am swollen and it is painful. Not sure whether I should follow the pharmacist's instructions or give in to my pain. It's not unbearable but it is not very comfortable either.
 
I agree that your pharmacist's advice on cutting back was too drastic. What he advised would be halving your pain mes at one stroke, and that's too sudden.

Instead of extending the amount of time between doses to 12 hours, gradually stretch the time by one hour every couple of days - 6 hours apart today, 7 hours apart in two days' time, 8 hours apart two days after that, etc.

If you have pain, you need pain relieving medication. It's not a matter of giving in to the pain.
Have you discussed a schedule for cutting back your pain meds with your GP? He/she may be able to prescribe something milder, but still effective, to help you cut back. I don't know what you're taking now, so I can't advise you more fully.


By the way, I moved your post, above, from Rockgirl's thread and into your own thread. By asking for advice there, you were derailing her thread, as people would have started answering you, and the focus of that thread should be on Rockgirl's recovery.

So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here, on your thread.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Can you do that, please?
 
Thank you, Celle...thank you for fixing the thread. I may change the title at some point but it is okay for now.

Thank you so much for your advice. That makes so much more sense than what the pharmacist told me to do. I actually have a regular appointment with my GP tomorrow so checking with him on other meds will work out really well.

I really want to get off the meds but I sure didn't want to go through unnecessary pain if I don't have to.
 
Hi @bfw7 ,

As if the surgery is not enough you have the panic attacks (PA). I totally understand what you are going through, having suffered with them for years now, and averaging 1 ambulance trip to the ER per year... The symptoms are just too close to heart attack that my GP has always said if in doubt...

When this first started happening one of the worst things was not getting over the previous attack, but waiting, wondering when it would happen again... It sure is a mind game, that I am only now partially in the game !

I have medication to help and seems to do ok, I also got a blood pressure machine to reassure myself I am ok. It's hard, no doubt.

Do you have a history of PA ? Or has it just happened now ?

Anyway, I hope you sort it out, there is enough going on with the recovery without this happening :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom