Guest viewing is limited

Bent out of shape....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love reading the Pre-Ops. Some are scared, some aren't. But the one thing that seems to be uniform is no matter how much experience is offered up in the suggestions of recovery time, most are in disbelief of how long recovery takes, or animate about how they are different and therefore sure their efforts will result in much quicker recovery. Especially when it comes to returning to work. Hey, just read my pre-op posts. What a loudmouth I was then. (I know, I know.... I still am) So sure I had it all figured out. But boy was I hat in hand desperately seeking advice and much more attentive to listening after surgery. And thankfully, my fellow BoneSmarties helped me tremendously during those tough times.

Historian,
Everyone here has been tactfully (due to my big mouth, I'm usually less tactful) trying to impress you with the difficulty of a BTKR, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears or overzealous expectations. Don't paint yourself into a corner. They are all absolutely correct. 8 weeks is absolutely ridiculous. If your back to full time work, good as new at 8 weeks after BTKR, I'll send you the Big "S" to sew on the front of your shirt and cape. And doped up on Oxycodone at 8 weeks is considered DUI.......even on a bicycle. So gettin around might be tough too. (heaven knows I was still using 'em way past 8 weeks)

Also, when weighing risks between TKR or BTKR, there are lots of issues to be considered. Some already mentioned to you and many I'm sure your OS went over with you. I figured I'd throw in an important consideration. As you have stated in your thread, you have lost a considerable amount of weight, which is fantastic. However, your history puts you in a category at risk of heart or artery disease...... See a Cardiologist.!! Get a treadmill test. Minimize your risk. I know, I've been there. Regardless what anybody says.....it's your life. You be sure.

Hey, congrats on the surgery date. And good luck with the surgery. But do yourself a big favor and read, read, read in the library here. And listen, listen, listen to the posts. Trust me, it will smooth out your recovery with fewer surprises. Enjoy the Holidays.
 
Yeah, Bill, all fat people have heart trouble. BTW, I have a resting heart rate of 50. Thanks for the advice.
 
Que Sera,Sera
We all seem to sort this experience out in our own way.
 
It's strange that the issue that gets a reaction is the weight.

I myself have been as high as 312 lbs. I had chest pains one morning on my way to work and less than 10minutes later my heart stopped due to a piece of plaque from a clogged artery that broke off and blocked bloodflow to my heart. And that was when I was only 200 lbs. and going to the gym 5 days a week. I ended up with a stent to open that artery. I guess dying restructures a person's priorities.

Here's the kicker.......you can see & feel those bent arthritic knees, but you have no idea what's lurking in that pump or pipes.

But as the saying goes......."you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink".
 
Nice way to run someone off... Seriously. He busted his butt to lose the weight he did and he has a very good grip on his health.
 
Here's the kicker.......you can see & feel those bent arthritic knees, but you have no idea what's lurking in that pump or pipes.
A few years ago a gung-ho doctor in a medical examination I was paying for said that I had (a) diabetic eye disease (b) a heart murmur and that the amount I drank meant that (c) 'I didn't care much for my life expectancy'.

Well there's a noggin of truth in (c) although I expect he'd done the usual doctor's thing and doubled what I told him :hate-shocked:. As for (a) I went to the optician the next day who laughed at the idea.

But the point was the heart. I am diabetic and have always had high cholesterol -- so I was worried. I went to a London clinic and had an examination with Electron Beam Tomography (which gives a detailed image of the chest) and an ultrasound scan of the carotid arteries.

The ultrasound tech was a beautiful young woman with fantastic silver-highlighted waist-length hair who told me, with a huge smile, that I had 'arteries like motorways'. I of course immediately fell in love with her and wanted to well never mind that let's get on to the next bit...

The doctor who discussed the tomography showed me graphs of how arterial plaque builds with age:

[Bonesmart.org] Bent out of shape....


Now you may think I'm sharing this to show off and you're probably right. The other reason is to share my relief. A high-risk prospect with zip, nowt, nothing on the horizon. It is better to get these things checked so that you know where you are, in my case obviously but one would also want to know if lifestyle changes were needed. And why shouldn't you be like me? Thirty years' cycling and red wine -- winner!

I also tell this story when I can corner medics; should I try to cut down my cholesterol? None of them yet has had a good answer :hysterical:
 
Nice way to run someone off... Seriously. He busted his butt to lose the weight he did and he has a very good grip on his health.

It was a suggestion about cardiac health & risk. Nobody knocked anybody's weight.

I'm sure he's heard alot harsher from Medical Professionals. I know I have.

I certainly apologize if I stepped on anyones toes. That was not my intention. Don't run off Historian. You will benefit trmendously from the support of the BoneSmarites and I promise to play nice. :xmasmore:
 
My surgery was rescheduled for March 8 because of a dental problem. That's been fixed, I think, and I should get signoff on Monday.
 
Cool. Nice to see you back.
... I have no idea what my new limits are going to be. Imagination is a problem for me; there's a reason I'm a writer of verity and history instead of fiction. Fortunately I have you folks to help me figure out what my new life with straight legs and working joints will be like. So keep the comments and advice coming. Please.
You wrote that on Dec 19th, when I was 13 days out.

It's now 13 weeks and I can say that BTKR WORKS! Bow legs corrected, no pain, able to ride my bike a bit already, no pain, it's great. See you there soon.
 
That's good, Historian. Not very long to wait.


Roy, your comment about the doctor "doubling what you told him" vis a vis the drink. I went to see my GP once when I decided to start Weight Watchers. While I was telling him about the content of the plan he suddenly looked up (from the papers he was reading!) and said "that's far too many eggs in a week. Cut it down to 2."

Some months later and several stones lighter and seeing him about something else, I mentioned the WW and how well I'd done. He said "You should be careful about those diets. I had a lady in here once told me she was going to eat 14 eggs a week - I told her to cut it down to 2."!!!
 
My surgery was rescheduled for March 8 because of a dental problem. That's been fixed, I think, and I should get signoff on Monday.

Pre-surgical testing and physical were fine, and should be again - although I hate having to go through it.
 
Another visual reminder of why I'm doing this.... from 2010:



I'm on the right. And I look like Quasimodo.
 
BTW, the reality of the surgery is finally sinking it. It's a week out, and I'm a mess trying to get loose ends tied up.
 
Well, look at it this way, hun - it's only for a few weeks and you'll be all back to normal again! :wink1:
 
Well, look at it this way, hun - it's only for a few weeks and you'll be all back to normal again! :wink1:
What is this "normal" of which you speak?
:th_heehee:

But there's a serious point here all the same. I was bow legged, but I think your current situation considerably worse. The adjustments my body had to make to being correct, and the aches and pains it caused, were a surprise. But they get better fairly quickly. Being able to stand straight -- wow, so good! Again so much better than expected.
 
:th_heehee:

But there's a serious point here all the same. I was bow legged, but I think your current situation considerably worse. The adjustments my body had to make to being correct, and the aches and pains it caused, were a surprise. But they get better fairly quickly. Being able to stand straight -- wow, so good! Again so much better than expected.

We'll see. It's likely my scoliosis is from my legs instead of being idiopathic. I don't mind looking like this as long as I'm straight:



68 miles on an upright 'comfort' bike did wonders for my posture that day.
 
:th_heehee:

But there's a serious point here all the same. I was bow legged....

BTW, I've found your diary a great source of information and comfort. And if you ever get to Penn's Woodlands here in the USA I'd love to ride with you. Just don't drop me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom