TKR bfw7's Recovery Thread - post op panic, anxiety

Pcctdb...You are so lucky! I can't imagine not having the pain. I will check out your thread in a short while.

So this was the day of my first outpatient physical therapy. They massaged my knee, had me try a bicycle and some other things. It was painful but bearable, I think. Of course, they want to be aggressive with the recovery and would like me to come 3 days a week but I think I only have 9 visits or so left so I will probably have to stretch them. They remembered that I would go and work out for 3 hours at the gym but I am definitely not doing anything like that now.
 
@bfw7

I think that if you listen to your body as you did when your avatar picture was taken, you will know what to do. That is a race jersey in that photo.

One of the things that Home PT did for me was to teach me the massage she did with every visit. Maybe you can have your PT show you. It is one more possible tool in the box.

I used it a lot. If stiffness was there, if it was painful off of the incision line, just after I was done icing, pretty much anytime I thought of it. I have one spot on the incision where it is bigger and deeper than all the rest of the scar line. The OS said that is the “main working hole”. My quad was a big lump right there. It was “caressed” (read rubbed like spices into meat) at least 7-10 times a day.

I know I am lucky. I thank all deities that I can think of daily and my lucky stars. My wish for you is no pain soon.
Keep me up to date....
 
I think the "standard" PT will tell you is 3x/week. I didn't find that necessary. I did get some value out of PT once I learned I didn't have to do everything they wanted me to--but once or twice a week was plenty. Not confrontational, just said things like "not yet" and knew when to say "enough." :)
 
could someone change my thead...I wanted it to say "bfw7's recovery thread post op panic anxiety''
 
I will ask a moderator to do that for you.
 
Thank you, Celle and Jockette..I appreciate your help.
 
I hit 5 weeks post op yesterday and what a wild recovery. The first three weeks were the hardest for me, especially the first 2 weeks. And those darn panic attacks were a big part of it. I have had them the last few days but they are a little easier to control. I still think of the 4th of July weekend and it was the scariest. The doctor's office was closed for a 4 day weekend and there was no one to talk to.. Everyone was out of town and everything with me seemed very out of control. Thankfully, that has passed.

I mentioned that I went to physical therapy as an outpatient for the first time yesterday. I feel really sore today and it hurts to do the exercises at home they wanted me to do. I have a lot of swelling anyway and the pain hasn't gone away so I am not sure it was PT that caused it.

Jockette...I read your thread and I try to compete with myself during recovery. I also normally do way too many things at the gym and I started out with the same attitude post op, I think I have convinced myself that it is definitely something that I can do for now. The pain and swelling take away the desire to compete. I also ended up with terrible vision. I have reading glasses but even with those I have a very tough time trying to read my books. I think that it why I haven't been reading nearly as much as normal. Hopefully I can get go the eye doctor soon and get another pair of glasses.

I was curious, at what point do I stop using ice? The ice packs don't last very long this time of year. I also wonder, will the poor eyesight I have now go away on it's own. I already need to buy a new pair of distance glasses and hate to buy an extra pair but I will if I must.
 
Last edited:
I also ended up with terrible vision.
I also wonder, will the poor eyesight I have now go away on it's own
My vision never did return to what it was before surgery. While it’s nice to not need glasses for distance now, I miss being able to see close up without glasses.
 
at what point do I stop using ice?
I have a lot of swelling anyway and the pain hasn't gone away so I am not sure it was PT that caused it.
I would continue to ice as long as you still have a lot of swelling and pain. Elevate as much as you can, also. 5 weeks is early days. :console2:

To help keep your pain level down back off on the PT, that will also help reduce your swelling.
 
I was still icing occasionally at 6 months after an extra busy day. There's nothing wrong and everything right with icing! It helps reduce pain and swelling. That's what we all need.
 
@bfw7
My thought for icing is “If it feels good....do it!” You hurt nothing by icing.

As a competitive person and your surgery buddy, the change in the thought process of “If I do one more set, one more x, one more lap, it will be better” is something that is hard to wean yourself away from.

It takes practice but I found that the “competition with me” leaves me farther from the desired end result.
I found when I stilled the voice in my head urging me on....everything got easier.

It wasn’t easy....and I still have to tell it to be silent occasionally.
 
Jockette and Sistersinhim….Thanks for your advice on icing. I used to hate icing but now I totally welcome it.

Poctdb…Hi surgery buddy!! I think I have finally stopped competing with myself for now and that is probably a good thing.

Yesterday I tried a longer walk (a mile) and I could do it without any problem. I ended up getting over 5000 steps yesterday. Normally I would think that was nothing but I don't feel that way now. I haven't heard from my PT place since I was there on Monday and they were going to check my insurance and call me back. I am wondering if my insurance won't cover any more visits. I guess I should try to call them and see what my fate is. I want to drive my stick shift car and they said they would help me with that.
 
Why go back to PT. You're doing great on your own.
 
@Jockette, is vision change a common issue after this surgery? I noticed in the past week that I have trouble seeing close up even while wearing my reading glasses. I didn't think it could be related to the surgery until I read bfw7's and your posts.
 
@floridoris I don’t think a vision change is common, but I’ve met a few members here that it has happened to.

Very early on my surgeon thought it was the Dilaudid that might have caused it. He switched me to tramadol and for one day my vision seemed to get clearer but then blurred again. On Day 11 I dropped all prescription pain medication in hopes to get my vision back, but it didn’t happen.

Finally at about 6 weeks I had an eye exam for new glasses as my then bifocals didn’t work for me as both distance and close up changed. The optometrist had no idea what caused the change. (I had wanted an appointment with an ophthalmologist, but the wait was 4 months.)

My husband told me I was at the age that my eyes would change and I’d need reading glasses, but I don’t think that happens drastically overnight at the same time as a major surgery. No one can convince me that it has nothing to do with the surgery, especially now with you saying it happened to you also. I think that’s maybe 4 of us now, though I’m not sure I remember who the other members are.
 
My eyesight also got worse and didn't come back to where it was. No one seems to know why some of us have this problem with our sight afterward and some don't.
 
@bfw7
Good for you....5000 steps. A toast...:cheers:
I have not done that many as of yet.....topped out at about 2500..... I am trying to increase by about 1000 a week till I “Go Back to Jail” (work) on the 19th.
I am really happy for you.
PT is your call....but I would want to know if they could help me with a stick shift car....driving for me is critical.
 
sisterinhim-You have a good point about physical therapy. I did call them and they are still waiting for my insurance to go through. At this point, I don't really care whether it does or not.

It's crazy that we are all having vision problems after surgery...can it really be just a coincidence? I thought at first it was because of the meds I have been taking but now I am not so sure. Mine has really taken a turn for the worst, mostly up close. I can't even read food labels or my fitbit..it was never like this before but at least my reading glasses help a little bit. I really should be going to the eye doctor. On a more positive note, I got into my car and slowly drove down my road and back with the stick shift. I have been practicing by going up and down the stairs a few times although I still need the assistance of my cane.
 
Hi Pocdtb..after I posted I saw your post. I hope you are ready and able by the time you need to go back to work. I am a substitute teacher so at least I have until after Labor Day weekend or can decide not the accept jobs. I am pretty busy working during the school and will have to be sure I can handle the kids! No kindergarten for me for a while!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom