Guest viewing is limited

TKR bfw7's Recovery Thread - post op panic, anxiety

@Celle...Thank you. If I am still not doing this right, let me know.

@Podtb...I am so glad that you don't have to deal with your dreaded co-worker! It's going to be hard enough to work without having people problems. I have no idea if I will go back to teaching at the first of September. I do so many different jobs and some may be tough to do.

I went back to the doctor this last week and they finally found something that helps the panic attacks! Yay! I feel better and it's a lot more comfortable. They haven't been able to help my inability to get a good night's sleep so I must get it figured out before the new school calendar starts.

I have another big project coming up the last part of September which might be pretty tough for me to pull off I have already paid in advance to do a vintage market I have so many different things to take. The setup is exhausting the first day and then you run your booth for two full days which means a lot of standing. If I don't do it, I will lose over $100 so I have to pull it off. Carrying all the heavy items from the basement and into my car, let alone unloading everything and setting it up down there. Lucky for me.. the venue is a mile and a half down the road.

My knee still really hurts but I have been trying to use it frequently. I still haven't tried to drive to town but one of these soon days, maybe it will feel right.
 
I have another big project coming up the last part of September
Well you have another month or so, so there will be improvement with your knee.

If it was me I would start now to line up help, to bring things up from the basement/ load car/unload there/ set up/then reverse the process when the show is done. I think it’s going to be tough to pull this off by yourself.

And, if I couldn’t find any help, I’d forfeit the $100 (not that I have money to burn) and consider it well spent in not having to put my 3 month old knee under such stress, if my knee was not up to it.

I had a situation at 4 months post op that extremely stressed my knee over a weekend and it took a full month to even begin to improve. My “fun” weekend was not worth the price I paid in pain, swelling, and drastically reduced ROM.

If you take care of your knee in these early months you will heal well and be able to do lots of things when it’s healed. But if you push it past it’s limits, it will fight back, and the knee will always win.
 
@Celle...Thank you. If I am still not doing this right, let me know.
I think you've got it now. You do have to make sure you spell the name correctly of the person you want to tag.
That's why your tag to Pocdtb didn't work.
 
@Celle...and to think I was an excellent speller while I was still pre-op :heehee:

@Jockette..I basically have my grown daughter the two days of the show, but not on set up day. It will take me a
long time to set up, definitely will be tougher with the new knee. My husband isn't involved in the show but will help me to get some of the things down there and pick them back up. I used to sell all kinds of items on Ebay but I overstocked myself and I have a basement SO full. What you said about the knee makes sense but I hate to not be there. If I don't use the space, the person in charge will re-sell my booth area anyway and that just doesn't feel fair to me. I was supposed to be in the spring show but was having a fair amount of pre op pain so I decided to do this one...silly me...I am in a lot worse pain at the moment.
I will come back on the boards when it is over and I will probably say that I shouldn't have done that!


I don't know when I am going to start substitute teaching yet.

Also our fair will be here soon and my daughter and I always have fun attending the country concert...We line up early to get the front row seats and suddenly the door is pushed open and everyone runs toward the front. We always get a good spot but it will mean hours and hours of standing and then hanging on for dear life! And I won't be doing any running!
 
Last edited:
@bfw7
So glad that those panic attacks are being lessened. High five to the doc!

I go to craft shows selling my mothers sewn items. I made sure my first show was not until 12 weeks post TKR. (9/21) I have a show every Saturday but one until Thanksgiving.
My items are all in 5 rolling suitcases and I can sit most of the day in the booth. I have a 100 mile round trip drive for this show.
I have no stairs to carry items up but I will have tables to load/set up and the car to fill and empty.

This is the only show I will participate in that does not have teens to “fetch and carry”. I do only fundraising shows usually for churches. I agree with @Jockette about lining up help and possibly forfeiting the entry.....

If you do this show, my bet is you will probably be back on the board posting that you are regretting the show. I hope I am wrong...good luck.
 
@Poctdb...I know I am taking a huge risk if I do this market. I take so many different things to the show and I am talking a lot of items! It's a short trip but hard on me when I am doing well so I know it won't be easy. I am trying to get more help setting up the day before so as long as the person doesn't flake on me, as she has in the past. I definitely am going to have to get stronger before then but I plan to take it slowly. I only have a chance twice a year to do this, so against my own better judgement, I will probably try to give it a shot.

I went back to PT yesterday and it wasn't too bad although they did push a little. They are kind there and if I asked them to stop doing something, I know they would comply.
 
Long time, no talk. How has everyone been? It will be two months tomorrow since my surgery and in retrospect there were a lot of Highs and Lots of Lows. I am glad to have two months behind me.
I have been walking the track at the high school every few days. The other day I pushed myself and walked 90 minutes without stopping and by the end of my day I had gotten in 5+ miles. Probably not the best idea.
I have been to PT twice this week and it has gone well, I guess. I am always sore by the time I leave but yesterday I kind of enjoyed it. They suggested that I not do more than two miles of walking at one time...probably a good idea.

School starts a week from Tuesday and I have no idea when I will go back. So far only 2 jobs have come through and I didn't take either one of them but I think I am a bit braver now and may try for the next one. I just hope no one knocks me over.
 
Wow :wow: Wow! 5 miles! I don’t think anyone dare compare our knee :flabber: to yours! I’d probably be laying down on the track by then! But kudos to you if it didn’t bother you too much! I know walking is one of best things to do but my energy level is just not there yet. Yes I agree about the hope that when we’re out in public no one knocks us over!
 
Wow....5 miles...!? You rock!
That is not me.....I have tried only a mile....good for you!
 
Ok superwoman, 5 miles?? Yeesh, I'd be in traction or something!
 
5 miles?
:holysheep: :thud:

I can't even remember the last time I was able to walk that far. Good for you!
 
Thank you so much for the kudos. Believe me, I am no rock star. I walked 4 of the miles on the track and was feeling pretty tired and sore by the time I was done. The last mile just happened during the rest of the day. I am going to try 3 miles today as the PT suggested. He thought anymore was too much at once and I have to agree plus my knee has been really swollen...self inflicted, though.
 
Well you are a rock star here! Even the suggested three miles are :tada: my iPhone records my steps if I carry it around with me but so far I’ve only logged little over 1200 steps day and I thought that was awesome :whistle:
 
@Poctdb...I thought I responded to this question already. I am so sorry. I did the Vintage Market and with a little help I was able to pull it off, I was exhausted and sore but I was able to see a lot of people I knew and many I didn't. That part was fun. I didn't sell enough to get a profit but had fun. I am just so Thankful to be done!

I will update soon!
 
Hello...hope all is well with everyone. I have been walking every day, anywhere from 2,000 steps to 10,000. I am still having knee pain and swelling and wonder if it is agitated by exercise. It doesn't seem to get any worse or any better when I walk but am trying to figure out why I am having so much pain. Feedback would be welcomed.
 
I am still having knee pain and swelling and wonder if it is agitated by exercise.
Yes your knee could be objecting to all that exercise. Are you icing and elevating after it?

Remember this recovery can take up to one year or more. Pain and swelling are normal to some degree at this point.
 
Your knee is less than 4 months old, that's not even 1/3 of the way healed. Treat your knee gently.
 
Happy Hollidays,

Im trying to gather info and get experience from people under 40 that have had a TKR...

Just some generic questions really...

How old were you when you had it? How is it holding up? Are you able to do whatever you want now? Mainly looking to see if you can do stuff like surf and even wrestle around on the ground if you wanted. Do certain movements cause any pain? etc...

Im 38 and have been told that my knee is beyond saving by two doctors and they want me to wait until I’m older to get a TKR I don't really want a knee replacement and even if I did I don't know how to go about strong arming my insurance if the doc won’t approve.

Anyway, before I even go down the TKR street i heard there may be people on this forum younger than me with joint replacement I would like to hear some stories from people around my age or younger that have had one. Starting to do my research and the internet says they only last 10-15 years and then I will most likely need a revision.

A little info on me.. I’m 38, 190, 5’11” Brazilian JiuJitsu black belt, so I like to wrestle . I’m pretty active and about two months ago knee gave out. I have had history with this knee due to post trauma osteoarthritis. (I have another thread asking about gelsyn injections if you want the full story on it )

Any insight would be appreciated,

Thanks for reading.
 
Merry Christmas to everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in a long time and wanted to say Hello!" I did have a question, too. Last week I went to my doctor to get a 6 month x-ray for my own benefit. It's healing slowly but then I lost my balance the last two nights in a row and fell hard on it. Has anyone had this happen and if so, what did you do about it?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom