TKR Benne68’s TKR #2 Recovery

Your surgeon knows what he's speaking about! I'm sorry about the swelling, without knowing it maybe you were up more than you thought?

That ice machine looks very interesting. I've never heard of it. Ask for a cup of hot tea, put some music on and say your going to read - you'll nap immediately!!!
 
Cool ice machine! I'm assuming it has a pad that wraps around your knee and circulates the cold fluid? With two separate machines you can have one in your living area and one in the bedroom so no lugging back and forth!

Sorry you have increased swelling but at least you know why and that it WILL go down eventually.

Happy healing! :wreath:
 
Day 6: The home health nurse removed the dressing covering my incision and cleared me for a shower. Ah, what joy that first post-op shower is! :SUNsmile:

Feeling almost human again (except for swelling, bruising, aching, limping and general fatigue). :wink:
 
I was able to shower day 1 in the hospital.
I was too with my first TKR but I think it was day 2. I had to wrap my leg in some kind of plastic that kept the incision dry. I'm still not sure to this day how I did it, groggy on pain killers. The nurse said she'd be nearby and if I needed help to pull the chain or holler. I had a shower chair and somehow managed to do it. (don't remember if I washed my hair or not) I was glad this second time to wait a few days and do my first shower at home.
 
Do you have a shower chair?
I agree. We put a bench in our shower prior to my hip replacement and it has been a godsend for these knee replacements. Since the shower itself is the walk-in type, it's easy to get in and out with my walker and sit down on the bench.

I was able to shower day 1
I think it's a function of the type of dressing on the wound. The one my surgeon uses is not supposed to get wet/damp and is supposed to stay on for 5 days. I had the same one for my previous knee and hip replacements, so it was expected. Thank goodness for those whole body bath wipes! :wink:
 
Day 9: Swelling is finally starting to resolve -- although my leg is still puffy, it's not as bad as the past few days. Bruising also seems to have peaked and is beginning to recede.

I also finally have pain management figured out -- alternating between Tylenol and ibuprofen, with plenty of icing throughout the day. I've taken oxycodone only at bedtime the past couple of nights. Sleep is better, but still interrupted.

My home PT encouraged me to try the cane at our session this morning. I really had to concentrate on heel-toe stepping to make it work, so will probably stick with the walker for a few more days. I don't want to start this recovery with a limp!

I know that every knee is different, even two knees in the same person -- but I'm so grateful to have the diary of my first recovery here on BoneSmart for reference. So far, Leftie seems to be following the trail Rightie blazed.

Wishing all my BoneSmart friends and very Happy Holiday season. Enjoy your celebrations!

:wreath::plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
@benne68 On trying the cane - My PT has that on my agenda for the day after Christmas. I'm eager to see how it goes. I was walking with a cane and a limp after surgery and do not want to continue the limp.

So glad to hear you have your pain management figured out. Have a happy holiday time!
 
I've only been using the cane when out the last couple of weeks. My knee gets tired fast so if I am going to do a lot, I use the walker.

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Don't let the therapist decide when to switch to the cane, you decide when to switch. Only you know how you feel and how stable and secure you feel. You are your best therapist!
 
Was the new ice machine covered by insurance?
Only the first two weeks are covered -- after that, I will be out of pocket. The coverage and rental cost are the same for the traditional ice machine. I decided to go with this one for the convenience factor of not having to worry about refilling it with iced water bottles every few hours.

I probably will keep this one for another two weeks because I found the icing so helpful last time. After that, I switched to ice packs because I didn't need to ice as often or for as long. We'll see show this recovery goes, but I will probably do the same this time.
 
@sistersinhim @CatieViv I was ready for the cane--had been taking very short trips in the house with no aid. I'm cleared to walk in the house without a cane but recommended to use it when out of the house. Thanks for the advice about longer trips. I might also feel more confident with the walker in that case. I still do tire easily. ROM this morning was 0-120 and I can start doing 6-in. step-ups. So far, so good. I need to watch the overdoing and not get too ambitious. I'd love a short walk in the neighborhood, though.
 
That ice machine sounds awesome! Isn’t the second recovery so much better mentally? I didn’t worry about things nearly as much with THR #2. I knew not to stress about things that would resolve in a matter of days.

Anyway, I am glad to read your recovery is going as expected and you’re progressing nicely!
 
Day 14.

I know every knee is different and I shouldn't to compare this recovery to my first -- but it's so hard not to!

These first two weeks have been a bit easier: I didn't have the nausea and appetite loss I experienced last time around. The swelling is mostly gone and the pain is lessening. I'm already able to sleep on my side, which means I'm sleeping better than with knee #1 when I was afraid of rolling over and hurting my knee during the night.

I guess because it's not my first rodeo and I know what to expect, I'm less worried about every twinge. I've done a better job of staying ahead of the pain with icing, elevating and meds. And I'm acknowledging that my knee is in charge.

Two weeks down... only 50 more to go!:heehee:
 
We all need moments that make us smile as we struggle through the early days of this recovery. My husband came up with a little routine that I thought I'd share.

During the first few weeks, we all have lots of different medications that need to be taken at different times -- creating a complex schedule that has alarms going off at all hours of the day and night. So my husband added a favorite treat to my afternoon schedule. When his alarm goes off at 3:30p, it is followed by the words: "Time for your chocolate pill!" and I am handed a truffle or a Baci or other favorite.

If you aren't a chocolate lover, stock up on a favorite cookie or other treat and add an extra alarm for it to your medication schedule. It will make you smile!
 
You've got a keeper! (and what a great idea)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom