Guest viewing is limited

TKR Benne68’s TKR #2 Recovery

I, too am 7 weeks out (rtkr 12/18/23) and am so thankful to hear that the second one involves less anxiety and fear than the first. My left knee is now bothering me and I know replacement is imminent and I am sooooo freaked out to do this again. My daughter is getting married in September so I have to be mobile and in less pain by then. Week four of this one, I overdid it and became extremely depressed. Couldn't stop crying.... I was so afraid things would never improve. It is truly a mental challenge as much as it is a physical challenge. Thank you again for your post.
 
I'm about a week ahead of you @kayakker, and the mental challenge has been real for me as well. So many times, I have thought, "Why can't this just be over, already?" It's particularly hard when you realize others' expectations are ahead of your present capabilities. Be kind to yourself. You may have to let your family know that you may have to have some help to participate or that you may have to participate in a more limited manner. Family and friends sometimes just want us all better even faster than we do.

Of course, you will be better in 7 months! Try not to judge what you will feel like in 7 months based on what you feel like now. In the meantime, you can share your concerns with us who can relate.
 
My daughter is getting married in September so I have to be mobile and in less pain by then.
My daughter is getting married in September too! That's why I opted to get the replacement done before Christmas -- to give myself the extra time for recovery.

My left knee is now bothering me and I know replacement is imminent
I don't know if this is the same for every one, but -- as my recovery from my right TKR progressed, I noticed that my LEFT knee was much less painful. Surgeon said it was because righty was now carrying it's share of the load. Leftie did so well that I was able to put this second replacement off for two years.

Week four of this one, I overdid it and became extremely depressed. Couldn't stop crying.... I was so afraid things would never improve.
Post op blues is a normal part of recovery. I had it this time around even though I knew it was coming! One morning, I felt so down that I warned my husband: "gonna be lots of tears today, so don't panic." Anyway, you might find this article helpful: Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it.
 
My surgeon indicated the left knee was three or four years out so maybe I can get some more time between it and my new knee. Lost both of my parents in 2022 so was hopeful that 2023 would be "my year." Then, the knee started acting up in the spring and I couldn't walk on it by September. It went fast and my PT said the second knee tends to go faster. I have a meeting with the doc on the 22nd to look at alternatives (injections, I guess...which didn't help the right one). I'd sure like to have some time to fully recover and get mentally prepared. In order to be in good shape by the wedding, I'll need to have it done in the next couple of months. Not ready!!
 
Tomorrow will be 2 months since TKR #2! Milestones since my last update include:
  • Although I still have some low-level pain, I only need pain relief meds occasionally. Elevating and icing in the evening seem to be enough. The majority of the discomfort is in my thigh and calf as they adjust to the new alignment. Really looking forward to seeing my massage therapist today (for the first time since before surgery) to work out some of the knots!

  • Function continues to improve. I now climb the stairs confidently without holding on to the banister, and, for the past couple of days, I've descended normally (although still hanging on for dear life!). Don't know (or care) what my ROM stats are since we rarely measure, but expect my physical therapist to release me this week based on good function.

  • My Fitbit recorded a couple of days above 7000 steps this week! Plus, I took my first uninterrupted one-mile walk around the neighborhood since last summer. A bit achy afterwards, but no pain at all during the walk. Unfortunately, with yesterday's snow storm, it's going to be back to mall walking for a while!

  • Sleep cycle continues to improve. Leg pain only awakened me once last night. I'm still using a couple of pillows to help the knee (and back and hip....) find a comfortable position.
I know there is still plenty of recovery ahead, but am feeling really optimistic. Overall, this recovery seems to be moving a bit faster than my first one. I'm convinced that's because of the knowledge I gained during that first recovery ... and everything that I learned here on BoneSmart!
 
WooHoo!!!! Stairs and a one mile walk are great 2 month milestones!!!!! :SUNsmile:
 
Love those milestones! I’m tracking right behind you, a couple weeks later. I also got my TKR training from BS on the first knee which helped a lot this time!
Mazel tov!
 
I also got my TKR training from BS on the first knee which helped a lot this time!
It really does! I honestly do credit BoneSmart with making this second recovery easier.

Although I joined the forum prior to my first knee surgery, I had not fully embraced the BoneSmart philosophy during the early days of my recovery. The voices of others (none of whom had actually been through a TKR recovery) were very loud, telling me I just needed to "push harder!" Those voices can be hard to ignore.

Thankfully, as I continued the journey, the common sense of the advice here started to ring true. Once I took it to heart, my recovery began to improve. That's why I've approached this second recovery differently.

Here's what I've learned from two TKRs:
1. Your body needs time to recover from the trauma of surgery -- in the early days, less is more!
2. When you do begin to move, let your knee be your guide of what and how much.
3. Don't fall for the myth of "no pain, no gain"-- if it hurts, back off!
4. Trust that your ROM will improve without forcing it -- it just needs time!
5. Finally, don't listen to those who haven't had a TKR when they "judge" your progress; they have no idea what this recovery is like. Our BoneSmart community does.

Best to all my fellow BoneSmarties on this knee recovery journey!
 
I am so jealous of your stair progress!!! I am still going up with the good, although I’m better on down. Glad you are doing well and hopefully you are to the part of recovery where you just get better every week.
 
@MSuki. It's still two steps forward, once set back for me. I default to the double-stepping technique on very steep or unfamiliar stairs. And I do hold on to the railing tightly!

You know you'll get there -- you did it with the other knee!
 
Finally, don't listen to those who haven't had a TKR when they "judge" your progress; they have no idea what this recovery is like. Our BoneSmart community does.
100% agree with this. And even be wary of some who have had surgery as everyone is different.
I made myself miserable in the first few months comparing myself to others- such as my daughter in law's father who had a very straightforward medial PKR with a very quick recovery. I had a more complex lateral pkr with leg straightening of severe valgus deformity.
I learned here to just judge my own progress.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom