Guest viewing is limited

Bent out of shape....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah right - so the varus in your foot is from your knee. :thumb: In that case it will be sorted with the knee replacement.
 
Gladly---until I lost 40 pounds, I was one myself! Anybody can join---the only requirement is that you love to cycle!

The first year I rode, I put in 3k miles. That despite my learning to ride as an adult and working around the defective 'equipment' you saw in the photo. I can't imagine just what I'll be able to do once I have joints that work.
 
I think its safe to say you'll have your awesome back in SPADES, brother...

No matter what weight *I* lose, I'll still be a Clyde since I've over 6' tall...
 
TKR is serious business and it's normal to be apprehensive about it. The surgeon will probably have everything straight on the table, but your muscles and nerves will "remember" the old positions and likely want to go back to them.

I had similar issues and have had to focus proper alignment. My hamstring has been tender from the unaccustomed stretch and I've experienced some hamstring cramping. You just have to work your way through it.
 
After my BTKR I had gait issues. My PT's designed some very comprehensive and, at times, arduous, drills and tasks for me to do. The saying is "Mechanics is muscle memory" and I had to retrain my muscles to regain the proper gait. Everything worked out great.
 
After my BTKR I had gait issues. My PT's designed some very comprehensive and, at times, arduous, drills and tasks for me to do. The saying is "Mechanics is muscle memory" and I had to retrain my muscles to regain the proper gait. Everything worked out great.

I've been warned that I'll have to relearn how to walk. I've developed some interesting ways of coping that will need to be unlearned.....
 
I think its safe to say you'll have your awesome back in SPADES, brother...

No matter what weight *I* lose, I'll still be a Clyde since I've over 6' tall...

Hmm. I should jump over an ATV too after I'm out of PT..... :hysterical:
 
:hate-shocked: ooooh that right leg of yours made chills go down my spine! You poor chap.
 
It wasn't so bad until 2009. Even then it wasn't until 2010 when I had the right leg lock that I considered replacement. I had Synvisc injections and did OK for a few months. Then I decided to run a 5k. (Well, fast walk.) I then did two more in the next two weeks. Bad idea. My only excuse is that when you feel like you can do anything and everything, that's just what you try to do. (Witness my attempt to ride across Pennsylvania and part of Ohio this past summer - abandoned after the first day when my back went out.)

I suspect I'm going to have considerable swelling on the right from not only the new joint but the muscle and tendon adjusting to a 'straighter' leg. I wonder how it's going to impact the rest of my body. I have mild scoliosis as well - that might not be a "true" scoliosis, but a reaction to my legs. Anyone have any experience with this?
 
I plan on riding from Pittsburgh to DC this upcoming summer on that rails-to-trails path. You will be able to ride as long as you will like to after you get everything taken care of. Cycling is a way of life for me now---even better than before my BTKR; I am sure you will be able to go farther and enjoy it more, too.

broken link removed: https://www.atatrail.org/tmi/maps.cfm

broken link removed: https://www.atatrail.org/
 
Welcome H
I am excited for you on starting the journey. You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself and those that surround you. Like all have said, it will not be easy, but it will be worth it.
 
I plan on riding from Pittsburgh to DC this upcoming summer on that rails-to-trails path. You will be able to ride as long as you will like to after you get everything taken care of. Cycling is a way of life for me now---even better than before my BTKR; I am sure you will be able to go farther and enjoy it more, too.

broken link removed: https://www.atatrail.org/tmi/maps.cfm

broken link removed: https://www.atatrail.org/

When you get closer to the time to go, if you have questions please send them to me. I've done Pittsburgh to DC three times, and ridden sections of the trails as well.
 
OK, this has been worrying me.... how hard am I going to have to argue to get both knees done at once? All through the past year I've had to struggle to convince my doctor, PT, etc, that it's both knees that are the problem, and the left is the worse. They are fixated on replacing the right because that has the big knock.

My appointment for consultation with the surgeon is the 14th and my nightmare isn't undergoing surgery..... it's not getting the surgeon to agree that I need both knees done, and either having to jump through more hoops or be told "No" to surgery at all.
 
I broached the question about the BTKR with my OS---some will do them, others, as a rule, will not; it depends on the OS and your health, I guess. I was lucky---like you, both of mine needed to be done, and I didn't really want to have the one-two-punch of surgery/rehab/surgery/rehab. I am not sure what your OS's approach is; just have a polite "sit-down" with him and explain your position.

I appreciate the offer about the trails to DC---I will certain give you a ring before I go this summer---most likely in June before I begin working at the farm.
 
If you do them both at once, you want a surgeon who is comfortable doing that. One approach is to have a pair of surgeons do them simultaneously to minimize time under anesthetic.
 
I know my OS will not under any circumstances (except maybe an emergency) do BTKR. He will do two about 6 weeks apart at the earliest though, he prefers to wait 6 months. I didn't need it, but asked anyway.
 
OK, this has been worrying me.... how hard am I going to have to argue to get both knees done at once?
As you may know from other threads, I have just (6 Dec 2011) had BTKR. I chose it as the risks are just about double having each one done, and both mine needed doing. If both yours do need doing, then I recommend BTKR. It's hard, but why go through it twice?

I guess you can ask about each one individually, "would you do this if the other were OK?".

If he won't do it, find one that will. Worked for me!
I know my OS will not under any circumstances (except maybe an emergency) do BTKR. He will do two about 6 weeks apart at the earliest though, he prefers to wait 6 months.
Some idea of his reasoning for this would be interesting (academic for me :th_heehee: but real for many).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom