TKR bfw7's Recovery Thread - post op panic, anxiety

@bfw7
Hey surgery buddy....how is it going? Are you seeing improvements?
 
Hi Atlas-It's nice to know that I am not alone and I am glad to hear that you are doing better as far as panic attacks go. I always worry about my blood pressure while they are happening and a machine sounds like a great way to be reassured.

I have actually had panic attacks for years but much more short lived. I was on the back of a motorcycle when I was in college and got in a bad accident. My knee was a mess and they had to take the cartilage out which is why I was bone on bone before my surgery.

I started out feeling very weird when I tried to drive my car on the highway after that and thus, began my panic attacks. I have not been able to drive on a major highway since then which is a huge inconvenience. I also used to have them in general for no reason that I knew of. I didn't always even know what they were half the time.
 
Hi Luvcats. (I love cats, too.) No, I have not heard about iron being a problem. Sounds very interesting and worth looking into. I stopped taking vitamins before surgery because I thought I wasn't supposed to and have not taken any since. That could be significant, too.

Hi Poctdb- It's so nice to have a surgery buddy! My Pt says I am doing well but I get discouraged. Because I did no research before surgery and no one explained anything to me, I stupidly assumed that I would be walking miles by 2 weeks. I sure was in for a surprise! Since I am cutting down on pain meds, I am in a lot of pain but am trying to do more such as walking around my yard and I use the stairs frequently. I think the first 2 weeks were the worst and felt a lot better by Week 3, getting those panic attacks under control (for the most part anyway..they are not completely gone) really made a huge difference. How are YOU doing?
 
I just did some research and it's very true that low iron can cause panic attacks! Also if you are low in calcium, Vitamin B6 or other nutrients It can happen as well. A person's diet with adequate nutrients is important. I could barely choke down food the first 3 weeks and lost about 10 pounds. Once I was able to calm the nausea down and eat, I gained back 4 pounds of weight and started feeling better. Also I am taking medications that helps prevent panic attacks. I find all of this to be very interesting.
 
@bfw7
Surgery buddy....I posted on my own thread.
I tried to figure out how to send you a link but it defeated me. I have been asked not to answer on others threads.
I am glad those panic attacks are lessening.
I too noticed a huge difference in week 3. I have been lucky, no pain since about Day 8, just stiffness which I can control with OTC meds.
Will check in with you later in the week. Deanna
 
Thanks, Celle for bringing over the thread.

Poctdb-I read your thread and you are pretty punny...oh bad one. That is great that you haven't had pain in so long. I have pain all the time, more or less, especially when I sit up and don't ice. I was at my daughter's house today for about 4 hours and she just brought me home. I was really sore and am icing as I type.
I can't drive for a couple more weeks because I have a stick shift car which is very frustrating. I hate having to depend on my husband...next week I start outpatient PT and that is going to make everything harder.
 
Since I am cutting down on pain meds, I am in a lot of pain but am trying to do more such as walking around my yard and I use the stairs frequently.
Stairs can be pretty hard on a recovering knee. Are you using stairs by necessity or because you see it helping your recovery? I did some stairs but kept it pretty limited for the first weeks. In fact, even after I returned to work I tried to pace myself on stair use.
 
Hi Kneeper….I have been walking up and down stairs since I arrived home. (2 days after my surgery) I sleep upstairs so I am using the stairs and there are 13 of them in so I go up and down them by necessity. I usually use them a few times a day to go grab various sundry items. I also have stairs to the basement but seldom use those...they are steep and there is concrete below. I never considered it to be a problem but it is probably hard on me.

I am still have trouble sleeping. I am taking something for it but I still wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. I finally give up and lay there by morning. This is getting crazy so I may call my GP today and see if there isn't another solution to the problem.
 
Hi Kneeper….I have been walking up and down stairs since I arrived home. (2 days after my surgery) I sleep upstairs so I am using the stairs and there are 13 of them in so I go up and down them by necessity. I usually use them a few times a day to go grab various sundry items. I also have stairs to the basement but seldom use those...they are steep and there is concrete below. I never considered it to be a problem but it is probably hard on me.

You might try to think ahead about what you need and minimize your trips. Even have a little bag you can put things in?
Or just count those trips up and down the stairs as "PT" when you factor in your exercise and activity and reduce something else. For example on my PT days, I usually didn't also take a walk.
 
I'm glad the panic attacks are improving. I only have generalized anxiety, not usually panic attacks, but even that is draining. I'm always really interested in how nutrition affects our health and ways we can support it with food rather than meds. Which isn't to say I don't love my tramadol and a good antibiotic when they are needed. lol
 
Kneeper...that is kind of what I am doing. I started walking outside every day for a short while and have the stairs to negotiate as well so I have basically been doing that instead of surgery. I should try a bag which would make the trips much more efficient.

I have a new question...I am trying to wean off of oxycodone and have slowly taken less every few days. Even though I still have some left, they want me to switch to 5mg hydrocodone instead. Will that seem like a sudden drop as I know 5mg of oxycodone is much stronger than the hydrocodone? I really want two to get off of the pills but am still in quite a bit of pain.
 
Last edited:
I was made to switch from oxycodone to hydrocodone at around 3 weeks. It was a significant difference. Oxycodone is stronger and better, and I would prefer it. But since my surgeon wrote the hydrocodone prescription and my GP would prefer I bite the bullet and not be on any pain medication (ha ha), I guess I'm stuck. I would rather be off the pills altogether, as well, but like you, am still in pain. I'm hoping to get in to see a pain doctor who prescribes medical marijuana.
 
I have a new question...I am trying to wean off of oxycodone and have slowly taken less every few days. Even though I still have some left, they want me to switch to 5mg hydrocodone instead. Will that seem like a sudden drop as I know 5mg of oxycodone is much stronger than the hydrocodone? I really want two to get off of the pills but am still in quite a bit of pain.
Although there was some belief that Hydrocodone gives less pain relief than Oxycodone, studies have revealed that is not the case.
This is the link to one study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15805317

I was switched to Hydrocodone after the first week and I didn't experience any increase in pain.
 
floridoris...I don't think my area has medical marijuana. I have heard that people really do get pain relief. ..interesting thought.

Celle and poctdb...thanks so much for posting the info on hydrocodone and oxycodone..it looks as though not everyone agrees on the potency of the two drugs. For me, there is a big difference because I got so sick on the oxycodone (which I feel was stronger for me) and the hydrocodone which I have taken on and off over the years for migraines so I am more used to it, perhaps.

As far as the pain, I definitely still feel it no matter which medicine I take.
 
Hey surgery buddy...how you doing?
 
Hello Poctdb...I just realized that our surgeries were 5 weeks ago today so glad to have made it this far. I am still in a great deal of pain and am just taking medication every 12 hours.
Today is my first day of outpatient physical therapy and after reading posts on Bonesmart I will definitely not let them be too hard on me. I went before my surgery and I didn't mind the challenges that came with the exercise but of course, now is different. How is your recovery? Do you still have pain?
 
@bfw7
I have been very fortunate. I had the pain under control at about 5 days post op.
I took opiates after that only for the second In house PT visit...for all the rest an ibuprofen/Tylenol cocktail.
My string Is up to date. I posted this morning.

Let me know how outpatient PT is.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom