TKR Benne68’s TKR #2 Recovery

Day 17: Saw my surgeon for my first post-op visit. He had me walk around the exam room, then sit on the table and swing and extend my leg so he could see my function.

He then pronounced me "boring" and said "Get out of here. You know what to do!" In other words all is going well with this second TKR recovery.

Do I have pain, stiffness and swelling at 2+ weeks out. Of course, I do!
Is my gait a little funny and slow? You bet it is.
Do I still need to elevate and ice most of the day. Yep!
Is getting a good night's sleep still difficult? Yes, it certainly is.

But theses things don't worry me because I know they are normal, temporary and part of the healing journey -- thanks to the experience I had with Rightie two years ago and the knowledge I've garnered here on BoneSmart.

For those of you who are struggling through this for the first time: have faith that it will get better with time.

...(and, of course, those afternoon chocolate treats). :wink:
 
Boring patients are the best :heehee:
The last thing you want to hear yer doc say is ".... oh.... THAT'S interesting..."
Here's to a (yawn) ho-hum mundane recovery!!!!!
 
That's the kind of appointment I like too! My endocrinologist appointments are always like that. She doesn't go so far as to say I'm boring but I am her diabetes poster child!
 
So glad you’re doing so well. I think to some degree it’s easier the second time. Not that it’s really easier, but more that our expectations are realistic. Also less worrying about the odd pains that pop up in different muscles. I keep thinking you might feel like you have to set a good example though. Remember you are still allowed to complain and vent too if you do have a bad day here or there!
 
Three weeks post-op today -- and I am spending it on the ODIC bench.

I overestimated how much I could do yesterday and am paying the price. So, icing and elevating extra and taking things easy today. Slow and steady wins the race... I am not the best at practicing what I preach about patience! :no-fin:
 
Feel better soon, benne! Hopefully you at least enjoyed whatever you "overdid". :wink:
@benne68
 
Thanks for mentioning reading the diary of the first TKR. I just did that and realized that my memory of the first TKR was fuzzy and soft focus, like a pleasant dream, so easy. Not! So now I’m adjusting my expectations to get more realistic. I think that will give me much relief.
 
I overestimated how much I could do yesterday and am paying the price.
Say it isn't so!!! (kidding....) That ODIC bench gets us even when we're trying to avoid it!

My apologies for neglecting your recovery thread. It sounds like your recovery is going along just fine! It is amazing how that second time around you just aren't as frazzled about every little twinge or setback. It reminded me of having a second child. That first one you are hyper-focused on every little thing and with the second one you're much more relaxed, realizing "oh, yeah, I remember this".

May your happy healing continue! :flwrysmile:
 
I just did that and realized that my memory of the first TKR was fuzzy and soft focus, like a pleasant dream, so easy
It's fascinating how our minds handle "bad" things, isn't it! Self preservation?
:wink:
That’s for sure. Denial has its place! In the back of my mind I knew it would be hard. If I had focused on that, it would have stopped me.
 
Good news is that you know how to take care of yourself to get back out of the ODIC, hope it is a fuzzy memory soon!
 
Saw my outpatient physical therapist for our initial consult today. Of course, he had to take baseline measurements for his records: my active flexion was 102 and my extension at 0. I'm pretty sure it's because I've been icing and elevating consistently to get my swelling down.

I know I could do this recovery on my own, but I decided to see him again (worked with him on my right knee recovery) because his approach suits me. There is no pushing into pain; no weighs or bands. Most of our time in session involves him observing me in motion and then doing hands-on work -- massage/acupressure -- to help release tight muscles and fascia.

After the hands-on work, I was able to make full rotations on the bike today, so definitely feeling some progress.
Slow and steady.:upright:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom