Guest viewing is limited

TKR Benne68’s TKR #2 Recovery

:console2: Awww, Deb!
Glad you enjoyed the time on the water and I hope the injury heals quickly.
 
So sorry to hear this. I hope it heals quickly with rest.
 
Today is my 10-month anniversary of my left TKR and I just realized that I haven't updated since May! Guess I've been much too busy living life!

It's so rewarding to have two functioning knees again.
  • In June, I enjoyed a trip to South Africa, that included a 14-hour plane ride (each way) and a week on safari climbing in and out of very tall safari vehicles.
  • Over the summer, I did lots of scrambling around on the sailboard (no more slips and falls!) as well as completing several long hikes in nearby state parks.
  • And, last month, I was able to dance the night away at my daughter's wedding -- two nights in a row!
I'm not going to say that everything is perfect. I still have soft tissue tweaks and occasional swelling when I spend a lot of time on my feet. I still get some stiffness if I've been sitting for a long time in the car or at the theatre. And my adductor muscles certainly still need strengthening.

But, compared with the unyielding arthritis pain that I dealt with prior to surgery, those are mere annoyances and don't stop me from doing the things I want to do.

Yes, this recovery takes time and lots of patience. But the results are so worth it!
 
Wonderful update, benne! Your post will inspire many following behind.
You've accomplished so much in the ten months since surgery, it is impressive.
Happy Ten Month Anniversary!
@benne68
 
What a wonderful update, and I am thrilled you're enjoying so many aspects of a pain-free life now. You are definitely putting these 2 knees to the test and making the best of them. Thanks for filling us in.
 
Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of Knee #2 (aka Leftie) and it continues to do well. My function is great -- I think it is actually a bit better that Righty which is more 3 years old at this point. (Righty was much worse and had had prior surgeries, so I guess the outcome isn't a surprise). Saw my OS earlier in the week for my one-year post-op and the bilateral Xrays of the knees look good.

Unfortunately, with all the great activity I've been doing with my two new knees, my left hip has been talking to me. New Xrays confirm it's time, so there will be a 2nd hip replacement in my near future. My surgeon said that he has never done both hips AND both knees in the same patient (3 out of 4, but not all 4!).

So, next year I will become a double-knee-double hippie. Arthritis is not for sissies!
 
Great report- but sorry about the hip needing doing. You really will be bionic!
 
HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY, LEFTY!
See what I did there? Making it special for one year and the holiday season, lol :wink:
ENJOY!!
:wreath::santa-dance:

@benne68
 
Hi Deb! It's been awhile since I was here but I'm back for a bit. My husband needs his left knee replaced and surgery is scheduled for July 29th, 2026. It's very inspiring to read how well you were able to travel after only 6 months post-op. We are planning a cruise to Australia/NZ in Jan of '27 and this is the soonest he can get his knee done after trying a cortisone with no results.

You are now truly the Bionic Woman! :dancy:

I'll be puttering around the site for the near future......
 
Hey there, Susie. It's good to hear from you, but not so good for your hubby. At least you have lots and lots of experience that he can glean from. As long as he listens to you!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom