Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

Time & patience. You are barely over a week. Many people cannot do what you are already accomplishing.

I know it's tough & we go stir crazy but improvements come slow the first 3 weeks.
 
You are very early in this long recovery. I spent my the first week and a half in hospital/rehab where everything was done for me. When I came home my best friend and family cared for me; making meals, grocery shopping, cleaning and this continued two months later when an infection meant a 2nd surgery and a PICC line for antibiotics. I only say this to put into perspective that you will need help for another week or maybe two, then you'll be able to do a little at a time. TKR is not easy.Here is the schedule for activity after a TKR, it is spot on for getting the best out of your TKR without pushing, which will set you back. Relax and let your family care for you, it's what you would do for them.
Activity progression for TKRs
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I am probably over doing it which will only set me back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's hard when you are used to being the care giver as I was. But I took my pain meds and let the fuzzy fog put me to sleep whenever possible. I've never been a napper, so I was happy to wile the days away napping. I also suffer from claustrophobia, so recovering during a Polar Vortex meant I stayed in the house a lot because I was afraid of slipping on the icy walks. Some days I'd just stand at the open front door.
I began to see a difference around week 4, so be patient and hold on for a few weeks. You'll get there.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Beginning my recovery.
. My daughter is working on decorating my room to help keep me happy. Which actually works it puts a smile on my face when I look at them. And she has been amazing at helping. Everyday she rubs lotion on my one foot because I can't reach it. She has been amazing thru this whole thing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Neat to read about your daughter taking care of you. Sounds like you are reaping the excellent seeds you have sown.
 
@Vangheluwec that is so sweet! She might be frightened to see her mom in such pain, but it's great that she is old enough to help, and I am hope it makes her feel better.

I know exactly what you mean, and being in pain can magnify all our frustrations :blackcloud:. Like KarriB, the pain mediation made me very sleepy and foggy, and I was happy to be waited on by family. I managed showers by myself, fortunately, but one of my biggest worries was having my grown kids doing my laundry and washing my underwear! How silly, I know! But I just didn't want that to happen. I stocked up on the essentials so I could manage 2 weeks without washing, and then when it was needed, I was able to manage the stairs well enough. I simply asked them to move the laundry basket down to the basement, the I went down and managed the washer and dryer, then asked the to bring the clean basket back upstairs. I guess we each have our own sticking points and that was mine.

Hang in there, as everyone says, it is early days yet. I am just over 9 weeks out and slept without pain meds for the first time yesterday!
 
What beautiful artwork from your daughter. She wants to do what she can to help you feel better. How old is she? I'm much older than you so my youngest was 24 when I had my knee done so no artwork for me!
 
Thank you all. My daughter is 5. I'm able to manage somethings on my own I just need help getting things set up. I'm definitely not missing the laundry part of it all, I am missing the cooking. But I get moms cooking so it all works out. That is great that you made it thru the night with no pain meds. I can't wait for that I get up at 1am and 5 am to take meds. I do a lot of sleeping within an hour of taking meds I'm asleep.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
These weeks will be over soon enough. I tried to do what I could sitting. Other washed/dried laundry, but I made sure I folded sitting in m chair. My substitute teacher wanted me to write lesson plans for her, but I couldn't hold a thought together for the first few weeks. Eventually, though I was able to enter grades in the on line grade book and even went to school for parent/teacher conferences at three weeks after my original TKR. Of course some drove me and I took my leg lifter to elevate during conferences.
 
So happy to know I'm not the only one who can't keep a thought. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am not taking anything stronger than Tylenol & Alleve but feel like an airhead due to lack of sleep.
 
I'm at the point where I feel useless I need someone to take care of me. I made 2 trips to the kitchen today. One to make an English muffin and another to heat up my rice pack. Now I'm in horrible pain. I hate that I can't take care of myself. My mom has to do almost everything for me. I can't even get the shower set up for myself. I can't make my own food because I can't stand that long. I can't even sit in my living room for more than 20 minutes because I need to come back to my room to elevate my leg so I'm comfortable. I hate I can't do anything. How do I get past this feeling of uselessness.
It's only 11 days since you had very major surgery. Annoying as it is, all you are feeling is normal for your stage of recovery.

KarriB has posted what level of activity you should be doing and I'm going to post the link to that same article:
Activity progression for TKRs
You'll see from that article that you shouldn't even be trying to make your own food yet. Stay out of the kitchen!

See, you're trying to do too much at this stage. I think that's why you're having so much pain, too. Your knee is telling you to stop trying to do so much.

You are taking your medications on a regular schedule too, aren't you?

Where are you using that hot rice pack? Because you shouldn't be using heat on your knee. Heat will make it swell more. At this stage, ice is what you need.

Here is an article that might help you to feel less bad about having to be helped:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

Your job right now is to rest, rest, rest, and to elevate and ice your knee. That's all! Time doing those things will be time well spent, because it will keep your knee happy, so that it can heal better. Try to look on resting as an investment in your future mobility.
 
@Celle i didn't know how to post the link, so I copied and pasted it. Hope that's alright.
 
Karri, I've asked the Moderators to tidy up your post a bit.
To post the actual link, you find the library index, select the title of the article, copy it, and then paste it into your post. You don't have to use the "Link" icon at the top of of your box where you're writing.
 
Karrim, I've removed the copy/paste stuff and replaced it with the link to the article. However, She did get all teh recovery articles in post #10 of this thread which included that one.
I am probably over doing it which will only set me back.
Well yes, you definitely are overdoing and it is far more likely than not to set you back!
 
I take my meds every 4 hours. I am using the rice pack on my back or neck only. I keep ice in my knee. I won't use it on my knee because it can cause swelling and other problems.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You just had surgery you have "permission" to be "lazy." Lots of naps are good. You're daughter is awesome.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom