Guest viewing is limited

TKR Benne68’s TKR #2 Recovery

I look forward to being able to walk longer after I have my left TKR.
You will!

Interestingly, about six month after my right TKR, I noticed that my left knee wasn't complaining as loudly. I think the fact that righty was finally carrying its share of the load made lefty feel better. Hope the same happens for you.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're happy with your progress and rarin' to go soon. :egypdance:
Best Wishes for a fantastic 2024, Deb!
@benne68
 
I've prepared lunch and dinner (with some help from my anxious husband who is afraid I am doing to much) the past couple of days.
He just might be a keeper! Isn’t it nice to have someone who is trying to make sure you don’t do too much, instead of someone who thinks you aren’t doing enough?

My husband also stepped up for this TKR (and the first) and I have to admit I was a little surprised at how good he has been - for example, he is still changing my ice bottles out every night before bed and in the morning before he goes to work even though at this point I actually could do it myself!
 
6-week update: Progress continues and I'm definitely feeling that this recovery is progressing more quickly that the first. Latest highlights include
  • Flexion is up to 120, and I'm noticing the improvement in function. Can climb the stairs reciprocally without pulling myself up by the handrail! (Still not ready to do it on descent, though!)

  • Have been able to ditch the cane, even out in public. My gait is actually better without it.

  • Sleep is improving -- although it still takes a while to settle the knee into a comfortable position and it does still awaken me several times during the night, the uninterrupted sleep session are getting longer.

  • The knee pain has mostly subsided, but the rest of my leg muscles are in revolt. Thankfully, my physical therapist does a lot of hands-on work to release my IT band, calf muscles, etc. I'm also doing daily massage on my own. I know this will improve with time as my body adjusts to its new alignment -- and with more walking.

  • As far as walking, my FitBit says I'm averaging over 5000 steps a day. I need to increase the distance with each walk, but the weather here makes outdoor walking dangerous and walking inside the house is boring! Guess I will need to go mall walking until winter is over.
I see my OS on Tuesday for my six-week Xrays and post-op consult. Expecting a good report.
 
A most excellent update!
Yep, winter mall walking (here in a small we don't merit indoor walking so last winter I was making do after my first TKA with our large home improvement center!) .... definitely a better place to practice proper gait then endless loops wearing out the flooring at home!
 
Hubby and I went mall walking this morning. I agree that it's more fun than endless rounds around the house. He says he'd be okay to do it again. Maybe at some point I'll even have the stamina to want to add in a little shopping. But that might be the time he decides it's no longer for him:bored:My operated knee is taking it well and feeling stronger all the time.
 
I would do mall walking too except it bothers my other knee. Those floors. But more walking is definitely better and walking in the house is boring! I should try the other big stores.
 
Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday. I am sure you will receive a nod from your surgeon that all looks as it should and your progress is great. Thankfully this recovery seems to be moving along better than your first. May it only get better!
@benne68
 
Had my 6 week follow-up with my surgeon today: Xrays look good. Function looks good. Incision looks good.

And, he said my recovery so far makes HIM look good! :heehee:

I am officially released until it's time to go back for my annual check-in. Woohoo!
 
@benne68, so glad to hear your good news. Isn't it a funny thing to have had such a HUGE surgery, then to see the doctor once and then again not for a year? I was on the same schedule and when he said "See you in a year!" it struck me that it is such a weird system and made me glad that I have a great PT and Bonesmart and all of its kind and knowledgeable people!
 
Yesterday was 7 weeks post- surgery -- and I am celebrating on the ODIC bench!

After receiving such a great report from my surgeon this week, I got a bit cocky and thought I was superwoman (or, at least, the bionic woman) -- and waaayyyy overdid things the past two days.

Yes, I know better. I guess some of us (ME) need to be reminded the hard way that even the bionic woman needs sufficient time to recover.

So, to my knee recovery friends who are still early days, please: do as I say, not as I do!

:heehee:
 
Thanks for the heads up! I can see how that happens, so easy. Rest well!
 
This seems to be a trend, it must be a little contagious! Hope it’s a short stay and you are better soon.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom