Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

I used warm prune juice and high fiber diet (oatmeal with almonds and raisins). Was getting worried though. Had surgery Thursday and did not produce until the following Tuesday. Was about to buy the miralax. That seems to work for a lot of people.
 
It's day 4. I had or today we did not do much in measuring at 52 degree bend. He showed me some exercises he wants me to do. I woke up in extremely pain today and have been doing everything I can to help it. But it's not working I slept thru my alarm for the 1am meds. My knee feels more stuff then it has any other day is this normal. Their is a little bit of swelling but nothing to bad.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I kept ice on my knee almost constantly. I had 2 packs that fit in a Velcro sleeve. One was always in the freezer and one on my knee. They lasted a couple of hours before they melted. i used to pack myself in ice when I tried to sleep. Ice itself seemed to help my pain plus any pain meds I could take. It is very hard in the beginning. We are here for you even if you just want to vent.
 
I have the ice packs. I made them with the water and rubbing alcohol so they don't freeze solid. They are always on I have 4 or 5 and switch them about every 2 hours when they start warming up. It's just I can barely bend my knee today. I am not able to pick my leg up myself to put it in bed it's like their is no muscle their. Ugh just want things to get better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The nerves are coming back to life & all the manipulation from surgery is now magnified.

Your doing everything right it's just tough for a few days.
 
I felt the same way. I took a throw blanket and put it under my leg and used bot hands to pick my leg up. I also used it to do calf stretches and straightening my leg. It does get better but it's 2steps forward and 1 step back. I know some days I felt I only was going backwards but it takes time. You will get there!
 
The discomforts will get better. Hang in there!

I didn't rent a cpm machine for my second TKR. What I do instead is place the top of my other foot under the arch of my surgery-side foot, then gently assist as I slide my heel towards me in bed. I do this periodically and a few times before I get up- helps loosen my knee. As you recover you'll get your bend and your strength. It just takes time.
 
It sounds like I just need patients. The hospital gave me a leg lifter but it hurts more to use it so I just have someone lift my leg up. Thank you all for your help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Has anyone ever felt a big popping feeling in their knee after the tkr. We were getting my leg off the couch and it felt like something popped in it. I do have some swelling but it hasn't gotten worse from the incident. I just elevating and icing it in bed. I tried calling the dr office but they are closed.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The nurse came out today. They had to take me off cumadin because my blood was so thin that the machine couldn't read it. Pt will be here in the morning. The nurse said my incision looks good no signs of infection. The pain is better then it has been I've been taking one oxy codons every 4 hours instead of 2 every 4 hrs.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sure, I've had pops. Not especially big ones for me, but sometimes they hurt. They should gradually fade away as you recover.
 
Ok thank you. I was so worried this is all new to me so I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get further along.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The pop seems to be common. I'm glad you're doing ok. Don't try to cut back on the pain meds too fast. Take what you need to take to stay comfortable.
 
Don't under medicate at this point, you're just 5 days out and the pain is bound to be there. I couldn't lift my leg into bed or onto the pillows for weeks. I used the leg lifter to get into bed etc., but also for getting in and out of the car. I was afraid someone else would drop my leg.
 
I have popping too, assume it's from ligaments being rearranged.

Good to hear your pain management is better today.
 
I don't like the way the meds make me feel that's why I'm trying to cut back. Im not right when I take them. 30 min after I take them I pass out. And I'm just not with it. Lol. This feeling is not for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's not a great feeling, I agree, but for me it was better than the pain. Plus I knew my body needed to sleep in order to heal. We all heal differently, but keep icing if you're cutting down on meds.
 
I don't like the way the meds make me feel that's why I'm trying to cut back. Im not right when I take them. 30 min after I take them I pass out. And I'm just not with it. Lol. This feeling is not for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum


I can relate, between constipation, hot flashes, high to low mood swings & the loopy feeling I got off the oxy stuff on the 7th day post op. I have taken a Percocet before or after PT. But only a few in 6 weeks.
 
Their is almost always ice on my knee. If it a lot of pain or 1 doesn't help I do take 2 oxy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom