Guest viewing is limited

Bent out of shape....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said this before but here goes again - the reason is two-fold. One about the patient, the other about him.

Fact is, doing a bilateral requires a considerable amount of stamina on the surgeon's part. It's three to fours hours of intense physical and mental effort and concentration. That's why most of those who will do bilats tend to be the younger chaps. So the issues about higher morbidity and more recovery issues - while true - are a perfect get-out clause for those who choose not to do them. :wink1:
 
My OS does BTKRs but would not consider that as an option for me because my damage is due to RA, which has a lovely long list of other side effects and related health issues. He is willing to do my second TKA in February, however, which will be three months after the first one.

Muscle memory is challenging to overcome - I walked with my right leg completely stiff and swung it out to side before I had the TKA. I have to consciously tell myself to bend the knee and chant the mantra of "heel-toe". Pool therapy (water walking) helps.

Good luck with your consultation.
 
I have said this before but here goes again - the reason is two-fold. One about the patient, the other about him.
I hadn't seen this before...

Fact is, doing a bilateral requires a considerable amount of stamina on the surgeon's part. It's three to fours hours of intense physical and mental effort and concentration. That's why most of those who will do bilats tend to be the younger chaps.
. and I am very pleased I didn't know that! My OS is older than me by a fair margin.
 
Hi H:thumb:istorian welcome to the site a lot of great people and answers here good luck with your new knee I’ll be looking for your posting
 
I am glad that I had the BTKR done---everything was done in one fell swoop, as Macduff said in Macbeth.

My OS was rather young, but he also reviewed my health records and took that into consideration before I received the final approval from him.

Aftert the surgery, I did have two DVT's in each calf---that slowed down my recovery/PT for a while and kept me in the hospital longer.

While it was beneficial for me to have the BTKR, it was obviously not without the risks.
 
My OS does BTKRs but would not consider that as an option for me because my damage is due to RA, which has a lovely long list of other side effects and related health issues. He is willing to do my second TKA in February, however, which will be three months after the first one.

Muscle memory is challenging to overcome - I walked with my right leg completely stiff and swung it out to side before I had the TKA. I have to consciously tell myself to bend the knee and chant the mantra of "heel-toe". Pool therapy (water walking) helps.

Good luck with your consultation.

That's a big concern for me, and I think an argument in favor of BTKR. Replacing the right leave me with re-learning to walk with one 'straight' leg and one 'bent' leg with a bad knee. Honestly, I think it would be easier to learn to walk normally once than to learn it twice in six months.

As far as my pain and discomfort tolerance goes, my first Pittsburgh to DC trip was a crashing success..... when I crashed outside of Cumberland, MD. I hit the ground hard enough to break my helmet. I rode for 90 miles over two days, pulling a loaded bike trailer over a bumpy canal towpath in miserably humid conditions and camping at night ..... before I found out the pain in my left side was a broken rib. (I intend to tell this story during the consultation so the surgeon doesn't think I'm just another fat slob who lives on the sofa.)
 
good luck with the leg realinment ( srtaightening) to all who are having it done.....again its great news that this can be done..im having periodic pain, starting appx 2 thirds down my shin bone that often radiates to the top of my foot...wonder if this is common with bent legs???? .its usually pain under pressure...anyone else with bent legs have or had this problem??? i have O.A. . .knee implant sooner that later i hope... thank you ....
 
Bilateral TKR scheduled for January 26. He took one look at me and suggested it. The doctor has been doing TKR since 1986 and he told me my right leg is one of the worst he's seen.

X-rays confirm the right is in far worse shape than the left, but both are bad. The valgus in both knees should be corrected during surgery. My scoliosis, if it's not idiopathic, might be partly corrected. (BTW, one reason I stopped posting at the boards of the National Scoliosis Foundation is that some regulars spent too much time arguing if I was 'bent enough' to post there.)

Plan is five days at my local hospital, followed by a week or ten days in a local rehab hospital. Then home, and probable returning to work 8 weeks after surgery.

Already making arrangements with work, at home, etc. Gonna be a busy six weeks......
 
I'm happy for you. No arguing on your part at all. Good. Sounds like you were worried for naught my friend! Ever forward!
 
Fantastic stuff, you now have endless - often fruitless and circular - discussion replaced with a countdown. You are back in the driving seat, isn't it great?
Plan is five days at my local hospital, followed by a week or ten days in a local rehab hospital. Then home, and probable returning to work 8 weeks after surgery.
Just one suggestion, which your use of the word 'probably' hints that you already have in hand; 'return to work no sooner than 8 weeks and under such terms and conditions as my body dictates'.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom