TKR Benne68’s TKR #2 Recovery

So, after my excellent session on the bike Tuesday, I got a bit cocky and decided to try to get down on my yoga mat to do some stretching. Getting down was fine, and the stretching felt great.

But, then I needed to get back up! I tried several different approaches, but didn't have the strength. In frustration, I pushed too hard and ... now have a swollen, tender knee again -- and am back to intensive icing and elevating. :thud:

Am repeating this mantra: patience, patience, patience.
 
Oh, Deb, I'm sorry you made another appearance at the ODIC. You are doing the right thing today.
 
Oh no! Hope you are better soon. Sounds like something I would do so I know how it feels!
 
Definitely know that feeling of overconfidence followed by overdoing followed by upset knee! Hope your icing and elevation do the trick!
 
Hi Deb, I finally am getting caught up on people's posts and you are doing great! I don't think I did well enough to join the ODIC club at your stage!

Love the tip about the chocolate with mid afternoon meds. I had a prune with daytime pain meds. I'm glad you mentioned the complicated medication regimen! I had my husband keep track of pain meds since I would forget nearly everything, including what he just told me.

I felt soooooo good when I could get on the floor to put my legs up the wall and stretch. Had to do some yogic moves to get up!

Liz
 
Ahhhh the ODIC!!!

I found it worked to get up the exact reverse of getting down, new knee extended back and a bit out. Unfortunately I can't parse it out beyond that!
 
There's truth to that! In aikido every technique is practiced on each side, and it turns out a lot of us do have an overall dominant side.
 
I think I had conditioned myself after the first TKR to be careful with the left leg (the right leg hurt when walking but was fine for kneeling etc.) and it was a little bit difficult to switch my thinking. First few weeks I would come to a complete stop at every curb to make sure I stepped ”down with the bad”.
 
I can't do it on the left side! I guess I'm right-legged as well as right handed! :loll:
I think I have this problem as well! You and I did our knees in the same order! :heehee: First right, then left!

Oh no, Deb, the dreaded ODIC!! I'm sorry you're hurting!

I remember the first few times I got down on the floor and tried to get back up. I had trained myself for 10+ years go get on my left knee to protect my right (first TKR in 2010). Then when I got my Leftie done my muscle memory wouldn't let me switch knees to the right to get up! Leftie still doesn't like being kneeled on and Rightie is much better about it. As you know well......this too shall pass!

Take care, Deb! :friends:
 
Today is one-month post surgery, so time to do a quick status report.
  • Walking. I've logged an average of just over 5,000 steps/day on my FitBit for the past week. Thanks to the heel-toe practice, my gait is pretty good. I'm stable enough that I don't need my cane, although I do take it when I'm going to be out and around other people.

  • ROM. Not sure what I measure, but am definitely making progress: I was able to get in and out of the car yesterday without using the plastic bag to pivot or having to push my seat all the way back. Still need to climb stairs by double-stepping, but that will come with time.

  • Pain. I'm not pain-free, but the swelling is way done and I have far less discomfort. Oddly, it's not the knee itself, but all the angry muscles in my thigh and calf that are protesting. Massage and stretching help, but it will take time for all those soft tissues to adapt this new leg alignment.

  • Sleep. Am happy to be able to sleep on my side again, but still having difficulty finding a truly comfortable position. I awaken multiple times each night and need to get up and walk the hallway a bit before returning to bed.

  • Fatigue. Still need an afternoon nap, but my energy level is much better. I've prepared lunch and dinner (with some help from my anxious husband who is afraid I am doing to much) the past couple of days.
Interestingly, this is remarkably similar to where I was one month out from my first TKR! But, as last time, I'm searching for the "fast forward" button -- so I can move this recovery ahead about a month! :wink:
 
That's really good for a month out!!!
 
Great report! I'm just a couple of days ahead of you, and your comments ring true. You're doing great with accumulating steps daily. I look forward to being able to walk longer after I have my left TKR. It's challenging to do more than 10 min. now. So typical! Here I am barely started on recovery from my right and I'm already projecting what I'll do after my left :heehee:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom